World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Antique baby carriage restoration Q&A's

2001

Q. I am refinishing an old baby buggy. The chrome is in good shape other then a few rust spots. How do I remove them? I don't know where to begin.

Joyce R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- London,Ont., Canada

Chrome Polish & Rust Remover

2001

A. The chrome is gone in the pitted areas, Joyce. Chrome polish should remove the rust, but you'll have to constantly keep it waxed or it will re-rust because there is no longer any plating between the steel and the outside world in those pitted areas.

It won't be cheap, but you might consider having it replated by a plating shop. Good luck.

2005

Q. Hi;
I am restoring an old baby carriage for my soon-to-come first grand-daughter, the same one we used 30 years ago for her mother. The chassis (bottom part of carriage with the wheels on it, for lack of a better term) is chrome-plated steel and has rust spots throughout. How can I restore this?

George Cruz
hobbyist - Yorba Linda, California

2005

Microcrystalline "Museum Wax"

A. The nickel-chrome plating is rusting because after all these years it is now porous, George. The correct restoration is to send it to a plating shop for replating. But if you can't afford that, you can clean it up with chrome polish; then, keeping it well waxed and dry will deter rusting quite a bit. Good luck.

2005

Q. Sir:
I have an old carriage (45 years old) and want to find a company who could restore it. The fabric (canvas) on the hood needs to be replaced as well as some of the leather straps. Any help would be wonderful.

Thom Milano
- Brooklyn, New York

2005

Q. I am refurbishing a baby carriage that has been in the family for 4 generations and need 4 hub caps. The wheel hubs are stamped with the name "Ariel" The caps are 1 1/4 with a tapered thread 20 per inch. I have 2 on hand but they are in poor shape. Any assistance would be appreciated

Jon Flood
- Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

A. Hi, Jon.

I think there is little chance of finding them, although you could check Ebay. But I'm confident that a local machine shop can make what you need, preferably out of stainless steel.

Need baby carriage (circa 1965) restoration

RFQ: I have a baby carriage -- coach style with large wheels and a leather-upholstered body, circa 1965, that has been in the attic for 25 years. It needs restoration.

1965 baby carriage -1   1965 baby carriage -2   1965 baby carriage -3

I welcome inquiries and prices from Mid-Atlantic restorers.

Judith Turner
Future Grandmother - Washington, DC, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Q. Hi I recently bought a baby stroller. I was wanting to know where I could find more info on it. Its a pull type (has like a wagon handle) two 11 inch wheels with two small wheels in the back to kept it from tipping over backwards (like wheelie bars on a drag car). It looks like it has a removable shade (which I think I am missing some pieces) that stores under the seat when not in use. The seat folds back when baby is sleeping and it folds forward and handle folds back when not in use. Also has wicker sides. I found it in s.e. Iowa don't know if that will help any. Thanks, Mike.

Mike Emick
hobbyist - lamar Colorado

Q. A friend of mine has a 1930's chrome Chevrolet baby buggy and wants to know how much its worth how do we find that out ?

kattie leonna
- las vegas, Nevada

Kovel's Antiques and Collectibles

A. Antiques Road Show wouldn't be a big hit if such questions were easily answered, Kattie :-)

Start with a good antique shop. Or, to approach it on the cheap, track e-bay auctions of antique baby buggies. Or see if any help is available at www.restorers.com, and see if your library has a copy of "Kovels' Antiques & Collectibles Price Guide" [paid link to info about the book at Amazon]. Good luck!

This is a metal finishing site, and the metal finishing of these items is our only genuine interest in them. Sorry, but this site doesn't offer or print appraisals.

----
Ed. note July 2016: Sorry, www.restorers.com appears to be gone.

Restoring metal baby carriage frame, 1940s?

Q. Hi! I recently acquired an old baby carriage, and working with vintage metal is all new to me. It seems to have all the pieces except the wheel covers. So far I don't see any brand or symbols on it but it is in desperate need of cleaning... My question is what do you suggest for cleaning and then restoring the metal, including the wheels? I really want to salvage this piece. The metal seems solid, just very greasy and dirt covered, also scratched. Some rust. The carriage handle, which is one long rounded handle attached on both ends to the frame looks to be plated because the silver is somewhat scratched through and shows the dark metal underneath. I am looking for as much information as possible or further contacts to go to, on how to clean and restore the metal frame and wheels, as after that I will have to move on to re-covering it.

1940s baby carriage 1  1940s baby carriage 1

I was entrusted with this item in hopes to be able to restore it and am looking for any helpful information and sources. Thank you!

Dorothy Bohnert
hobbyist - Joliet, Illinois, USA

A. Try Canadian Conservation Institute website -- there you can find very good info on conservation and care of metal objects! Hope it helps and good luck!

RFQ: I have an old baby carriage I'm looking to restore who can do this for me?

Christina Henze
- Longmont, Colorado

Q. I am restoring a Perego Baby Carriage...Luxury model and need to whiten the wheels, and the inside (which is white vinyl but has stains). It is chocolate brown with a white stripe on both sides that also need to be whitened. Is there anything I can use to fix this problem? All of the chrome around the wheels is in excellent shape and so is the body. I can't find anything that works...thanks so much.

Posey Thomson
- Santa Cruz, California

A. Hi, Posey. Back in the days of that carriage, carbon tetrachloride (Carbona) was the one thing that would work instantly and perfectly on white vinyl. It is toxic and has been banned from consumer products for a long time, so I doubt that you will find it. You might very cautiously try a white wall tire cleaner like Bleche-Wite [paid link to product info at Amazon] on the upholstery since you'll want it for the tires anyway.

RFQ: I've been cleaning up a carriage that my in-laws gave us to use as a bassinet and buggy. The carriage is missing a chrome handle that is "S" shaped and attached to the upper end of the buggy.I think the carriage was manufactured in the 1960's, it's blue with a little window for the kid to look out of when they get big enough. You can also adjust the angle at which you prop the "passenger." Are there restorers or people who have these parts on hand? I'd buy another carriage just for the part but I don't know where to look aside from craigslist and ebay.

Kevin Padden
hobbyist - Boise, Idaho
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

RFQ: Hi. I bought an antique baby buggy at an estate sale that is missing a wheel. Where do I find a replacement? Thanks! Trish

Trish Spatz
hobbyist - Richardson, Texas
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi, Trish. It's hard to find antique baby buggy wheels and rugger bubby bumpers.

I would try eBay, Black Market Antiques, and possibly Speedway Motors in Nebraska.

www.restorers.com has some threads on the subject, including offers by shops to repair old carriages. But it may be more practical to see if a local machine shop can make something for you. Good luck.

----

Need chroming for restoring old baby carriage

RFQ: I need various parts re-chromed including the spoke wheels and the undercarriage.
The undercarriage is riveted together. Is it possible to re-chrome this without taking it apart?
I live in Staten Island NY and I am looking for a chrome plating shop in NYC or NJ area.
What is the cost of something like this?

Vincent Priolo
hobbyist - Staten Island, New York, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

A. Hi Vincent. It's probably possible to re-chrome without removing the rivets. But the cost will probably be a shock. Take a look at our "Introduction to Chrome Plating" to understand why it's going to take them a couple of hours of handwork; and unfortunately they can't work any cheaper than your plumber or auto mechanic :-(

50ish Mercury coupe baby buggy?

54847

Q. Hi there, I have recently acquired this baby buggy and I am having a difficult time obtaining any information on it. I did find one online through a search, it was completely restored. BEAUTIFUL! unfortunately there was no contact information available. If you know anything about this item please let me know. Thank you in advance
Again, thanks.

Shawneen T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
amateur - Beloit, Wisconsin USA

A. Hi, Shawneen. If you want to locate a shop or you need tips on refinishing it yourself, we may be able to answer your questions. The history might be interesting too! But we can't help buy, sell, or appraise such items. Good luck.

A. To Shawneen T: your baby buggy was made in Germany between the 40s and the 50s by van Delft; it is called a Kender wagon. I have two of them, they are all different they seem to be.

Tammy ecott
- Las Vegas, Nevada

(You're on the 1st page of this topic)       Next page >