Get personalized metal finishing help, no charge!

1977 Silver Penny

(-----) 2003

Q. I have a 1977 silver penny. It is slightly heavier than a normal penny and it also sticks to a magnet, which a normal penny does not. However, there are some traces of a copper color on the rim/edge of the coin, but that's it. If anybody has any info about it, or has any idea if it may or may not be worth anything, please let me know.

Amanda Matthews
- South Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
^

2003

Q. I found the same coin but it doesn't have copper on the edges!

Scott Lambevski
- Ontario, Canada
^

2003

A. People are plating and coating coins all the time. If you had found 1,000 silver colored pennies the odds would still be that every one of them is worthless. But take it to a coin shop and make their day.

^

Q. I just recently received a unmarked silver 1977 penny in some change from a restaurant. I didn't notice the color until I was home and took it out of my pocket. I have read your other questions and answers, so I guess my question would be is this penny a forgery?

John Burdin
industrialist - Beaver Dam, Kentucky
^

A. Hi, John. I don't think "forgery" is quite the right word for what tens of thousands of grammar school students are doing for their science project every semester. I think the odds are higher that a discarded lottery ticket you found in the trash is a winner than this coin being a winner. But to completely rule out the possibility of it being valuable requires an inspection by someone knowledgeable.

^

Ed. note: We've tried our best with this 'silver penny' question here and on letters 9504, 9941, and 35852. Please read those other letters as well. There is no point in posting additional similar questions, folks.