We've been striving for 23 years to build the
world's best website -- it's worth your time smiley

Electroless Platinum Plating

Plating iron powder with electroless palladium

1996

Q. Hi Ted,

I got your email address from the electrochemistry newsgroup. I am hoping that you may be able to send me some information. I tried to post this question on the newsgroup, but it didn't work. Then I saw you answered somewhat similar question on the newsgroup.

I am trying to find an experimental procedure for electroless coating of platinum on iron and/or iron oxide surfaces. My substrates are both in planar and powder form. If you know any procedure or any references regarding this, please let me know.

Sudath Amarasinghe
The University of Iowa

1996

A. Hi, Sudath. In Metal Finishing magazine, July '91, you can find an article titled "Electroless Platinum Deposition on Carbon Powder", which may be of some help.

Letter 4497 "Plating/coating platinum onto titanium" discusses electroless platinum plating as well.

I don't know for sure, but would expect that Technic, as one of major players in precious metals plating processes, would offer the process commercially.

Good luck with your project.

Chemistry of Electroless Platinum Plating

(2005) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I need to find a method of electroless plating platinum on a specific component? Is there a method of electroless plating of platinum. What is the chemistry of the coating (other than Pt)? What is the deposition rate?

Mike Minor
engineer - Dallas, Texas

Electroless Plating
Mallory & Hajdu

(2005)

A. Electroless platinum plating is described in Chapter 16 of Mallory and Haydu's book Electroless Plating (American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society, Orlando, 1990).

Ron Duncan

Ron Duncan
- LaVergne, Tennessee
It is our sad duty to note Ron's passing on Dec. 15, 2006. A brief obituary opens Episode 13 of our Podcast.