Electroforming of Silver

(2003)

Q. I want to fabricate a hollow tube of Ag by electroforming process. The thickness of the tube should be 35 micron , the length should be 10 mm and the outer dia should be 150 micron. How can I do this?

Azizur [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]

(2003)

A. I suggest you use a disposable mandrel because the wall thickness is so small there will be little inherent strength in the tube. If you use a permanent mandrel, you may find it difficult to remove the electroform from the mandrel. You can use aluminium and dissolve it out in alkali. I would use a cyanide bath to deposit the silver and rotate the mandrel.

(2003)

Q. Thanks Trevor Crichton.

Can you please tell me the composition of the bath. Does is require any surface treatment before the deposition?

If, how?

Azizur [returning]

Jeweler needs silver electroforming service

(2006)

RFQ: I am a jeweler looking for a company that can electroform in silver, preferably over wax models or something else that can be removed. Are there any companies in North America that do this?

Catherine Allen
Jewellery Student - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Health & security needs for silver electroforming?

(2007)

Q. Hi, I'm now wishing to set up my own tank to do silver-electroforming because it is the main process for my work (jewellery) and I wanted to know the equipment neccesary in terms of extraction and health and security regulations. Could you help me with those information or do you know who shoulod I ask about this? Thanks

Ornella Iannuzzi
student - UK

(2007)

A. Practically all silver plating is done from a cyanide solution which is highly toxic.
As well as the obvious hazards, there is a problem in disposing of waste.
There is also considerable cost in purchasing silver anodes and plating salts.
If you do not have experience in handling toxic chemicals and electroplating technology, electroforming is best left to properly equipped professional shops.
Why not discuss your project with a local plating company. If you produce the masters, they can do the plating.

Hampshire,
       England

Silver electroplating thickness max limit?

Q. Hello community,

My name is Gregory I am an artist and I am exploring all the different processes, that we as humans have developed.
I am interested in electroplating in its scientific and historical point of view.

Here especially, I want to explore the excesses or the limits of the process.
For example I want to leave a piece to be electroplated for as long as possible, a bit like a plant growing.
So I was wondering if you had experienced with does limits and if you have visual examples, stories and of course advices and even warnings for me?

Take care,
Gregory

Gregory Chapuisat
artist - GENEVA, Switzerland

A. Hi, Gregory. Silver can be plated at least thick enough to "self standing". For example, jewelry can be manufactured by starting with a wax form, metallizing it, silver plating it, and then melting the wax away. When the plating is thick enough to be self standing like this, and the plating becomes the object rather than a coating on an object, it is sometimes called "silver electroforming". If you search for that term I think you will find the examples you seek. Good luck.

Q. Hello Ted,

Thank you for including my question on your website.

As English is not my first language and as I am discovering electroplating, it was hard for me to search with words what I was looking for.
But after spending a few hours on in your letters, I found those two below:

letter 37080 & letter 46603

Nickel trees is what I was somehow guessing would happen and I am delighted to see a few pictures of it. It reminds me of Fulgurite in a certain way.

If I understand for platers this is not really the best friend (nickel tree), but let's imagine that my goal it to create the biggest possible nickel tree.

What would be the kind of problems that I would face as it grows bigger and bigger?
How big could I go as a hobbyist? How big could a professional plater go?
Would I be able to modify the way it grows along the process?
Would it grow differently depending of the metal used to plate?

My curiosity is endless, I can't wait to try electroforming!

Take care,
Gregory

Gregory Chapuisat
- Geneva, SWITZERLAND

A. Hi,

I recall seeing a copper electroform that had run amok and looked rather like a coconut. I don't think there is any actual limitation on size.

A. Gregory, You can electrodeposit as much silver as you like if you start doing electroforming. As Ted says, this creates a free standing article, but the only limitation is the length of time you want to spend making it. I have seen electroforms that range in thickness from a few tens of microns up to and inch or so. There are numerous textbooks on the subject of electroforming, so it is worth consulting them for further advice.

Electroforming with non-cyanide silver

November 27, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hello!
I have been copper electroforming jewelry for about 4 years now but get a lot of requests for silver because of sensitivities or just because of skin greening. I want to electroform with fine silver but don't want to use cyanide based solution. Does anyone know of a recipe for successfully getting a thick silver plate similar to when using copper? I know it can be done but haven't been able to find the correct recipe.
Thank you!

Lori Campbell
Designer - Etters, Pennsylvania USA

A. You can try next solution: 200 gms potassium ferrocyanide/20 gms potassium carbonate/40 gms silver chloride/1 lit water/SS anodes. Pyrophosphate based bath can be used too.
I think that there is at least one proprietary bath (SILVERON GT-101 Bright Silver). Hope it helps and good luck!

- Zagreb,Croatia

A. Potassium ferrocyanide based plating solutions are oldest cyanide free silver and gold plating processes (1843 !!)
Potassium ferrocyanide is nontoxic, and is not decomposed to cyanide in the body. Lethal dose for rats is 6400 mg/kg - it is harmless if compared with potassium cyanide (10 mg/kg for rats). It and the related sodium salt are widely used as anticaking agents for both road salt and table salt (FDA approved!) Hope it helps and good luck!.

- Zagreb,Croatia