-----

"Electro Polishing Process"

2005

I am interested in doing Electro polishing & Passivation process for Orthopedic Implants made of Stainless Steel AISI 316L Grade. What precautions needs to be taken? Any suggestions on this topic?
I have an approximate idea that SS piece is tied with Cathode. When the current is passed the metallic ions flow from cathode to anode in the Ortho phosphoric solution.

Girish Gangan
Uma Surgicals, Orthopedic Implants and Instrument manufacturer - Mumbai, India
^

2005

I'm going to make an orthopedic implant for myself; any suggestions? I make this joke only to emphasize that electropolishing is difficult; it's not just a matter of getting an internet response an plopping the implant into a vat full of acid and connecting it to a power source.

For example, there are ASTM specifications for electropolishing of implants, and there are many different electropolishing solutions. A lot of education is involved. Many of the "must have" plating books have a chapter on electropolishing, including the Metal Finishing Guidebook and ASM Metals Handbook Vol. 5. The Electroplating Engineering Handbook has the most depth on the subject. AESF (www.nasf.org) had, and may still have, an "Illustrated Lecture" on electropolishing. Good luck!

^

2005

Thanks buddy for our response. I am totally new to this field and wanted to know the sources for preliminary knowledge in this field. Amazon does not have the edition you have mentioned. Could you please tell me any other source?

Girish Gangan
- Mumbai, India
^

2005

Plating books are very expensive, even secondhand, because so few copies are published. So you may want to check a local university library or see if you can prevail on a local plating shop to let you view their copies.

Availability on Amazon varies, but the preferred book for this topic, The Electroplating Engineering Handbook is supposedly available (used) right now.

The Metal Finishing Guidebook is free with a subscription to Metal Finishing magazine but if you don't want to wait 'til January for that edition, used copies of the Guidebook are available.

But also visit www.nasf.org and inquire about that "Illustrated Lecture"; if available, it's right on target, well illustrated, rather inexpensive, and the first choice.

^