Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

How to make potassium gold cyanide

1998

Q. I am conducting a feasibility study on the production of potassium gold cyanide. I need information about the ff:
a. how to produce potassium gold cyanide
b. uses of potassium gold cyanide
c. cost per gram

Thank you very much.

Concepcion S. Villaverde
Metals Industry R&D Center - Gen. Santos Ave. Bicutan, Taguig, Metro Manila

1998

A. I had the same question about this topic a few months ago. I haven't got a complete book or literature that explains producing PGC. However through some experiment with limited literature I produced PGC. The quality of PGC (percentage and purity) is still not known yet, but I have used for several months in my gold plating bath without a problem.

Next is how I make PGC:

1. Make aqua regia (75% HCl + 25% HNO3) from high grade chemical.

2. Introduce the Gold (24 kt) in bulk or small piece in warm aqua regia for fast solubility. (gold : aqua regia is about 1 : 5 weight).

3. Heat the solution, don't exceed 85 °C.

4. A long heating introduces excess HCl.

5. Heat and evaporate until you've got a concentrate like syrup that is Gold Chloride.

6. Gold chloride will become crystals when you cool the syrup.

7. Introduce a little water to dissolve the gold chloride.

8. Make ammonia solution of 30 ml Ammonia in 100 ml water concentration. (use high grade ammonia).

9. Pour the ammonia slowly to Gold Chloride until pH = 8. You will get the precipitate that call Gold Fulminate. Be careful with the Fulminate, It should not be allowed to dry because it is Highly Explosive! Danger!

10. Wash the Precipitate to remove excess ammonia. Wash several times until pH reaches near 7.

11. Make another concentrated Potassium Cyanide solution (KCN).

12. Pour the KCN into Fulminating Gold slowly with agitation until all the fulminate dissolves. You've got a solution called "Mother Liquor".

13. Heat the Mother Liquor -- in my experience not over 65 °C. Evaporate ammonia from mother liquor until no ammonia smell anymore.

14. Crystallize the PGC by continued evaporation. Vacuum will be very helpful. You don't need to evaporate all the mother liquor. When you've evaporated about 75% volume, stop the process. Collect the PGC and keep the mother liquor. Dry the PGC by vacuum. Mother liquor still can be used in the next production by mixed it with the next Fulminate.

15. Do all the processes in very good ventilation. Good luck.

Any ideas and corrections regarding my process will be welcome.

Anton Bijosono
- PT.CITRA SELARAS HARMONI - INDONESIA

1998

thumbs up signWow! The detail of the response to the PGC question was incredible. Thanks to you, Anton.

Now everyone knows why it pays to buy your gold salts ready made in precisely weighed quantities. I would not take the chance of making one mistake and ruining the batch, even with the price of gold as low as it is. I prefer to let the refiners at Technic, LeaRonal, and the rest of them worry about the QC. And the technical advice from those vendors on how to run the plating bath isn't half bad either.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies - Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona 

2003

!! When making PGC, the fulminate-mother liquor steps you should use ammonium OXALATE instead of ammonia. The gold-nitrogen bond(s) formed by using ammonia become a heat-, friction- and impact-sensitive explosive when dry, similar to the related mercury and silver compounds.

Steve Koelzer
- Sunnyvale, California USA

sidebar2 Text Selection 2004

Q. re: Anton Bijono potassium cyanide production.

The gold cyanide produced by your method does not work well with our plating formulation; could you provide us with your gold plating recipe for trial? Many thanks.

Claude Hudon
Plating shop - Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

1998

Q. Could anyone please tell me the type of Potassium Cyanide used in casting gold and plating, 151-50-8 and 554-07-4. Also what type of Nickel Sulfate is best used. What is the best source for these in the US?

Torry Mathews
- Ohio

A. Hi Torry. I'm not familiar with the digits you've provided for potassium cyanide (they just look like catalog numbers to me), but the short answer is that in the U.S. you can buy such supplies from the distributors of plating supplies, and that you can usually find them listed under Plating Supplies in your Yellow Pages, or in our Directory of Chemicals, the Metal Finishing Guidebook, or the Products Finishing Directory. Good luck.

1999

Q. I want to know more in detail about the potassium gold cyanide or gold cyanide. Please do reply to me and tell me what are the steps involved and what kind of stuff I will need to get this done. Thank you very much.

Mark [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
BLACK KNIGHTS - Malaysia

kissofdeath

!! Hi Mark. Anton provided an incredible depth of detail, and there has been additional helpful followup too. It is the kiss of death to a thread if someone blows off those previous efforts we should be so grateful for, and simply repeats the question :-(

Please put more time into it than Anton did, and try your very hardest to frame your questions in terms of what has already been said, what parts you understood, and what parts are still unclear to you, etc. Thanks!

Seeking process equipment to make Gold Potassium Cyanide

2002

RFQ: Seeking for process equipment to make Gold Potassium Cyanide.

Kao, Andrew
Hong Kong
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

RFQ: I want to know if there is any equipment available in market for extracting gold from ore using cyanide process.

Ali Marzouqi
- accra , Ghana
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

sidebar 2000

Q. I'm having a project and I have thought about how to make ammonia out of flowers.
Could you please tell me how to make it? That's all thanks ~! Melvin

Melvin John N. Sedano
Student - Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

----

2236
Ed. note: That certainly shines a different light on "take time to smell the flowers" :-)

2002

Q. Dear All,

I am a master student and my project is about potassium gold cyanide and I need to have more information if you advise some web site, book or any search about that I will appreciate.

Nuket Cakit
- Istanbul, TURKEY

Hi Nuket. This website has dozens of threads about potassium gold cyanide, and books about gold plating reference potassium gold cyanide hundreds of times =>
If you have a specific situation and a specific kind of information you want, I'm sure our readers can help -- but when you just want "more information", that's what books and search engines are for :-)

Luck and Regards,

2002

Q. I'm studying Potassium gold cyanide too. There are two ways: chemical and electronic. The chemical way uses potassium cyanide solution gold directly; I've read it in lots of books, but its rate is too slow. I don't know the reason. Do you know the way it should be done?

Moreover, my electronic way is already finished but the product has color. I don't know the reason. Who can tell me?

Thanks very much.

Zhouwei [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
IPM - China

2007

A. KAu(CN)2 can be made very efficiently and pure by the anodic dissolution of metallic gold in a KCN solution. A membrane separates the cathode to prevent cathodic plating of the dissolved gold.
If the process is run hot, very pure KAu(CN)2 precipitates on cooling. The mother liquor, after replenishing with KCN, is used for the next batch.

Walther Grot
- Rockland, Delaware, USA

2003

Q. Good night!

In first place I want to beg your pardon for the grammar mistakes, because I am writing with an electronic translator's help. I would like to know as I do to get information of the process of obtaining of the salt of gold (GPC). This process is little known in my country and consequently there is not any literature on the same.

Certain of your attention.

Marivaldo Xavier
Student - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil

2003 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I want to know the procedure for making gold potassium cyanide (gpc). What chemicals are used in preparation and in what quantity, temperature. Full information about gpc from start till end. Please tell me.

Siddharth
- Varanasi, UP & India

Q. What is best procedure for make PGC and what's the effect of PGC on human body

Mohand Saed
- Sudan

December 21, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Sir,
can you help me to prepare the gold bath using the g.p.c, I would like to know the formulation and different types / method available for different shades.

Thanking you,
Nagesh

NAGESH Puttu
- MYSORE, India

sidebar October 1, 2011

Q. So what would happen if you mix HCl with potassium ferrocyanite?

Paul Anthony
- Syracuse New York United States

!! Hi, Paul. Please try to put your question in context. Do you mean is it a good way to make Prussian Blue? Or will it explode? Will it be poisonous or tasty? Are you looking for the formula for the reaction or maybe the stoichiometric relationship?

Please get back to us with your situation.

Thanks & regards,

"Gold Plating Technology"
by Reid & Goldie

Q. From where we can get book "Gold Plating Technology", by Reid & Goldie?

ANIL [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- indore,india

June 12, 2012 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi all. Please tell me the procedure to make Gold Potassium Cyanide from gold and amount of chemicals used in each step of reaction. Please tell the secure way to handle the Gold Fulminate and potassium cyanide also.

Manoj Garg
- Ganganagar, Rajasthan, India

A. Hi Manoj.

We appended your inquiry to a thread that may partially answer it for you. But please remember that the internet is a giant one-room schoolhouse, where grade school children and post doc researchers may read the same page. Readers will frequently read discussions about things that they do not have the experience & training to safely do!

When it comes to the "secure way" to handle gold fulminates and potassium cyanide, the answer is that you absolutely must learn that in a hands-on haz-mat training course, you must never attempt to learn it via a public forum. Sorry! Good luck.

1       2