Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

What are the five metals of panchalogam

A discussion started in but continuing through 2019

2003

Q. Dear Reader, sir I'd really like to know what is Panchalogam. Some people say it is mixture of five metals. Okay, what are the five metals? What is the proportion to be mixed. Please tell me also the history of panchalogam. Please answer my doubt. Thank you.

K. Manivannan
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

February 14, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. What are the five metals of panchalogam?

Sankar Murugan
interest about metal - Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu,Iindia

simultaneous 2003

A. Panchalogam is a bronze alloy of 5 metals used since ancient times in India for Hindu and other statuary items. I don't have the composition, but am sure that the following reference does. My guess: copper, tin, zinc, lead and? (maybe silver).

"Indexing of antique bronzes for future identification" by P. Chandra Sekharan, Tamil Nadu Forensic Science Laboratory, 30-A, Kamarajar Salai, Mylapore, Madras-600 004, India, in TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 6, Issue 8, September 1987, Pages IV-VI, © 1987 Elsevier Science B.V. "India, and in particular the state of Tamil Nadu, has an outstanding collection of antique idols made of..." A download is available for about $30 at www.sciencedirect.com

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California
contributor of the year

Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully
researched responses. He passed away May 14, 2015.
Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your hard work
which the finishing world continues to benefit from.

2003

A. The term is part of the Hindu religion. I found many references to it on the web, but every reference just says "an alloy of five metals". Couldn't find out whether it's a generic term that applies to any alloy that happens to be of 5 metals irrespective of what they are, or whether it refers to 5 specific metals. Any readers sufficiently clued up on Hinduism to help?

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

Hinduism Made Easy

2003

A. Panchalogam - Pancha - Five; logam - metal. This becomes a generic term when five metals are mixed together (but specifically Cu, Sn, Pb, Ag, Zn were mostly used in specific proportions).

Panchalogam Idols are widely found in Tamilnadu, a southern state of India. Historically, most of the idols in ancient temples were made of panchalogam. I am not sure why they used it and I don't know whether it possesses any specific properties, but statues and idols of god were made out of this alloy... and sometimes the utensils used during worship

Tamilnadu happened to be the place because of the concentration of temples over there due to some reason. Taminadu has been the place where you can find as many temples as possible, and ancient too. I have heard that the workability with panchalogam for making idols are good and most of the panchalogam idols are still found buried under earth. They surface when someone digs up for foundations (those idols which slip Government notice are smuggled all over the world, especially to western countries and have very high value in the black market). They are very ancient but still intact.

There are other things used for making idols of god, like they call it: Navabashanom meaning: nava - nine; bashanom - poison -- made out of nine poisons. But when mixed together they become a very good medicine, and no one knows the composition now. It is said that the sages (the sages were called "Siddhars") made this from poisonous herbs and no one can replicate the things now written in those books as it is very hard to interpret the language used and it is also written in such a tricky manner that it was very hard to decode. Many of the books (written on palm leaf) by the siddhars were stolen or missing and it's now hard to find these stuffs in Tamilnadu too. There are still some specialized workers on panchalogam, and it follows family tradition and is kept as a secret within the family. But for specific details complete research can be done on this subject, and there are research materials available in the universities of Tamilnadu about this subject.

Good luck on your search for panchalogam.

Karthik Thambidurai
electronic components - Norwood, Massachusetts

A. The five metals are: gold, silver, bronze, copper and iron. I would know because I am a Hindu priest.

P May
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A. The five metals are gold, silver, copper, lead, zinc also.

K. Uvaraj
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

A. Bronze is not a part of panchlogam. Bronze itself is an alloy of copper and tin. Only base metals are there in panchlogam. They are gold, silver, copper, iron and lead.

Sadasivan Pillai
Private - Mumbai, India

A. Only base metals are used. Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead or Zinc & Iron. My experience: Iron does not alloy with the above metals, so Rivet an iron piece to the Ornament. Thank You. Anbe Sivam.

Thatshana Murthi
Thatshana Jewellers - Ipoh. Perak. Malaysia

Q. Well, everyone knows that Panchalogam is an alloy of 5 metals.
But does it constitute Gold?
Some say yes, some say No.
Can anyone of you confirm if Panchalogam constitutes Gold or not?

Sangeetha G
Archaeologist - Chennai, TamilNadu, India

[identical question copied and pasted by]

Karigalan sellaiyah
- malaysia, petaling jaya, malaysia

A. No, of course not, cousins. Gold atoms have 79 protons. No other atoms do.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

A. Gold, Silver, Copper, Zinc and Iron are the normal constituent of "five metal" or panchauloga statues.

Kumaran Nagasundaram
- Chennai, India

Q. May I know how to test the Aimpon to find out it is real Aimpon or fake?

Vanitha Kumaravalen
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A. Hi Vanitha. To tell a real Aimpon from a fake one requires the use of an Aimpon tester. But it needs to be a real Aimpon tester not a fake. There are "Aimpon Tester" testers, but some of these are fakes :-)

Seriously though, can you clarify for me what constitutes a real vs. a fake Aimpon please? Is being made of the right five metals sufficient, or must it have been constructed during a given time period, or by specific people, or what? Thanks.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Q. Hi Mr. Ted Mooney,
Actually I am purchasing a material and they charged it expensive by mentioning it is aimpon. That's the reason I want to know how to test the aimpon naturally. Some said can detect by the weight but I am not very sure on that weight. Some said the temple priest might know very well as many statues in temple made from aimpon. And there are also ideas can test using magnet to know it is made of metal.

vanitha kumaravalen [returning]
- kuala lumpur malaysia

A. Unless I'm missing something, this is just a question of metallurgical analysis buried under a bunch of slang. X-ray fluorescence is one of the more common methods. It's not something you can just do at home though, it requires expensive equipment.

A lot of scams rely on throwing a bunch of fake jargon at the the potential victim so that he has no way to double check that the allegedly valuable item is in fact valuable.

ray kremer