-----

Hard silver plating

2003

My question is this. I have started a new unit in Oman, but in small level; first of all I want to expand it, and secondly I want a expert for this work. Actually here we have backward type work machinery and other equipment but there is lot of work in Oman for metal finishing . My budget is low for this work but I want to compete in Oman. Give me some suggestions and tricks. Now I have only nickel, silver, gold, copper, brass solution. this is the main in metal finishing. I want information about galvanizing, anodizing, and and many more but later. Now I want the know-how to do long life silver plating on metal and what is the best procedure for hard silver. Which chemicals are used for hard silver.

THANX,

Ali Rafiq
- Muscat, Oman

2003

Silver plating chemical with Antimony as brightener is harder than normal silver plate.

Comstock

2003

dear ali

annealed silver hardness is 27 kp/mm

additive-free bath has hardness 80-90 kp/mm

bright deposit reach to 130 kp/mm.

for hard deposit look for patent JP55002745. FOR YOUR OTHER ASSISTANCE CONTACT US THROUGH FINISHING.COM.

hadi khosravi
- tehran iran

2003

Hi Ali, yes I agree with you , the plating plant especially a person who owns a jobshop is dirty (acid fumes, wet area) also the machinery are not updated, this type of electroplating environment is same around the whole globe. You need to use a metallic brightener for silver so that it gives you a good hardness and required brightness, then a very good antitarnish dip (chemiabsorption type) will help you a lot.

praveen kumar
Praveen Kumar
plating process supplier
Mumbai, India

sidebar December 29, 2010

I am writing a novel in which I have a character who wears a rattlesnake belt with the fangs covered in silver. These fangs function as the clasps, with two holes punched along the belt portion for the fangs to pierce.
(1) Can fangs be encased in silver?
(2) Would the silver be too soft to function as the clasps?
(The belt won't last a long time because snakeskin is rather fragile, but I need for the silver to last as long as the snakeskin.)

I can't keep the fangs as is because they are too short to act as a clasp. THANKS!

Martha Tucker
- San Antonio, Texas, USA

Hi, Martha
The tines on silver forks certainly resemble belt hasps and could function as such. So, is it plausible? Yes.

The best way for hard silver electroforming brightener and additives is selenium and potassium antimony tartrate.

Majed Janineh
- Beith-Lehem Palestain