-----

Anodizing stripping

1999

Hello

I was wondering if you could help me with an anodizing question.

I have 8 chairs, produced in the 40's -50's made from aluminum square tubing, Goodform or Emsco the Manufacturer, the remaining anodizing (much has worn off) has turned yellow. I have trying removing it with 0000 steel wool [affil. link] and you can imagine the work involved.

I was going to take the chairs in and have them stripped at an Anodizer, however, there are a few steel nuts on the chair that I am afraid will be damaged in the "Dip tank" stripping and anodizing process. Can you recommend an "off the self stripping agents". Thanks

Derek Davis
- Troy, Michigan

Hi, Derek. Anodizing can be removed with oven cleaner. This is nasty stuff even when used as intended; when used for purposes like this for which it wasn't intended, it can be even nastier. So goggles [←affil. link] (not safety glasses), rubber gloves [←affil. link], plastic/rubber apron [affil link], and respirator should be used, outside, with plenty of ventilation.

The oven cleaner will also attack the raw aluminum, so leave it on only long enough to remove the discoloration that you are after. Good luck.