1977 Silver Penny

-----

Q. I have a 1977 silver penny. It is slightly heavier than a normal penny and it also sticks to a magnet, which a normal penny does not. However, there are some traces of a copper color on the rim/edge of the coin, but that's it. If anybody has any info about it, or has any idea if it may or may not be worth anything, please let me know.

Amanda Matthews
- South Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
2003

! I've had the same 1977 "silver" penny since the mid 2000's, and it is also affected by magnets. I still don't know of its composition or value, but I've been collecting other old & uncommon/rare coins ever since. Very little info exists online about this illusive dime look-a-like, but it's good to learn that I don't have the only one.

P. Floyd III
- Nichols, South Carolina

Closely related historical posts, oldest first ...

Q. I found the same coin but it doesn't have copper on the edges!

Scott Lambevski
- Ontario, Canada
2003

A. Hi Scott. Take it to a coin shop, but don't get your hopes up -- people are plating and coating coins all the time. If you had found 100 silver colored pennies the odds would be that every one of them of them is worthless :-(

Q. I just recently received an unmarked silver 1977 penny in some change from a restaurant. I didn't notice the color until I was home and took it out of my pocket. I have read your other questions and answers, so I guess my question would be is this penny a forgery?

John Burdin
industrialist - Beaver Dam, Kentucky

A. Hi, John. I don't think "forgery" is the right word for what tens of thousands of grammar school students do for their science projects every semester :-) But I do think the odds are about the same that a discarded lottery ticket you found in the trash is a winner as that this coin is a winner. Still, ruling out the possibility requires an inspection by someone knowledgeable. There are coin shops in most good-size towns & cities.

Good luck, and regards,

Ed. note: Regarding this 'silver penny' question, it is also on threads 9504, 9941, and 35852. Please scan those other threads as well.