Analysis of Sulphuric Acid

A discussion started in 2003 and continuing through 2020
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to the Current Topics page

2003

Q. I want to do analysis of spent sulphuric acid, which is outcome of dyes industry. Strength of acid varies between 40-60% and impurities may be organic or inorganic. I am interested to know inorganic impurities. Major contributors may be sodium sulfate and sodium chloride.

Jayesh Ruparelia
Education - Mumbai, Maharashtra, INDIA

2003

A. Try heating 10 mL the spent sample in 150mL beaker with a matching watch glass on a hotplate until it reaches dense white fumes. Then, remove it from the hotplate, remove watch glass and allow it to cool down until there fumes are gone. Replace the watch glass and SLOWLY AND VERY CAREFULLY drip 30% hydrogen peroxide down the side of the beaker until the sample clears. Quantitatively transfer the mixture to a 1 liter volumetric flask and dilute to the mark with water. Analyze the sample for chloride using ion chromatography or titration with silver nitrate. It would be not be practical to determine sulfate in the sample. Sodium can be ran on the digest via AA or ICP.

Jarett Burgett
Aircraft - Wichita, Kansas, USA

Q. I want to do analysis of spent sulphuric acid, which is outcome of chemical industry. Strength of acid varies between 20-60% and impurities may be organic or inorganic. I am interested to know organic impurities.

K A Chaudhary
Education - Gandhidham, Gujarat, INDIA

? Dear Mr. Chaudhary,

Do you mind telling us what kind of organic impurities are you looking for? There are some methods for organic compounds, but every method has some chemical family it measures.

If you can specify, we may be able to help you. Best regards,

Daniel Montanes
- Canuelas, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. METHOD OF ORGANIC MATTER IN DEMINERALIZED WATER

K A CHAUDHARY [returning]
- GANDHIDHAM, GUJARAT, INDIA

A. Hi cousin Chaudary. You cut & pasted your first question, and I don't know if this is an answer Daniel's request for clarification or if you just blew him off and are now asking another question. Such minimal effort on your own behalf -- an all-caps, punctuation-free, 7-word fragment -- while asking all the readers struggle to try to understand you, doesn't seem to justify a stranger putting in much effort for you :-)

Thanks for your understanding!

Thank you for your answer to my earlier query.

Q. My new question is regarding demineralised water plant. We want to analyse organic matter in outlet water sample from Activated Carbon Filter (ACF).

K A CHAUDHARY [returning]
- GANDHIDHAM, GUJARAT

A. There's two things you could do with your DI water; send it out to a lab and have them run Total Organic Carbon (TOC) or get yourself a Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) set up. The latter may not be sensitive enough. But, if it suits you, Hach Co. sells a good one.

sidebar April 4, 2013

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. I want to know the standard method (conventional) of determination of NOx (NO + NO2) in low pressure BOILER Stack. We are using FURNACE OIL as a fuel having 3.0 % Sulphur & 10 % Carbon Residue.

K A CHAUDHARY [returning]
Fertiliser - Gandhidham, Gujarat - India

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. Please mention the flame temperature while the fuel is used as a furnace oil and combustion with air.

K A Chaudhary [returning]
- Gandhidham, Gujarat, India

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. WHAT WILL BE EFFECT IF CALCIUM CARBONATE IS INCREASED FROM 2.0% TO 5.0% IN POLY PROPYLENE BAGS.

K A CHAUDHARY [returning]
IFFCO - GANDHIDHAM, GUJARAT, INDIA

Ed. note:
No
abstract questions
Please!!

Q. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EFFECT OF CALCIUM CARBONATE ON POLYPROPYLENE FABRIC AND ALSO SUGGEST THE RATIO OF CALCIUM CARBONATE & POLYPROPYLENE FABRIC WHICH GIVES HIGHER BREAKING STRENGTH.

K A CHAUDHARY [returning]
IFFCO - GANDHIDHAM, GUJARAT, INDIA

----
Ed. note: Sorry readers, I'm just not feeling the Aloha here -- but you're certainly welcome to respond to K A's questions if you wish :-)

March 26, 2020 -- apologies; slipped thru the cracks til July 3

Q. I want to do analysis of spent sulphuric acid, which is outcome of chemical industry. Strength of acid varies between 25-30% and impurities may be organic or inorganic. I am interested to know organic impurities. Can I analyse by COD method? It is possible or not?

HAWALDAR SALIM
EDUCATION - MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA

A. Hello Hawaldar
The best way to analyze for organics is by TOC (total organic carbon analysis). The TOC-L series - catalytic combustion system along with a high salt kit.
To my knowledge the COD method is mainly used for determining organic matter in water using an oxidizer such as potassium dichromate. I have my doubts that you could get accurate readings in a 25% Sulfuric using the COD method, and the dangers of using a strong oxidizer for determination. Hope this helps.

- Winston Salem, North Carolina USA