Need sweet spirits of nitre

2004

Q. Can you please tell me where I can purchase the product Sweet Spirits of Nitre?

MONIQUE J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- WASHINGTON, DC

2004

A. A pale yellow liquid, of a sweetish taste and a pleasant ethereal odor. It is obtained by the distillation of alcohol with nitric and sulphuric acids, and consists essentially of ethyl nitrite with a little acetic aldehyde. It is used as a diaphoretic, diuretic, antispasmodic, etc. Called also sweet spirit of niter

For those of us who don't know (I had to grab a reference myself).

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

2005

A. Sweet spirit of nitre, so one sees, taken off market!
What would cost 25 cents to cure simple blisters, now cost us $25.00 Now, we have all types of molecular compound derivatives, sporting and supporting these overpriced compounds. Guess what, filled with steroids!

Vince C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Real Estate - Garden Grove, California

2005

A. I used spirit of niter 45 years ago. I was having trouble trying to urinate. I kept trying to go 6 or 8 times and I was hurting My father was living with us and he asked me what was going on I told him I could not pee. He asked me if we had any spirit of niter? So I looked in the medicine chest and found some. He told me to take 3/4 drops of it with some sugar in warm water. Well in a half of an hour I was having my back getting hot at the belt line I tried to pee several times and about 45 minutes after I took the niter I passes a kidney stone.WHEW {{If it works take it off of the market. and sell something for more money.}}[my wording]

Harold S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Waterloo, New York

Folk Remedies That Work

Oddball Ointments, Powerful Potions, ...

The Old Herb Doctor

2006

A. I have taken Sweet spirits of niter since I was a child, usually only when I have tried every other means to cure my problem with urination, and now I have been having problems and have been to my Dr and have been on medications that have not given me any relief, I know that this works for me and I usually only took it when I absolutely needed it. I would be ever so grateful if anyone could tell me where I can get this as most pharmacies don't even know what I am referring to, Can you please help me to locate this so that I can avoid being in misery with my urinary problems. I am 65 years old and I have used this since I was a child and never had any problems it has saved me much misery and many trips to the Doctor and as I said I have been on antibiotics and nothing has helped I just want to be able to give this old fashioned remedy a try to see if I will feel better. Please Reply back to me,Thank You

Rosanna V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rockledge, Florida

opinion! Big pharma owns both political parties; the FDA has banned this product (and virtually all traditional remedies) through the Catch-22 of ruling century-old products to be "new drugs" (frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=1997_register&docid=97-6411.pdf).

"310.502 Certain drugs accorded new drug status through rulemaking procedures. (a) The drugs listed in this paragraph (a) have been determined by rulemaking procedures to be new drugs within the meaning of section 201(p) of the act. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an approved new drug application under section 505 of the act and part 314 of this chapter is required for marketing the following drugs:
...
(12) Sweet spirits of nitre drug products."

The revolving-door FDA serving the mega-corps has decided that rather than testing cheap traditional medicines like this one, bluestone, silver ointments and a host of others, they would outlaw them as hazardous unless someone else runs the tests, knowing that traditional medicines can't be patented, so no one will ever be able to afford to run the expensive tests they have dictated, leaving all traditional cures outlawed and big pharma able to charge us outlandish prices or force us into illness.

None of these traditional remedies are thus obtainable in the USA and will remain illegal; but apparently you can get sweet spirits of nitre in Canada. Please note that I am NOT implying that Spirits of Nitre is safe; I have no qualifications to do so. Further, instructions for its use that are based on people's old recollections are often faulty. They may have used it and still be alive to talk about it, but they may not have used it the way they think they recall :-)

P.S. - This thread has been updated as I've learned more. Some postings below, asking where to get it, preceded my statement that it is not legally available in the USA and should not be interpreted as people asking where they can buy an illegal substance.

2006

I've been trying to find a source for spirit of nitre and all I've found is people who've never heard of it. I finally information on it.

It's also great for breaking up the congestion, colds, and fever: 1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water.

Fred S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Dallas, Texas

2006

I was given spirits of nitre when I was a child in the early nineteen forties for fevers. We were talking about it today and I decided to find out what was in it. It always took the fever away.

Beverly M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Altamonte Springs, Florida

2007

I myself was given sweet spirits of niter as a child when we were sick and had a fever. I have also asked about it and got that (What?) look.

James B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Rawson, Ohio

2007

I have some "Spirits of SweetNitre" and find that it is extremely effective in the treatment of colic in horses. I have very little left and would like to purchase more. I am wondering if anyone knows where, and or how, I could do this?

Jean Vandenha
hobbyist - Enderby, BC, Canada

2007

In case you have not found this stuff, in South Africa one of the old Dutch remedies they sell is called Witdulsies and it contains Ethyl Nitrate and Ethanol. Maybe it can help you. I don't know if you can get it from where you are though.

Amanda Zvisineyi
- Johannesburg, South Africa

2007

I to would like to find Sweet spirits of Niter... This was given to me as a child and it cured me of kidney infection.

I also took it 30 years ago for a a stiff neck . It worked

David Snyder
- Waynesboro, Virginia

2007

My mother mixed water sugar and sweet spirit of nitre for fevers when I was a child..I inquired several years ago at a drug store and the pharmacist had never heard of it..I notice that many people are posting from New Jersey...Is it a Jersey thing?

Carrie Harrison
- Bradley Beach, New Jersey

2007

I am a Jersey native and had never heard of it until this thread, Carrie. Sorry. The "many people posting from New Jersey" is probably just because the website and its operators are in NJ.

2007

I did a google search on Sweet Spirit of Nitre as my Amish mother in law gave me some today to apply to a bee sting. She send home a partial bottle full with me and said it's good for drawing out the fever in my arm (huge bee sting, painful, red, swollen.) I inquired about this product and she said an Amish lady makes it and sells it. The instructions say: adult dose: up to 1/2 t in water. Do not exceed 3 doses per day or 15 doses per week. Not for long term use. Store in a cool dark place.
Just thought I'd mention that the Amish still use it. I asked to get a full bottle next time she orders, she did mention that it is expensive. I would never give it to a child, but my mother in law said they always used to use it. (All 10 of her children are alive and healthy!)

So, the product is out there :-) I do not have the source at this time. I enjoyed your posts about it.
~*Karen in Holmes Co.Ohio

Karen Miller
- Millersburg, Ohio

2007

In the 1940s when I was a youngster, I remember my Grandfather giving me a liquid with sweet nitre in it when I was very sick. Those were the days before antibiotics and one could die from a fever associated with an infection associated with a sore throat or ear infection. My Grandfather was a Feldsher - field surgeon in German. It is the equivalent of a nurse practitioner today. He treated many soldiers of the Tsar's military with his various herbal medicines during the Boxer rebellion in 1900. That was the only type of medicine at the time. At the time it had to be administered very carefully or it could cause death. Modern pharmaceuticals take care of our ills better and more safely today.

Joe Schiesl
- Manassas, Virginia

2007

I was born in 1927. I experienced "bad dreams" . From early age until age 3 or 4.. I would hear distant sounds get louder and louder Crescendo and decrescendo. At the same time I would have visual retinal bizarre response like spinning spirals and blinking lights.I would awaken crying and my mother would give me some "spirits on Nitre" to calm me ..The bad dreams diminished with time. A colleague jokingly said I was probably relieving the birth canal contractions.. Could be. Salvatore Dali, the great artist said he remembered being born....

Larry Dalglish
- Cresco, Pennsylvania

2007

THIS IS EXCELLENT MEDICINE FOR FEVER BLISTERS, IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT EVER GOT RID OF THEM IN JUST A MATTER OF A FEW DAYS. WITHOUT IT IT NOW TAKES SOMETHING LIKE 2 WEEKS OR BETTER TO GET RID OF, IT'S A SHAME THAT IT WAS TAKEN OFF OF THE MARKET, A GREAT LOSS TO US WHO SUFFER FROM FEVER BLISTERS.

Charles Johnson
- Kernersville, North Carolina

2007

My father used to take sweet nitre to urinate back around 1945. He ended up having an emergency operation to remove a bunch of kidney stones around 1965. Like a half of quart of stones. He did recover but it took a while.

Alex Stempien
- Boonville, New York

2007

Hi,I was wondering if someone can tell me were I would find sweet spirit of nitre. My husband has been diagnosed with kidney failure (they aren't filtering properly) and we know that a mixture of this with spirit of Juniper and friars balsam (sorry if not spelt correctly) help as I was given them in a capsule when young and cured my kidney's and urine infection.Also fixed my Aunt's severe kidney problems. Please could you let me know were I can purchase some. I live in Newcastle Australia. Regards Mel

Melissa Fenton
nil - NSW Australia

2007

This discussion of Sweet Spirit of Nitre is fascinating and brings me back to my childhood in the 1950s. My mother, too, would give it to me with water when I had a fever and hallucinations, which were very much as described above. Sounds would become slow and distorted and visuals would seem to travel at me and then away. I can still remember the smell and taste of the Sweet Spirit of Nitre and it brings memories of my dear mother taking care of me. I've never found anyone to talk to about this and thank you all for sharing this with me!

Inez Steele
- Haverhill, Massachusetts

I was looking for some Sweet spirits of Niter for a cure for Jaundice and done some research. It seems that it is available from the Amish people in America. See details:

censored

Tom Brady
- Ireland

Ed. note: Tom had received this lead from a 3rd party, but unfortunately we did not have their permission to make it public. Both the party being quoted and the store supposedly stocking it contacted us to ask that their names be removed. Sorry.

For at least seven years I've been searching for Spirits of Nitre for bladder infections that seem to plague elderly bedridden friends. I grew up in the '30s and clearly remember Mother administering a few drops in water for her children's occasional bouts of bladder problems. It worked! One of my old friends died recently wishing for relief she was certain Nitre would provide, but all my efforts to find some for her failed. It's too late tonight to contact the Amish lady that makes it. I'm so grateful for this exciting clue, and will order some first thing in the morning.

Gloria Hall
- San Antonio, Texas

Spirits of Niter

In my family as a child we knew we were sick when mom was getting out the spirits of niter. It was usually used by my mom when we were running a high fever. She would get a teaspoon of sugar, put one or two drops of niter in it then we would take the spoon full followed by a full glass of water. The taste was awful...but it worked. This was in the late 60's and early to mid 70's and we were still taking it. All of us are healthy and no one had a bad reaction to it. Wish I could find it now!

Monica Crowell
- Downingtown, Pennsylvania

55 years ago this was purchased at a drug store and ten drops placed in water to drink and help with excess acid in ones system. I have called every pharmacy around my area to no avail.

Lucille Fekete
- Plantation, Florida

When my son was born in 1965 and ran a fever, I was told by my mother-in-law to place a drop on a little sugar and then follow up with as much water as he would drink. This always worked for me and I was wondering if this could have harmed him in any way. Now my Great Granddaughter is running a fever and my Granddaughter has asked me for advice.
After reading some of the posts, I am not sure if this is a good idea. Am I wrong?

Judy Clem
- Lake Elsinore, California

Oh my God, I remember Nitre too...And I also learned very early on, don't cry wolf, or fake illness to get out of school, cause you were gonna get " Dosed "...It never killed us, but for about the first 15 minutes afterwards, we wish we would have went ahead and died cause it was so bad...

mark mckeehen
- willard, Ohio

for 3 months now I have had urine problems. the problems are, frequent urination, lower back pain, abdominal pain, my doctor has had me try 3 bladder control pills, and have tried antibiotics twice, .....i need to add that I had cervical cancer and was treated with chemotherapy and internal and external radiation, I am now at year 2 since end of treatment and am cancer free so far, I have also been checked for bladder and colon cancer and both negative, when I had a cystoscopy, he found bleeding vessels and cauterized them, one did break open and I started to bleed again, possibly because I had passed many stones in various sizes(which may have caused the bleeding, my doctor does not communicate very well, and yes I am looking into a second opinion as well as talking to my radiologist, as the doctors are blaming the problems on the radiation....

today , I still have frequent urination, severe back pains and abdominal pains, I do have the spirit of nitre and am on day 2 of taking it, should I only take it to day 5 in hopes that it will improve my 3 issues I have had for 3 months..
please let me know your opinion
as my doctor wants to do a surgery to implant a stimulus to signal my bladder to tell my brain not to pee...i guess, doesn't sound like something I want to do all to soon, especially when I feel it is still other issues.
thank you, sharon

sharon D.
- Las Vegas, Nevada

This is to thank Mr. Tom Brady.
I am 77 years old. When in my forties, I had a urinary problem, my mother suggested three drops in a glass of water. The problem was cleared the next day and I don't know what became of the rest of the bottle but when my youngest son had problems, I couldn't find any anywhere. (It had been taken off the market in the 80's). He wound up going to the doctor; high fee plus medicine and a repeat visit.
As has been stated: "If it works;remove it."
It just came to mind as I was sitting here. Hope no one needs any. Thanks again.
M. Richards

Mary Richards
- Mobile, Alabama

(you are on the 1st page)       Next page >