Electro-polishing Process

2002

I am looking for information on how to electro-polish 400 series stainless steel. I make knives as a hobby and would like further info on chemicals and amounts of current needed. I have attempted a couple of acids under current but I have not been able to get good result. Thank You, Gary Hamilton

Gary Hamilton
- Brenham, Texas USA

2006

I am a student of V.J.T.I.
I need information about electropolishing ss420. It's required for my M-Tech final year project.
Kindly reply the same at the earliest.

Mahesh S Tetambe
V.J.T.I.,MUMBAI - MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA

2006

From your university library or a local library, try to get a copy of the "Electroplating Engineering Handbook", Mahesh. It has a chapter of electropolishing of stainless steel which will tell you what you need to know. If that book is for any reason available, other treatments of the subject (although not quite as good) can be found in the ASM Metals Handbook Vol. 5 or the Metal Finishing Guidebook. Good luck.