HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 38265

Why must Copper Bus Bar be Tin Plated?

A discussion started in 2005 & continuing through 2017 -- add your Q to bring it back to the Hot Topics page.

(2005)

Q. Sir,

Why do we need Tin Plated Copper bar to be used in 6.9 KV busbar interconnection. My question is What is special with Tin Coating for copper bar?

Thanks and Regards,

ROY L. HARADJI
Oil Co. - Abu Dhabi, UAE

(2005)

A. Copper oxidizes and the oxides do not stay on the copper well. When they come off there is more copper exposed, which in turn oxidizes, and so-on. Also the oxides do not conduct well. This causes poor electrical contact, which then gets hot and increases the oxidation rate. The oxides, because of their poor conductivity, also cause arcing at the electrical contacts, eroding the copper.

Tom Gallant
- Long Beach, California, USA

(2005)

A. Tin plating has two main technical advantages:

1. The thin tin oxide film (10-30 nm) forms on the surface of the tin coating could act as a shield, inhibiting further oxidation; and

2. Being a relatively soft metal, tin provides a low constriction resistance.

T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan
T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

(2005)

A. Tin plate works well to prevent corrosion and provide a good, clean contact surface. However, I prefer to heat the end of the copper end of the part to be coated, apply flux and then melt solder onto the surface, which I smooth out with a solder brush. Use lots of flux(soldering paste). The final step is to smooth our the coating and eliminate lumps and drips with a wet rag, wiping quickly to remove excess material.

Come to think of it, it might be easier to tin plate! Why didn't I think of that?

The advantage of soldering the connection surface is the heavy coating that results.

Daryl P. Spindler, Sr., CEF
- Greenbrier, Tennessee

Q. We are manufacturing different types of Copper/Aluminium Busduct as well as panels; in these systems we use a lot of copper, we inquire the effect of tinning on Copper Bus & Aluminium Bus (meaning Current Capacity, i.e., how many percent increase in current )

Jagdish
power systems - Nashik, Maharastra, India

A. Hi Jagdish. The ampacity is not increased, but the reliability of the joint is increased.

Q. Why does bare copper bus bar turn black colour in power control panel?

Samirendu Ray
- Indore, M.P, India.

Q. Why black colour marks are formed on the tin coated busbars of the new panel board which not yet energized

krishna raj
student - Mumbai, India

A. Hi.

Black discoloration of metals is often a sign of the presence of sulphides. But if you send a photo of the marks, people may be able to help you more.

Q. Dear sir,

I am studying types of plating used for industrial application and to get more information, I went through website, visited a small industry (who does plating on conductors), and I have some queries.

Which plating is best for copper-copper and copper-aluminium and aluminium-aluminium contacts.
Most of the companies do silver plating, tin plating, nickel plating, etc.

How should we make difference between these types of plating, and what factors we should consider?

Thanking you,
Sanj

Sanj Wish
- Mumbai, India

A. Hi, Sanj. May we assume you are referring to plating of bus bars? If you are talking about other kinds of contacts, this becomes an electrical engineering project to look at the voltages, currents, arcing, durability, contact pressure, required reliability, etc., etc.

For bus bar the standard would be to plate any aluminum completely with copper first, and then to plate the copper contact surfaces with tin. It is possible, however, to more directly plate aluminum with tin.

Q. By theory, normally for joints we do plating, and silver plating has less resistivity than tin and nickel plating so joint resistance will be good in case of silver plating.

But is it really practically possible to plate aluminium with copper and then plate it with tin?

Whether it will not affect the current carrying capacity and will not create any chemical reaction (copper + aluminum + tin plating)

and I want to know that what will be the basic factor to select one plating from these three types of platings.

Specially, how current density will be affected?

sanj

sanj wish
- india, mumbai

A. Hi, Sanj. Current density will not be affected -- only the reliability of the joints.

Yes, entire manufacturing plants have been devoted to making aluminum bus bar and plating it with copper. Atotech used to offer, and may still offer, their Alstan process for plating aluminum directly with tin, skipping the copper plating step. So, both tin directly on aluminum and tin on copper on aluminum are common.

Certainly galvanic corrosion is possible any time any object is partially covered in one metal and partially covered with another metal, such as is the case with aluminum bus with copper, tinned or silvered ends -- but exposure conditions determine whether this is an actual problem or simply a potential concern, and often it's not.

Nickel plating tends to be hard, and it is used for contact surfaces such as battery chargers. Tin is significantly less expensive than silver, but the conductivity is lower and in some cases tin whiskers could be a problem.

I am working on a design and a component and it has silver plated connection tabs. This is a given and cannot be changed.

The busbar that connects to this in our equipment is Tin plated so my concern is the joining of the two dissimilar plating materials. They are not close to each in the galvanic corrosion table and so I'm concerned with corrosion occurring.

I was thinking of having an intermediate busbar but plated tin on one side and silver on the other or something like this.

Would this be possible and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Andy Mellor
- Stafford, Staffs, UK

Hi Andy. I don't think an intermediate connection would make any difference, as the galvanic compatibility issue would still be there. If the environment is benign, galvanic corrosion will probably not be an issue. And if the area of tin (the baser metal) is large compared to the area of silver (the nobler metal), the issue would be minimized.

Q. I have a switchgear application where we have to design 6000A copper busbars for the main bus.
Generally we use tin plated copper busbars.
1. Do we have to switch to silver plated busbars?.
2. Still use tin plated copper bus, but silver flash at the bus joints only for better contact surface?
3. Does the silver plated bus radiate/conduct more heat than tinned copper bus of the same size?
4.Does the silver plated bus conduct more current than tinned copper bus of the same size?
5.When does one decide to use silver plated bus?
Shall appreciate if I could be helped with answers for all or some of them.
BALA.

BALA SINMAYANANDAN
COMMERCIAL SWITCHGEAR - TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA

Q. I would like to know which type of plating would be better for automobiles electrical switch contacts. Right now, we are using copper contacts with silver plating. Will tin plating be good for these type of contacts?

Jitender Khurana
- Gurgaon, Haryana, India

A. Hi Jitender.

The design of electrical contact surfaces is an advanced electrical engineering science; so as a neophyte myself, I don't want to suggest that there is a simple universal answer to your question. But I do think that for 12 volt low amperage contacts, electroless nickel may be a good choice. It's what you'll usually see in AC adaptor devices for charging cell phones and cordless tools, and on the contacts of cordless phones, etc.

I am working in energy. I want to know the difference of Current Carrying capacity of Silver plated and Nickel plated copper. Also describe the merit of both of them.

Best Regards

Engr. Monir

Md. Moniruzzaman
- Dhaka, Bangladesh

A. Hi Monir. I must repeat that my knowledge of this science and technology is minimal, and that some engineers send their entire careers trying to deal with your question; there are surface transmission effects depending on frequency, burning and arcing issues, and hosts of others. But at low frequency, the current is carried by the copper, not the silver or nickel plating. They are there for hardness, wear resistance or lubricity, perhaps appearance, to prevent oxidation of the copper, etc.

Nickel is harder and more durable and is probably preferred for most repetitive contact applications; silver is probably preferred for permanent contact applications like bus bar joints and for easier soldering.

Q. We are using 'cut-to-length' tin plated copper busbar. Do the ends have to be 're-tinned' after cutting (if possible)?

Ayanna Greene
- Boston, Massachusetts USA

A. Hi Ayanna. I can't see any reason for that to be a problem unless the environment is hostile.

Q. Hi, I would like to know what will happen if I connect a tin plated busbar to a silver plated busbar. Will it damage or have negative effect in long run? If I use a bi-metal on the connection, will it have effect?

Chris Kho
- Jakarta Utara, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia

A. Hi Chris. To the extent of my own knowledge, I would not be concerned about this at all.

Q. Hi All,

My question is regarding the plating of the busbar while making Copper to Aluminium busbar bolted joint? I read that as per the literature available, if either or both the busbar are plated with Tin than the joint remains stable.

My question is, can we do tin plating only on the copper busbar leaving Aluminium busbar as it is? If Tin plating only on copper busbar is acceptable, then it can reduce the laborious process/time and cost of plating the Aluminum busbar.

Also if it is fine to leave Aluminum busbar non plated, is it required to treat aluminium for Aluminum oxide ...like remove the oxide layer and apply grease on the Aluminum busbar surface?

The application is low voltage switchgear up to 4000A rated current .

Thanks for answering the question.

Deepak H
- Mumbai, India

A. Hi Deepak. In my estimation, the ends (contact areas) of aluminum busbar must always be plated. Here in the USA, aluminum house wiring used to be used until there was a fire at the Beverly Hills supper club in 1977, a tragedy that killed 165 people, and which was blamed on aluminum wiring. Please see
http://cmrris.com/news-real-estate-details/17/aluminum-wiring-hazard-mitigation.html
for a summary of what is thought to be wrong with aluminum wiring and how it may affect your decisions. Good luck.

Q. Is it necessary to put bimetallic strip in joints of a tinned copper busbar & aluminium busbar? Please explain.

Gunjan Singh
- Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Gunjan. Sorry but I don't understand the question. To my knowledge unplated aluminum busbar is not really satisfactory, although I have seen it used with No-Ox-Id compound for joints permanently bolted to copper. I've never personally seen "bimetallic strips" in any joint, although this 3rd asking of the same question might indicate that maybe I'm just ignorant about a commonplace approach :-)

Q. MY QUESTION IS WHY DO WE HAVE TO PUT HOT COPPER BUS BARS IN WATER AFTER TINTING ^TINNING?

ARE THERE SOME DANGER/HAZARDS IF YOU DON'T DIP THEM IN WATER, AND WHAT TYPE OF HAZARDS?

SIMPHIWE MADYWATI
- CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

A. Hi Simphiwe. Sorry but I don't quite understand. Please explain what you are doing. Thanks.

A. If you're talking about rinsing, it's important to remove the plating chemicals. Not only is it important to ensure quality, it is also for safety and many other reasons. It's not a huge danger but rinsing parts after plating helps keep the workplace clean and provides safety for the people using the items amongst multiple other reasons.

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

Q. Dear Sir

As we are aware the resistance of tin is more than copper, so will tinning of copper on the contacts affect the current flow?

Shabeeb
- Thrissur, Kerala, India

A. Hi Shabeeb. Tin plating will improve the current flow because the tin does not oxidize as badly as the unplated copper, so it makes a better contact surface.

Q. Dear sir,

Is zinc coating for copper busbar as good as tin plating?
What is better between coating zinc or tin?

Asif Akiwate
- Pune, India

A. Hi Asif. Zinc plating will form gummy, resistive, corrosion products. Zinc is certainly not an acceptable plating for bus bars. Sorry.

Q. Sir,

What is the effect of tin plating on the copper. Remember the skin effect current is passing through the outer surface of conductor. We have tin plating on the copper, now copper is the conductor. Tin has different resistance and copper has different resistance. Now my question is: tin will affect the total resistance of the copper bar because of tin plated on the copper? In this case copper resistance is affected or not.

Please give detailed answer.

Jack

Jalal Maryland
Student - Duabi, UAE

A. Hello Jack. Very high frequency currents do tend to travel on the "skin" of a conductor rather than through it's core. But the study of that phenomenon is an electrical engineering discipline which is a subject of greater depth than can be handled here, off-topic for this metal finishing site, and probably not what you were asking anyway :-)
I only mention it to not mislead people who may have found this page because of the search term "skin effect", which we are using in a different way than they might.

We are talking here about bus bars, and they are used for DC current or low frequency AC current, where the current flows through the bar, not on its skin. The resistance of a bus bar, and thus its current carrying capacity, are related to its resistivity as follows: Resistance = resistivity X length ÷ cross-sectional Area.

Since 99.9%+ percent of the cross sectional area of the bus bar is copper, the bus bar's current carrying capacity is not measurably increased or reduced by plating the bar with another material.

38265 bus bars

However, getting the current into and out of the bar requires that the contact faces be conductive rather than resistive, and silver or tin plating will do a better job than copper for the reasons already discussed on this page, offering a less oxidized skin. Remember that when you are calculating the resistance across the joint rather than along the length of the bar, per "Resistance = resistivity X length ÷ cross-sectional Area", now "A" is the cross sectional area of the joint and "length" is the thickness of the plating. So this piece of the Resistance is extremely minor because "length", the thickness of the plating, is next to nothing. Good luck.

Q. Ted,
If installing a tin or silver plated copper bus bar as a "bay" frame ground for terminating EQP grounds within the bay, is there a need to utilize No-Ox-Id between the EQP 6 AWG ground lead and the mounting surface position of the buss bar? If not, is it because the plating of the bus bar coupled with the fact that Telco sites are controlled environments negate the need to utilize No-Ox-Id?

Antoino Randolph
- Trabuco Canyon California US

A. Hi Antoino. I have a good deal of experience in electroplating shop environments, and a small amount as an amateur electrician. But I am not qualified to comment on codes or best practices in your field. All I can say is that, if you are not in a cleanroom environment (which might discourage use of compounds), and there is no other reason to specifically discourage joint compounds, it would seem that electrical joint compound is always a good idea.

If you are using tin plated copper bus, is there any advantage to silver plating the connection point?

Paul Sauder
- Regina, SK, Canada

A. Hi Paul. I doubt it, and I've never personally heard of it.

Must we de-rate copper bus bar if we tin plate it?

We have 658HP VFD drive(415V/3ph/50Hz) & installed in factory where the surrounding is corrosive due to which the copper bus bar & DC bus plates are getting blacked. We are planning to do tinning to all copper bus bars & DC bus plates. So want to know whether to consider any de-rating of copper when tinning or other way is copper bus bar current capacity de-rate due to tinning?

Sayed Hassan
- Mumbai India

A. Hi Sayed. I would not anticipate any need for de-rating based on my understanding of the situation. However, there still may be codes or "best practices" that I would not be aware of since large horsepower variable frequency drive installations are not my field.

Q. I would like to know, is there any requirement for the copper bars in a busbars to be plated with Tin along the entire length as the bars are insulated with Epoxy, which is electrostatically deposited on to bare bars.

Bibin Joy
- Dubai, UAE

A. Hi Bibin. I can't answer that question and I doubt that anyone can because you seem to be asking about job requirements or specification requirements rather than a technology question. But certainly I would expect an epoxy coating to deliver even better corrosion resistance than tin plating. Best of luck.

A. Tin will actually slightly increase the conductivity of the buss bar because you are adding metal.
Conversely, powder coat is an insulator and will not let the buss bar dissipate The heat to the atmosphere as well.erature As the temp goes up, so does the resistance which will generate more heat. So, your operation will probably be less efficient.

Conductivity of bus bar is too low

Q. Please, I need help regarding bus bar manufacture.
We are producing copper bus bar (OFE COPPER BUS BAR) but sometimes it comes with low electrical conductivity. WHAT CAN MAKE THIS CONDUCTIVITY LOW?

ahmed ismail farag
- RIYADH,ASIA,SAUDI ARABIA

A. Hi Ahmed. Our focus is finishing and I know little about copper smelting. But the conductivity of copper declines drastically with even a very small amount of contamination because any impurity interrupts the travel of the free electrons. Are you absolutely sure the copper is electrolytically pure?

Can we use galvanized hardware to join copper bus bars

Q. Can we use galvanized steel to assemble the panel copper bus bars?

khaled abo talib
- riyadh, kingdom of saudia arabia

Q. An electroplating plant has bus-bars which carry up to 1000 A at 6 V dc. The surroundings are very wet with water and electrolyte. Should the bus bars be insulated and if so, why?

nurul syazmeen
- - melaka, malaysia

A. Hi Nurul. No, the bus bars should not be insulated. But the bus bars are not the problem; the problem is that the surroundings are very wet, and you should examine carefully any assumptions about what conditions are unavoidable. Please see my article "Plating Shops for the New Millennium". Good luck.

Q. Please, regarding manufacturing of tin plated copper bus bar: anyone can guide me to specification for electroplating of tin on copper?
Which specification can I follow? What is the minimum AND maximum tin thickness ON COPPER BUS BAR?

ahmed ismail
- riyadh-SAUDI ARABIA

Q. Sir,
I want your help.
At present we are facing problem of High temperature in our 6.6/11 KV Bus Bar Joint, CT Connection joints temperature is up to 120 °C
I want to know what best solution to avoid this is.

Shekhar Mundhada
- Jamnagar, India

A. Hi Shekhar. We have posted your inquiry and hopefully someone will help. My experience is in metal finishing, not switchgear design, although it sounds like the conductors are probably too small for the current they are carrying.

Q. I am working on a lighting project that uses a 10 AWG equivalent round copper busbar for low voltage track lighting. The voltage is 12V AC or DC, and the maximum current through the system is 20 Amps.

The sections of the track are joined with spring-loaded blades that slide against the copper busbar, much like the typical track lighting interconnects you would see at Home Depot.

My questions are:

1. Do you think I need to plate the copper busbar to ensure connection reliability, or would bare copper by acceptable due to the low voltage and relatively low current?

2. If plating is necessary, would nickel plating perform reliably compared to tin plating? Our contract manufacturer already nickel plates many parts for aesthetic purposes, but they don't do tin plating. So nickel plating would be familiar to them, but I don't know if nickel plating has any significant disadvantages over tin plating.

Chris Ruhland
- Chicago, Illinois, USA

A. Hi Chris. Again, I don't portray myself as an expert in such subjects by any means ... but I don't see any need to plate the copper. Make sure, of course, that you are using electrolytic grade copper as even a small amount of impurities has a devastating effect on electrical conductivity.

Q. Whether tinned copper bus bars are required in a medium of SF6 gas. Whether the current carrying capacity gets de-rated in SF6 gas medium?

Manas Bhattacharjee
- New Delhi, India

38265-2

A. Hi Manas. I know nothing of SF6 switchgear, but certainly any joints would seem to benefit from tin plating irrespective of what medium the joint is in, because you will not be manufacturing the copper and assembling the joint within an SF6 environment, but out in the open.

Please try to detail your actual situation rather than casting the proposition in the abstract with sentence fragments :-)
There would seem to be no air cooling within a pressurized SF6 environment, so presumably you must de-rate accordingly. Good luck!

Q. Dear All

I had a question, what grade of copper is being used and which will be the best?

Grade:
- ETP Grade - IS 613, BS 2871C-101 or
- DHP Grade - IS 2501-DHP, BS 2871C-106.

What is the main difference between both grades.
Which will be used in Bus ducts system and Panel boards ?
Please provide me with details.

Jaffer Saleem
bus bar manufacturer - Riyad, Saudi Arabia

Discoloration of tin plated bus before it's even used

Q. Why black colour marks are formed on the tin coated busbars of the new panel board which not yet charged?

Raviraj Channalli
automation - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Q. I am struck in this situation, hope someone will extend a helping hand

A copper cable to be connected(either crimped/ soldered/ pressure/screw fitted) to stainless steel bus bar and the bus bar is to be connected to the power supply of 12 V DC.

38265-3a  38265-3b

Now I have the following queries:

1. Can a connection be possible from copper wire to Stainless steel bus bar ? If yes, what are the factors need to be considered ? Can copper wire be connected to copper coated stainless steel bus bar ?

2. What type of connection between copper wire and steel is feasible( crimping,clamping , screw etc).

3. In my case, coating of stainless steel with any metal will make the connection feasible? if possible also the electric transfer efficiency of the connection in various cases?

Thanks in advance...

Abhilash Mondrathi
- Coimbatore , Tamil Nadu, India

A. Good day Abhilash.

I think you should consider the current carrying capability of stainless vs. copper buss bar. The "electric transfer efficiency" of stainless is much lower than that of copper.
Connections can be clamped or bolted with the use of an oxide grease. They can also be clamped or bolted and soldered.
Hope this was helpful.

Eric Bogner, Lab. Tech
Aerotek Mfg. Ltd. - Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Q. Coating the stainless steel bus bar with copper can solve the issue and establish an efficient power connection in my case?

Or plating of the bus bar with any metal will be helpful in my case?

Abhilash Mondrathi [returning]
- Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India

"No-Ox-Id" Compound

A. Hi Abhilesh. I think that Eric was suggesting that stainless steel is not a very good bus bar substrate material -- it's current carrying capacity is only about 10% of the current carrying capacity of copper bus bar. But if you will be using stainless steel anyway, yes, it must be plated.

Copper plating should be sufficient for a 12 V power supply situation if the connection is tightly bolted, and a compound is used. But copper plating the bus bar, and then silver plating all of the contact surfaces would be better. Good luck.

Two questions,
1. Is is advisable to place a bimetallic washer in between a tinned copper and tinned aluminum termination of an electrical joint?
2. We always find some white powder over the tinned copper lugs. It is actually a Cu-Al joint? What and why is that white powder present there?

Please answer as I didn't find any answers so far.

Rahul kumar
- Chennai, tamil nadu,India

Q. Hello Sir,

We are using the copper bus bars with Tin plating (8 to 10 microns thickness). Some of the bus bars are Silver plated. These silver plated bus bars are oxidized (light black shades). So which type of solvent can be used for cleaning the black shades? Can you please suggest the solvent?

RC murthy.
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India.

A. Hi Murthy. You're the second person to ask that this week, and my answer until I hear otherwise is that I don't know why everyday silver polish (used for flatware) could not do this job. If you google "MSDS silver polish" you will see lists of important ingredients. Good luck.

I have question about oxygen free copper, specifically about C10100 (Cu-OFE) and C10300 (Cu-PHC) ? Do they need to coated/plated (tin,nickel ...) to prevent oxidation? some sources state they don't.

Ivan Barbaric
- Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia

A. Hi Ivan. High purity copper is quite corrosion resistant, and I'm quite familiar with applications where bus bar is not tinned. But it seems that it would depend both on the specific application and any standard codes that apply. Good luck.

38265extA

38265extB

A. This post is in response to the many questions regarding bus bars and which type of plating is best for the application.

I have worked for several large electrical equipment manufacturers over the years and there is no simple answer to which type of plating is best; however, there are only two which are exclusively accepted for electrical distribution: tin and silver.

Electrical equipment is installed indoors and outdoors and subject to moisture, salts, and reactive atmospheres; so, many years have been devoted to failure and cost analysis, and a lot of trial & error. Each has its merits and shortcomings and so knowing the environment in which the equipment is to be installed is of paramount importance.

I would suggest reading Data Bulletin 0100DB0401 "Electrical Equipment and Components in Adverse/Corrosive
Environments" published by Square D =>
It is a comprehensive examination regarding choice of plating materials and would likely answer many of your readers questions.

Another document worth mentioning is Data Bulletin 0108DB0602, "Thermal Aging Study of Tin Plating on Aluminum" =>

Most of your major manufacturers have tomes of white papers and publications regarding electrical equipment design and failure analysis and offer a wealth of information at the click of a button.

Scott S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Large Manufacturer - Austin, Texas

A shop dating back to WWII that I worked at put a sheet of aluminum foil between the copper layers of bolted joints.
It seemed to work quite well and was certainly low cost.

thumbs up signThanks Scott!

Very interesting, James, but I don't understand what that is supposed to do or how it's supposed to do it :-)

Q. Please, what does it take to De-oxidise Bus bars and what are the steps to do it?

Charles Emmanuel Ngozi
- Lagos Nigeria

A. Hi Charles. Although "De-oxidize bus bars" means "remove oxidation from bus bars", it may not be possible for anyone to answer that question except the customer who requested it :-(

It MIGHT mean lightly sand the joint area and apply anti-oxidation compound, but it might not. We'd need to see it in context.

Black-green deposit on automotive copper terminals

Q. We are facing a problem in car head light switch. There is blackish green deposition on the copper terminals (only the terminals connected to battery ground, the rest are OK). During EDX analysis of copper we observed the deposition of potassium and sulfur. Can there elements come from battery or is this related to environment or something other. Please help.

Dheerendra Singh
Automotive (car) switches manufacturer - Gurgaon , Haryana , India

A. That sounds like a reaction with pollutants in the air, likely SO2. "Blackish green" sounds like a mixture of CuS and other Cu compounds.

How's your local air quality? Perhaps you could install some kind of air filter.

Q. Thank you Mr. Dave
I also think same this is like CuS, but this deposition is only on three terminal rest are OK, we have received almost 50 defective parts all have same pattern only three terminals which are connected to the battery ground have the deposition , if the cause is polluted air it should be on entire all Cu terminals.

Dheerendra Singh [returning]

Q. Good Morning all!

Dear sir,

I have a doubt which type of insulation we have to provide in tinned copper busbar cutting edges whether we have to do tin coating again?

Please give a suggestion.

Sriram R.
electrical Industries - Muscat, seeb, oman

A. Hi Sriram. It is possible that a given customer spec or industry standard requires replating of the ends. If you find no such spec, I guess my feeling would be that if only the contact ends of the bar are tin plated, there would not seem to be any reasonable need for plating the cut ends; but if the whole bar is tin covered end-to-end, and you have now exposed copper by cutting it, aesthetics or the possibility of galvanic corrosion might necessitate plating of the ends depending on the circumstances.

Q. Dear sir,

Thanks for the reply.
Sometimes it may not be possible to re-Tin busbar edges. I think there is no tin sprays are available in the market. Whether zinc coating is advisable for the edges?

Sriram R. [returning]

A. Hi again. Sorry, but zinc plating of the cut ends sounds to me like a terrible idea.

A. Dheerendra,
An undercharged battery can cause this. I would suggest a protective coating for the Cu.
Sriram,
The thing to do, in my humble opinion, is to cut the bus bars and then tin them. The bus bars should be completely coated.

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California

Q. Are there any methods available for tin plating over aluminium bars by spray plating method??

dhanus mohan
- Coimbatore,Tamilnadu,India

? Why would you need tin plating if there is the use of a suitable oxide-inhibiting compound between the joints to stop oxidation? Yes, the exposed copper will discolor; however, that won't limit its ability to conduct 600 A or greater.

keith Gosh
N/A - Boulder, Colorado USA

Q. If said Tinning will not increasing Ampere rating, some cases using Uniniven cables for higher current applications please clarify

HARSHA KUMAR
Powertech Industires - Ajman UAE

? Hi cousin Harsha. Google comes up empty for "Uniniven" -- perhaps it's a typo.
This thread now contains more than 80 entries; to further 'clarify' the claim that tinning improves the reliability of an electrical joint but does not necessarily increase its ampacity, we would need you to take a couple of paragraphs to carefully detail your situation so we can present a detailed defense of what has been claimed. Otherwise, I don't know how to 'clarify' something which I've already repeatedly tried to make clear, when I don't even understand your posting :-(
Thanks for your understanding.