topic 35197 p2

Questions about zinc electroplating specification Fe/Zn8

< Prev. page       Next page >

Q. What is HB in 'Ep-Fe/Zn[2]/HB CM2'?

Yan Biau Chow

A. Hi.

HB indicates a post treatment of Baking for Hydrogen removal.

SK Cheah
- Penang/Malaysia

Q. What about CM(iii)3?

TF NG
- Seremban, NS, Malaysia

Q. What does EP-Fe/Zn-Ni8/CM2C mean? Could you help me to understand this specification?

Armando Diaz
- Metepec, Mexico

A. I'm really not understanding this thread, cousins. Doesn't the spec say what its own abbreviations mean? Are people actually plating without the spec on hand, and issuing certs based on internet rumors?

Bone joor :-)

July 16, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. We have some steel fasteners in our older drawings with a description of "GRADE 5, 2C". Our internal part number corresponds to, for example, McMaster 90126A031. I assume that the 2C designation is meant to suggest the zinc-plated finish but I haven't been able to find a standard that it would be associated with. The only references I've found are ASTM A193 (appears to refer to a heat treat for SST) and BS1706, where it doesn't mean much without additional context. Our customer is now asking for clarification so I need to come up with an answer. Can anyone give me a hint? Thanks!

Mark Treadwell
engineer - Baltimore, Maryland

What is SEZn-CM finishing?

May 14, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi, I'd like to find out what is SEZn-CM finishing. This is stated in my customer drawing under surface treatment so I'm checking what finishing is this.

Best regards

Ivan Teo

A. Hi Ivan,
If this is on your customer drawing your best bet is to ask your customer what it means.

Never ceases to amaze me, how were you ever able to quote for the job if you didn't understand what it entailed?

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Q. Hi Team,

Anybody able to advise me whether DIN 50691 Fe/Zn8b is equal to ASTM B633 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] ?

Sugumaran s/o Doraisamy
- penang malaysia

A. Hi Sugumaran. I am not able to find a "DIN 50691" spec. and suspect a typo, and that that you actually meant DIN 50961 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. That spec and ASTM B633 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] are different specs, so not "equal" -- but it is possible for your plating to comply with both of them.

What is Ep-Fe/Zn8/C? Same as ISO 2081?

Q. I'm finding global specification callout comply with PFZn8-C. I'm not sure where this callout comes from. I guess it's the same with Fe/Zn8/CM2. Am I correct? Then can I use ISO callout ISO 2081 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] Fe/Zn8/C?

One more thing: Is there any expression which regulates trivalent passive chromate?
Sorry for many ugly questions ...

Seungsik Won
- Daejeon, Rep of Korea

Q. Hi team, please help!
What does "Cr 3" mean in "Ep-Fe/Zn 5/CM2 Cr 3"?
Thanks so much!

MAI TUAN ANH
- ha noi, viet nam

A. Hello Mai. Odds are 99% that it means "trivalent chromate", and I guess there's no point in us repeating our same warning for a 9th time just on this one page :-)

What color is EP-Fe/Zn5 C3 plating?

January 25, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I received a Salt Spray Corrosion Test Tracking. The treatment for the product is Ep-Fe/Zn5 C3 which I know coating thickness is over 5 µm. What coating requirement color should it be? It says "BLUE" but I thought it was green finish. Do they make a mistake or is that correct?
Thanks in advance!

Denisse De Leon
Supplier Quality Assurance - Reynosa, Mexico.

UNI ISO 2081

Q. I just received some parts with this specification UNI ISO 2081, Fe/Zn 12c 2C. I have copy of specification but I don't understand the 2 in front of the C. I understand that the C is or iridescent coating but I'm wondering if the 2 has something to do with trivalent/hexavalent type. Also the 12 I am assuming is for 12 micrometers, but what is the little c for?
Thanks in advanced for all the responses.

David Juarez
Electroplating Job Shop - Orange, California USA

Q. Hi, I work for a valve manufacturing company. One of our customers gave us a plating specification saying:
Surface protection "FeZn 8 Cr III Y SS:8451 S2"

Now, although I have been reading these threads and have found out that FeZn8 probably means Zinc plating with 8 microns thickness, I am not able to find Cr III anywhere. It probably means Chrome passivation but what does III mean.

Also, does SS 7451^8451 S2 mean salt spray test for moderate conditions (S2)?

Please help.

Mihir Bajekal
Triton Valves Ltd. - Mysore India

A. Hi Mihir. "Cr III" almost surely means "trivalent chromium", i.e., do not use RoHS-incompatible hexavalent chromium. 8451 might relate to Mercedes/Daimler-Benz spec DBL-8451 or it may not. My guess is that "S2" is yet a second reference to the need for trivalent chromium, and that "SS" has nothing to do with salt spray.

But guessing about what the customer wants instead of discussing it with them is foolish, especially when it's just long strings of letters & numbers that is so subject to errors that you mistyped it yourself :-)   Good luck!

Q. Can you please advise what Honda Spec MIC Black is?

S Zuroweste
- St Louis, Missouri USA

Q. A question related to: electroplated coating Fe // ZNFe8 // Fn //T2

Fn means black - but what exactly does BLACK mean?

is the BLACK specified somehow?

Marek Kasprzak
- Czestochowa, Poland

A. Hi Marek!

That specification is explained in DIN 50962 [link by ed. to spec, in German, from TechStreet].

Fe // ZNFe8 // Fn // T2
(Iron substrate // Zinc-Iron Layer, 8 microns // Black passivation // Sealed)

Black is specified as it is: Black passivation. There are many vendors of proprietary products to get this black color and achieve the required salt spray performance.

I suggest you to get this standard and read if this coating has any other requirements, or if your client has any expectation about this finish that is not in this spec.

Best of luck!

Daniel Montanes
TEL - N FERRARIS - Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Q. Have a print that calls for FE/ZN Cz plating Can you tell me what the Cz stands for?

Dennis Carter
Tube bending - Bay Port, Michigan USA

Q. We have inquiry for zinc plating electrodeposited coating ISO 2081 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] -Fe/Zn8/T4-trivalent clear passivate and torque and tension top coat TnT 15 to meet NSS hours of 120 hours white/384 Red corrosion. What does T4 mean? Thank you.

Dallas Sitinjak
- Batam, Indonesia

A. Hi Dallas,

It means "Application of grease, oil or other lubricants". There is a list from T1 to T5 of supplementary coatings over zinc in ISO 2081.

Best of luck!

Daniel Montanes

----
Ed. note:
Please see letter 26629 for another long list of similar sounding Q&A's about plating specs.