topic 35573p.2

Acceptance criteria after salt spray test

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. Is it possible to have agreement with our customer on the white rust, something like % of white rust observed over the total surface?

Also, I want to get some clarifications over the topic of Black spots.

I feel that either white rust or black spot acceptance depends on situation or product structure. Areas which are not cosmetically visible and not obstructing function can be allowed to have some % of white rust / black spots. In this case to we should have an agreement with our customer.

Pankaj Bansod
Automation - Hyderabad, India

A. Hi Pankaj. You are right that a buyer & seller are free to negotiate the performance requirements of the contract but there is an exception: some published specifications forbid you from 'diluting' them. The spec may contain wording that a purchase order can add restrictions or performance requirements but cannot reduce the requirements or selectively quote the spec. For example, if spec XXXX123 requires 96 hours of salt spray performance, the spec organization has declared in advance that a purchase order saying "plate per spec XXXX123 but only 48 hours salt spray resistance is required for 'B' surfaces" is employing the spec invalidly. In the event of a contract dispute you would have a mess on your hands.

Plus, a salt spray test is an accelerated test which is used to help determine if a process is under control; it usually does not mimic real-life performance, so to spend a lot of time defining allowable percentages of white rust on "A" surfaces vs. "B" surfaces, for example, may not be well applied effort because real-world corrosion patterns will likely be very different.

Can e-coating on cast iron withstand 480 hours of salt spray?

Q. Hi Everyone,

I also have similar problem with Sheldon, but the difference is in material; I use cast iron for the Salt Spray Test. And the requirement said it must reach 480 (FPO-5) with no rust at any surface. The part uses Electro Deposition Painting (EDP). Do you think is it still possible? Does anyone have the same problem?

Agung

Agung Budi Setiawan
- Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia

Q. I would like to know how to differentiate between white rust and salt residue of salt spray test. Can someone help?

KY Tay
- Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia

A. Hi Kay. I think it's as simple as the fact that NaCl is soluble and will wash off.

Q. SIR,
REQUEST YOU TO PROVIDE SOME NUMERICAL VALUE (REQUIREMENT FOR SALT SPRAY TEST).

WE ARE DOING SALT SPRAY TEST AS PER ASTM B117 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] FOR REINFORCING BARS WITH EPOXY COATING FOR 96 hr AS WELL AS 204 hr.

CORROSION RATE INDEX (cri) CALCULATED.

AT PRESENT WE ARE GIVING ONLY MASS LOSS (g/m2) AGAINST UNCOATED SAMPLES -- BOTH WILL BE SUBJECTED TO TEST.

RADHAKRISHNA K rao
CIVILAID TECHNOCLINIC PVT. LTD - BANGALORE, KARNATAKA, INDIA

Q. Hello all.
The salt spray test results report shows at 96 hours 5 g and the customer said I wish 10 g on e-coat process; the raw material is cast iron. The question is, for this process is it possible to meet with zero corrosion during 96 hrs ASTM B117 test.

Santiago lorenzo
Industrial Finishing - Brownsville Texas

A. Hi Santiago. I'm not understanding your usage of grams of corrosion, and the customer wanting more corrosion than you are getting -- something seems to be worded funny. But, yes, you can certainly get 96 hours of salt spray performance from proper pretreatment and e-coating.

Q. Hello to all.
Please clarify the black spot observed in SS test what is this effect during testing time?

vijay_singh
VIJAY SINGH
lohia corp limited kanpur - kanpur uttar pradesh India

A. Hi Vijay. Subramanian says it does not represent failure. I agreed except that if the customer specs says it's failure, then it's failure. Brian Terry tells us that some specs like AMS2404 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] define the appearance of any corrosion as failure, and that the spots might be corrosion and can be tested. Then too, one person's black spots may not look the same or be the same as another person's black spots.

Please explain your situation so it's less abstract. Thanks.

Q. Hi sir,
Define salt spray test and how many hours test for door handle (Mild steel) and what is the conditions. Which standard we need to refer for corrosion resistance test on ferrous materials?

balaji krishnsamy
- trichy, tamilnadu, india

? Hi cousin balaji. Please start with who you are, what you do, what type of plating or coating you are talking about, and what kind of door handle you are referring to (automotive interior, automotive exterior, home interior, home exterior lockset, etc.)

Sir,
I want to know that in SS test what is method to check black corrosion on zinc plating. According to our product standard, conditions is 0.05% corrosion area of total test surface of base metal would be the passing criteria, so please help me can I consider black corrosion or spot as base metal corrosion or, if not, then what is the process to know base metal corrosion?

Shurveer singh
- Udaipur,raj. india

Q. Hello. I just want to ask you some help. Can you offer me any documents which I can get help while interpreting ss test results?
Thank you so much.

yunus sezgin
- istanbul TURKEY

A. Hi Yunus. The most important document is the specification which the parts were processed according to. Very often this will tell you how to interpret the results. Interpreting the results for salt spray testing of aluminum conversion coating, various electroplated coatings, powder coating, etc., may be quite different. Please tell us what specification number the parts you are referring to were processed to. Thanks.

Q. Hi TED;
thanks for answering.
We're processing fe-zn, fe-ni, fe-cr, cuzn-ni, zn-cr, zn-ni.

So I need something about these processes.

Thank you so much.
Regards.

yunus sezgin [returning]
- istanbul TURKEY

A. Hi again, Yunus. You probably should find/choose a spec for each of those 6 processes (although I'm not sure what platings you are describing: Zn on Fe, Ni on Fe, Cr on Fe, Ni on Brass, Cr on Zn, Ni on Zn?).

In the USA we have MIL specs, ASTM specs, SAE-AMS specs and probably a few others. There are German DIN specs, Japanese JS specs, British BS specs, and ISO international specs. As previously mentioned, some of these specs will include interpretive guidelines for what constitutes failure in salt spray testing.

Q. Dear all,

We are a manufacturer of metal parts and we have received complaints from customer about failure of salt spray test. They are claiming of 72 hrs SST and therefore we have forwarded the complaints to supplier. They have replied that the storage time is one of the factors that affect the test result since the product customer used has been stored for 6 months and the test is best performed within the period of 24 hrs after electroplating. We are not sure if there is any direct relationship for the result and time period.

May I ask if there is any time limit or requirements for salt spray test after the metal is freshly electroplated? Can supplier of electroplating guarantee period of time that the products can pass the test? I have heard of half year from the supplier but I'm not sure. Currently the supplier is claiming that the test should be best performed within 24 hours after electroplating. Thanks for all your support.

Vincent Lee
Wang Tak Metal Products - Hong Kong

A. Hi Vincent. I'd be happy to hear to the contrary from any readers, but I side with your supplier. If the parts endured shipment by sea, or storage in a corrosive, damp, or smoggy industrial environment for 6 months they could very well be exhibiting corrosion signs which would fail an examination after salt spray even before they go into the salt spray chamber :-)

< Prev. page          Next page >

--