The process of color anodizing

1998

Color Anodizing and plating of metals,

1. could anyone tell me where I might find literature to educate my self on the process of above.
  2. what equipment is needed to do a D-I-Y non commercial hobby setup.
Jack F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]

www.finishing.com note: please read in the hobbyist section of this page, go through all the archived letters at the bottom of this page, and visit the home page for sections on books, and societies.

Taking a part time job in the plating industry would be the best way to start. Try a small (say, 10 to 60 gallon capacity tanks) prototype line, either barrel or rack, for the most variety. Don't try any impromptu plating, (especially not in the gold tank) unless you get permission :-}

tom & pooky toms signature

1998

I just purchased a set of anodized aluminum pots and pans. I am somewhat familiar with what anodizing does for you as far as hardening and chemical resistance, but what is the process of anodizing. Also, could you do it to a mountain bike frame, and what would the cost be for something like that? Paint chips and scratches too easily for the pounding that my bike takes.

Michael R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Buffalo, New York

1998

What I'm looking for is information on how anodizing works and what its characteristics are, (i.e. can it chip, scratch, etc.) Also what kind of prices might someone pay. My goal in this information is to find out whether or not it would be affordable and even possible to anodize a car body rather than painting it. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Wes K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Sacramento , California

Anodizing is for aluminum and certain other metals, but not for steel, Wes.

Same applies to you, Michael: if the bike frame is steel, it can't be done. If it's aluminum, it is probably possible but may not be attractive, depending on the alloy.

1998

I am having trouble finding a reliable resist to print on aluminum prior to anodizing. The resist is to prevent anodizing in a particular area of the aluminum but the products I have found tend to have poor adhesion and allow the anodize to bleed under it. I am wondering if anyone has any literature or product lists about what's available on the market.

Don M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Washington

1999

I am interested in exploring commercially available methods for color metallizing or color plating hardened steel components. The finishes are required to be decorative but not necessarily functional. Of particular importance is whether or not various color schemes can be employed to identify slightly different die sizes.

Richard V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Tool Company - Elyria, Ohio

1999

Richard:

It should be possible to zinc plate and chromate these parts, then dye the chromate. This has been done on such items as 'metric blue' screws, and green grounding screws.

2000

I just recently became interested in aluminum anodizing. I've been searching around for good sites with a wealth on information for the "beginner" In this process. Basically looking for any, and all information from step one.

Maybe someone could direct me to the best site [for] some helpful starter info, such as:

What do I need to start, the price range, etc...

What can I use for dyes... like I said all information would be GREATLY appreciated, and very needed.

Thank you for your time,

Chad McAllister

Chad McAllister
- Orange, Massachusetts USA

2000

Mr. McAllister, most everything you want is somewhere here at finishing.com :-)
but no website is directed and organized as well as a good book on the subject. The internet is right for some things but poor for tutorial learning because someone has to invest years or decades to prepare proper training materials, and with the expectation of the internet that everything is free, it won't happen. See our "must have" book list, then consider getting to the library or buying a book on line.

Robert Probert's new "Aluminum - How To" may be a book that provides what you want.

2000

My next "greenhorn" question.

What is the best way to remove a pre-existing anodized finish, only to have it be anodized again.

Chad McAllister
- Orange, Massachusetts USA

2000

The best is a mix of chromic and phosphoric acid. A common way, but with more danger to the substrate is concentrated caustic soda. Please go to our search engine and type the phrase "stripping anodizing" and you will find some highly relevant responses including letters 1685, 3397, 4133, and 4884. Good luck.