The world's most popular metal finishing site, and striving to be the internet's friendliest corner

Rust preventation with Phosphoric Acid

2003

Q. Is there or can you make a rust preventative containing phosphoric acid that will protect steel tubing for an extended period of time. I have been told that the acid reacts with iron oxides to create a zinc (?) phosphate like coating. Is this true.

John M Kish
Vari-Wall - Columbiana, Ohio

2003

A. Hi John. Phosphoric acid is one important ingredient in iron phosphate, but it is not the only one, so straight phosphoric acid is a marginal substitute for a good iron phosphate process; and iron phosphate is not as good as zinc phosphate; and even zinc phosphate is not intended to remain unpainted ... so you are pretty far from protecting steel tubing for "an extended period of time" :-(

2003

A. Phosphoric acid-based solutions are commonly used on steel for cleaning and temporary protection from rust. These form a light iron phosphate coating of limited rust resistance; it is primarily a base for painting or other rust preventative. The solution treatments include

1) Acidic cleaning (phosphoric acid, organic solvents, acid-stable detergent & wetting agents), primarily as pretreatment & rust removal prior to painting: Mil-C-10578 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]. This specification covers five types of concentrated phosphoric acid corrosion removing and metal conditioning compound which, when diluted with water and applied to metal surfaces, will remove rust from ferrous metal surfaces and provide a slight etching action for ferrous and nonferrous metals to promote the adhesion of paint or corrosion preventives,

2) Resin-acid wash primers (phosphoric acid, polyvinylbutyral resin and zinc chromate pigment) per DOD-P-15328 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] and MIL-C-8514, and

3) Combination cleaning/phosphating of steel surfaces (including cases where some surfaces are Zn or Al) prior to painting. Federal spec. Fed TT-C-490 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] (several solutions) includes both iron and zinc phosphate coatings, which usually is painted but can be given an oil or wax coating.

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California
contributor of the year

Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully
researched responses. He passed away May 14, 2015.
Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your hard work
which the finishing world continues to benefit from.

2004

RFQ: We are interested to buy Phosphoric Acid. Please reply

Mahtab Uddin
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Q. What harm is there in letting the product completely dry before covering in oil?

David Boyden
- Milton Vermont USA

A. Hi David. I would not think there is any harm in letting phosphoric acid dry before covering in oil. Did someone say it was harmful? Is so, please tell about it and provide particulars about the situation you're inquiring about. But on the other hand, flash rusting of non-oiled surfaces can happen pretty quick too. Thanks!

Q. I am cleaning up the bolts and things on my old pickup. I want to protect the parts, would a phosphate or based solution work to control the corrosion. When I clean and paint the parts they still seem to rust.

Daniel Turner
- Monticello, New York, USA

A. Hi Daniel. Every little bit helps. Getting them really clean with a strong alkaline detergent, phosphating them with Ospho [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or other Rust Converter [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], two coats of paint. Good luck

Q. I am cleaning/restoring a metal lathe. I had removed all the rust but this winter, due to improper storage of acid nearby, it got a good surface rust again.

Anyway, I am using a hardware bought metal cleaner (phosphoric acid) which has always given me good results.

However, many of the lathe's parts will not be painted (obviously), I would like to know how to remove the white-ish iron phosphate on the surfaces. I know that a wire brush can do a lot, but this is time consuming and there are a lot of nooks and crannies ...

I want to bring the metal back to a clean shiny state before oiling it. Just oiling it does not do it. The metal keeps a bit of a "yellow" color.

Also, any suggestions on the best rust "oil" to keep the rust off would be appreciated. Remember those are sliding surfaces for the most part.

Thanks a lot. Great site!

Francis Brabant
Verger bio d'Oka - Oka, Québec, Canada

A. Try 20 gms paraffin wax dissolved in 1 lit petroleum. You can use WD 40 too. Hope it helps and good luck!

- Zagreb , Croatia