It's Tuesday 01/18/22 & your Q or A is Welcome.
Chime right in! (a "no registration" site)

-----

"What is a Hull Cell Test, Why is it done, Where to Get a Hull Cell"

Current question:

Q. Hello everyone!

i was wondering if is there a way to measure or determine the Throwing Power Index of my electroplating solution with a Hull Cell or what's the specification to develop my own Haring Blum Cell??

Thanks in advance

Jorge Lim
-Sinaloa México
^

22320-2ext

A. Hi Jorge. To the best of my knowledge the Haring Blum Cell has no special dimensions, just the ability of the anode on one side of the cathode to be 5X as far from the cathode as the anode on the other side. The article "Throwing Power Measurement: The Assaf Cell" gives some good history and formulas.

But yes, you can calculate throwing power from thickness measurements on a Hull Cell panel. EPI offers a youtube video on how to do it.

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

2004

Q. What's the simplest meaning of Hull Cell test? And also its purpose?

Thank you very much in advance for the information.

Juliana Marie Bustamante
electronics - Cavite, Philippines
^

2004

A. Hi Juliana. A Hull Cell is a miniature plating tank that is specially designed to assist the user in the analysis and troubleshooting of plating problems.

hull cell

The simplest variety is 267 ml in volume and a "right trapezoid" in shape from a bird's eye view. The anode plate and cathode test panel are placed along the non-parallel sides so that the current density on the test panel ranges all the way from lower than real parts would ever see to higher than real parts would ever see. Solution adjustments are tried out in the Hull Cell before being applied to the production tank.

This presentation from nmfrc.org is a good intro -->

^

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

2000

Q. Does anyone have the ISBN code for R.O. Hull's "little book"?

John Persaud
- Reading, UK
^

2002

Q. I am looking for a book and a booklet. I would appreciate any information that anyone has about either or both of these publications.

1. The book is called "The Hull Cell." I think it was written by a woman. It had a lot of tips and instructions for using the Hull Cell. It even had a Hull Cell ruler bound into the spine of the book on a piece of ribbon!

2. The second is a booklet published by a vendor. I don't remember the vendor, but the booklet was a very nice presentation about the history of the beginnings of electroplating. It has a glossy white cover and is called "From Faraday to Frog Legs." There are short paragraphs on Volta, Ampere, Sir Humphrey Davies and Michael Faraday. The booklet is illustrated with really cute line drawings. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sue Jones
- Canyon Country, California
^

Update: Oct. 2020

A. Hi Sue. I don't think either of these is readily available. Marilyn was the author of the illustrated slide lecture offered by AESF entitled "The Use of the Hull Cell", and it is possible that an AESF/NASF branch has a copy (I had a copy a long time ago). Google.books.com told me that the 2nd was published by Hanson-VanWinkle-Munning in 1997, which led to worldcat.org saying a copy was available at Wayne State University library in Detroit, which led to learning that they apparently they still have it, ref.:
elibrary.wayne.edu/record=b2152282~S47

^

2002

A. Marilyn K. Sanicky worked for McGean Rohco and did a series of articles on the Hull Cell. I think they were carried in Metal Finishing or that other publication. Perhaps they can sell you copies of the series. It was very good! She has retired from McGean (which may have since merged into something else).

Jon Quirt
- Fridley, Minnesota
^

The Hull Cell

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

2002

A. "The Hull Cell" must have been a very popular title. There is a book of this title by Walter Nohse, published by Robert Draper of Teddington UK in 1966, It was translated from the original text (presumably German) by staff of "Electroplating and Metal Finishing" .

I cannot vouch for the cover, as I haven't seen one with a fly cover intact.

----
Ed. note: See Sjamp Van Esch's reply below for the original German version.

^

2003

Q. Our company is one of the largest Electroplating Rectifier manufacturers and exporters in Turkey. I am searching for documents about Hull Cell, to give enough information to electroplaters, (especially Sedusky & Mohler's "The Hull Cell" article, R.O. Technical Bulletin No. 404), but cannot find any except McGean-Rohco Inc.'s article dated 08/1997. I also want to buy a detailed book about Hull Cell Test -- searched but did not find. Please help me about these two matters. Where can I get that article and the book from? Already now thanks for your aid.

Alper Onsavas
- Istanbul, Turkey
^

2003

A. Maybe this book is something for you: "Die Untersuchung galvanischer Bader in der Hull-Zelle", it's written by Walter Nohse, ISBN-Nr 3-87480-016-4. You can order via internet from the publisher "Leuze Verlag" www.leuze-verlag.de

Kind regards,

Sjamp van Esch
Sjamp van Esch
- Eindhoven, The Netherlands
^

2004

A. I am responding to Mr. Alper Onsavas of Istanbul, Turkey (2003) who was interested in articles about the Hull Cell. Mr. Alper, did you find the articles you needed? My grandfather, Richard O. Hull was the inventor of the Hull Cell and I would be most happy to provide you with needed research information about the Hull Cell, if you still are in need of same.

Kathleen A. Hull
- Westfield, New Jersey, U.S. A.
^

2004

Q. Kathleen A. Hull, is it possible to supply me with the inside dimensions (millimeters) of the 1000 ml Hull Cell? Sincerely Tommy

Tommy van Rensburg
- Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, RSA
^

----
Ed. note: The AESF Training Course book reveals that the test panel is 5" x 3-1/4" but doesn't give the actual dimension of the cells needed to accommodate them. Obviously the volume is 1000 mL

2004

Q. Kathleen Hull, mind if you can discuss to me how the hull cell scale (or ruler) is used and how can we interpret the result ... how do you determine which part of the brass panel is within the boundary of our plating specs? we are using 10 - 30 ASD for our plating line. Also, I can't seem to figure out how much current and how long should I plate the brass panel we have ... any recommended amount of current and time?

thanks in advance!

Michael Andrew Tongson
semiconductors - Laguna, Philippines
^

2007

Q. Kathleen A. Hull,
I am in need of Hull Cell information and would greatly appreciate it if you would provide me with information as to where I may obtain this information. I am new to electroforming and am eager to learn. Thank you.

Jack Honore III
- Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA
^

2004

Q. I'm a new employee and can't seem to find our manual for the Hull Cell. Can you please explain to me the procedure. How long should we plate the panel, how much current? If you can also give a website that has data on Hull Cell analysis, such as pictures of high metal contamination or low brighteners, etc. would really appreciate it. thanks!

Michae Andrew Tongson
semiconductor - Cabuyao. Laguna
^

2004

A. Hi Michae. I doubt that you'll find such a website because the Hull Cell is such a versatile tool and is used for so many different plating solutions, and in such different ways for them -- but a good on-line link is offered by Reza Esmaelli just below. And you could buy the "Hull Cell CD" from www.nasf.org. Tell us what metal you are plating please. Good luck.

^

2004

Q. I'd like to receive information on how to set up, use and interpret the results of a Hull Cell.

Daniel Doom
- Wichita, Kansas, USA
^

2005

A. For Hull cell test you can see the links below:

http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/volvi/hullcell.htm

http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/volvi/hullcell2.htm

Reza Esmaeili
- Tehran, Iran
^

----
Ed. note: Thanks Reza, those links are helpful! (still current Oct. 2020)

2005

Q. I am urgently looking for the inside dimensions of the 1000 ml Hull Cell. Can anyone help me with this please.

Tommy van Rensburg [returning]
Self - South Africa
^

A. THE STANDARD HULL CELL PANEL IS 75MM X 100 MM LONG BUT MANY OTHERS SIZES ALSO EXIST.
70 X 100, 70 X 200, 37 X 150 TO NAME A FEW

Paul Kelly
OSSIAN - Cork
^

A. In the book "Modern Electroplating" , author: Green,
you will find a good description of the principles of the two types of current distribution:

Primary and secondary. The primary is theoretical, based on the geometry of the cell with electrodes. The secondary is experimental, including the effects of the overvoltages at both electrodes. These overvoltages make the distribution more equal over the electrodes.
A third affect occurs when the current efficiencies depend on the current density.
These three effects together result in the effective product distribution over the surfaces.

Harry Zeilmaker
advisor surface treatments - Eindhoven, the Netherlands
^

----
Ed. note Oct. 2020: We can find no reference to a version of "Modern Electroplating" authored by "Green". This may be a typo or mindslip?

Need Hull Cells or Component Parts

1998

RFQ: I am looking for someone that can tell me where I can purchase a Hull cell.

If you know of a company that I can contact, let me know.

Frank

Frank Steinert
packaging
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

1998

A. There is a supplier in Taiwan called Giant Chemicals.

Ricks Lam
- Hong Kong
^

1998

RFQ: I have been searching for information on manufacturers of Hull Cells. So far no luck. Can you help me ... thanks

Stan B.
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

1998

A. I'd try Plating Test Cell Supply Co. (Cleveland), Mc Gean-Rohco (Cleveland), or Larry King (Jamaica, NY). There are many others, I'm sure.

^

1998

A. Kocour in Chicago is another source of Hull Cells and related supplies.

Ken Lemke
Ken Lemke
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
^

2000

A. I have an address for you here in the States: Kocour Company 4800 South St. Louis Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60632 U.S.A.
In Denmark: Galvano Teknik A/S ÿsterhÂbsvej 85D, DK-8700 Horsens.

Hans Henrik Larsen
- Denmark
^

2001

A. Frank,

Just for your information and anyone else who is interested I thought I would pass this on. It is correctly stated that you can get a Hull Cell from McGean-Rohco. I would like to point out to all that the Rohco in the name is the former R.O. HULL COMPANY the inventor of the Hull Cell, R.O. Hull.

Hope this info is helpful for others in the future.

Charlie Zipprich
- Winston-Salem, North Carolina
^

1997

A. Don't make big research . Every Plastic craftsman can do the job for you . Give him the exact sizes you need and he will do the job for you.

yehuda blau
Yehuda Blau
YB Plating Engineering and Quality - Haifa Israel
^

1997

thumbs up sign I don't know, Yehuda. It seems like there may be less research involved in coming up with the name of a manufacturer than in trying to find the exact sizes you need :-)

^

1997

A. I agree with Ted, it is not a do it yourself job. We tried to do it on our own once and tiny differences in measurements of the cell produced big differences in results.

sara michaeli
sara michaeli signature
Sara Michaeli
chemical process supplier - Tel-Aviv, Israel
^

1999

thumbs up sign Apparently a 10 ml variation in electrolyte can make a vast difference to results. I made a 267 ml cell and achieved good quality plating from this.

Don Stewart
- Scotland
^

(you are on the 1st page of the thread)       Next page >