Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

Need to do Zinc Plating on Stainless Steel

A discussion started in 2004 and continuing through 2020 so far.
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to our busy Current Topics page

2004

Q. I am confused by my part supplier that Stainless Steel parts can't be coated with Blue Zinc. So he is giving my parts coated with Nickel. I need this part to be electrically conductive in addition to having a bright, nice finish. Please advise if SUS 304 can be coated with blue zinc, which would be contrary to what I am told. What Stainless Steel grade would you recommend to get the part conductive and look great at the same time? Thanks

Koe KG
Parts - Singapore

2004

A. Although I can't think of an example of an item that is blue zinc plated on stainless steel, I know of no reason to think it is impossible or even particularly challenging on a technical basis. But plating onto stainless steel usually must start with a nickel strike to activate the surface. The work would then need to go very quickly from this nickel strike tank to a zinc plating tank, and it may be logistically impractical on a production basis for many plating shops to quickly go from the nickel strike tank to the zinc plating tank if they are not set up for it.

Nickel is considered a decorative finish, more so than blue zinc, and is better for conductivity as well. The ideal decorative and conductive finish is gold plating, but that may be too expensive for the part in question, about which we'd like to hear more.

2004

Q. Thanks for your reply. The part is a spring type component used to conduct current from a battery. I have the part on hand now and the finish is quite dull with the nickel plating on. You mentioned that nickel is a good choice for finishing. Do you think that I might have been fleeced? As in the part was never plated? I'll like to achieve a chrome like finish on these parts.

Koe KG [returning]

2004

A. I can't comment on whether you may have been fleeced based on your assessment that the finish is "quite dull"--maybe the plater was trying to satisfy you with a dull nickel finish. But I can say that it doesn't need to be dull, and usually isn't in situations like this. The nickel plating can be quite bright.

But you might want to consider specifying "electroless nickel plating" because that is very widely used for applications like this. Look at the charging contacts of your cordless phones, radios, DC adaptors, etc. ... these are usually electroless nickel plated. Good luck.

Q. We have been seeing sporadic "failures" of clear zinc plating. Specifically, on PEM inserts (PEM P# F-032-1). The PEMs are 300 series stainless steel and inserted into a Cold Rolled Steel (CRS) panel. The zinc on the CRS portion is very consistent but the zinc on the PEM exhibits a "bubbled" look and appears to have voids where no zinc has affixed to the PEM. Is this normal for stainless steel to basically reject adhesion by zinc?

JP Smith
Buyer - Portland, OR, USA

A. Plating on 300 SS requires proper cleaning and acid activation followed by a woods nickel strike and then zinc plated. (requires appropriate rinses)

A. Hi JP. I'm not seeing why you should install stainless PEMs then have to nickel strike them in preparation for zinc plating when it seems you could just use steel PEMs and zinc plate the whole thing.

February 7, 2011 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Usually we don't go for plating on Stainless steel parts, but it is not like that it cannot be done, is it? Any concept?

Somya Kumar
- India

A. Hi Somya. You need to start with a nickel strike process, then it can be done. Good luck.

Q. Parts with combination of mild steel and stainless steel have to be plated with non-cyanide alkaline zinc and baked at 200 ° C for 4 hours. How to achieve perfect adhesion after completion of this process? Now there are blister issues. Undercoating with Wood's Nickel is given. Please suggest a suitable process sequence.

RAVI KUMAR
ARTEK - CHENNAI TAMILANDU INDIA

A. Hi Ravi,

To achieve good adhesion, steel parts shall be electro-activated by sodium hydrogensulphate/sodium bifluoride mixture follow by Wood's Nickel strike prior plating.

David

David Shiu
David Shiu

A. Dear Ravi,

Please try the following process sequence.

1) Degreasing
2) Electrocleaning
3) Rinse
4) HCl Acid Activation
5) Woods Nickel strike
6) Rinse

Hope it will resolve your problem.

Note:
Please ensure where you are getting peel off problem. Whether in Zinc Layer or Nickel Layer.

Thanking You,

Karthikeyan Ponnusamy
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Galvanic Corrosion. Can I galvanize 304 Stainless to Prevent?

Q. Hello all,

We have a product which requires a good EMC earth. Our prototypes have use Be-Cu spring touching our Aluminium/Zinc coated steel chassis. Our product is a Dishwasher and we discovered quickly in our humid (and occasionally wet) environment we had set up a galvanic cell which resulted in rapid corrosion.

Given the requirement of good electrical contact, acting as a spring and the high humidity, we felt that changing the material from Be-Cu to Zinc coated steel would be the best option, but our spring supplier is unable to source a suitable material.

They are proposing 304SS, but I still have concerns that we will have a different galvanic potential and therefore corrosion issues. They are saying we could put a zinc coating on the 304SS, but I'm not sure if this would be a good option or not.

It seems you 'can' coat stainless, but I'm not sure if it would be the right thing to do! We need to finalise our material decision pretty quickly as we are already behind schedule on tooling.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Danny

Danny Blair
- Dunedin New Zealand

A. Hi Danny. If the primary problem is galvanic corrosion, you can simply zinc plate the Be-Cu spring. A second approach would be to zinc plate a music wire spring, or you could try the uncoated stainless spring the supplier is suggesting; the galvanic corrosion should be greatly reduced compared to copper. But yes, you can zinc plate stainless steel after Wood's nickel striking it if that is the resolution.

What happens to stainless spring if attached to part while it's zinc plated?

Q. I have a steel weldment that is being zinc plated. In this weldment there is a spring. Looking to have the spring be a 304SS material. My question is what will happen to the spring when it gets plated? Not looking for the spring to be plated just trying to figure out if there will be any effects of having the spring in there during plating.

Eric Stoddart
- Brighton Michigan

----
Ed. note: For additional situations, options, and opinions please see also:
• Thread 48652, "Plating zinc onto stainless steel?"
• Thread 32579, "Black zinc chromate plated on stainless steel"