Diamond electroplating

2003

Q. Dear sir,

I want to know the process of electroplating or electrodeposition of diamond on tools for stone cutting and dental tools. I do not have any experience on this subject.

Kindly help me out.

Nishant R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bangalore , India

2003

A. Hello Nishant.

Basically, the diamond particles are embedded into nickel plating as the plating is conducted. The diamonds are suspended in the nickel plating solution and, as the nickel deposits, the diamonds are occluded.

Sometimes the diamond particles that you buy are already nickel plated. You need an agitation system (a fluidized bed) to hold the particles in suspension, probably a surfactant to properly "wet" the diamonds, and perhaps sometimes a thixiotropic agent is added to the solution to help maintain the suspension.

But most of the information is carefully guarded trade secret rather than generic information. You can obtain a license from Surface Technology in Trenton, New Jersey or another licensor of technology for nickel-diamond composite plating and they will tell you everything you need to know to do it. Your question, in a specialty that is very closely protected, is unfortunately a bit difficult to publicly discuss in very much detail.

2003

Q. Dear sir,

I had earlier inquired about electrodeposition of diamond process. I received response from your side and thank you for it. Anyway you suggested me to contact Surface Technology for further information. I mailed them and they don't seem to be interested in my query as they are not responding. So please suggest me someone if available in India or any Asian country; it would be very helpful if yourself explain the process to me. The gesture would be very appreciated.

Thanking you regards,

Nishant R [returning]
- Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
outdated

2003

A. Sorry that my Surface Technology advice did not work out for you, Nishant :-(
But it is usually not a great idea to publicly discuss private contacts with a third party -- but since the readers now need to hear the other side . . .

You misspelled your e-mail address -- a common mistake, but it made an e-mail response from them impossible. Even if you hadn't mistyped your email address, you offered no contact info except a free e-mail at rediffmail.com, a very well-known spam site; so it could be that people find it impossible to send an e-mail response or receive mail from you even if your address wasn't misspelled. Two of my ISPs do not allow any responses to rediffmail; they filter it out. Some (if not all) free e-mail addresses are an impediment to conducting business; please consider getting a "real" email address.

Your letter to them didn't say anything about your interest in licensing their technology as I suggested, nor any specifics of your application or your need; it just said you knew nothing about this technology and wanted to know about it. I am 99+ percent confident that you will get a response if you fax them a letter that says "We manufacture xxxx number of xxxxx per month of xxxxxx, and we are interested in plating them with diamond particles. We understand that you have developed processes for this and we would like to know more about it and the terms under which we could license this technology".

There is not much else I personally know about the technology. Diamond particles are suspended in a slurry of electrolytic or electroless nickel so that when the nickel deposits on the substrate, the diamond particles are occuded into the matrix as a composite coating. But what wetting agents are used on the diamonds, what thickening agents (if any) are used, what sort of agitation system keeps the particles in suspension, and what adjustments (if any) to plating concentrations, temperatures, voltages, and amperages are required, and how the fluidized bed is constructed, are all closely held trade secrets. Good luck!

A. Nishant R,
Here's a little tip coming from a 21 year old then, been electroplating since I've been 14.

Knock down current "AMPs" before removing your plated item to reduce burning on the TIP's of your subject. If this is not done the carbon build up will cause the diamond and nickel bond to flake off after prolonged use.

Nishant R, that's one trade secret for ya.

David Tausch
- OHIO USA

----
Ed. note: Thanks David!

Q. Sir,
I need details of how to make electrodiamond coatings; which chemicals and how much percentage.
Sir, am interested in the work, so help me.

R .Thiyagarajan
diamond tools - Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

A. Hi Thiyagarajan. What is your starting point? Do you know whether you want to use electroplating vs. electroless plating (very different chemicals). Are you already experienced in nickel electroplating or electroless nickel plating, and have the equipment and the diamond particles? Your quickest path, although maybe not the only path, is to obtain a license for this technology. Thanks!

20662ext1

A. Here is a link to a study done in India for electroless plating of nickel and diamond. It provides ingredients, some methods and results.

John Pemberton
- S.L.C. Utah USA