Un-Tie Dye?

Hi! I tie-dyed with Rit Dye [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and was wondering if there is a way to remove the dye....I know of Rit dye remover [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] but it isn't sold in my part of the country. Bleach lightened the dye but didn't remove it. Any suggestions?

Katryn McCully
- Boise, Idaho, USA

Bleach it again with less dilution? My experience, which is limited, is that these are organic dyes which bleach will destroy.

You can remove dyes using Thiourea dioxide. This is available from vendors on-line. If you do a search, you should come up with places that specialize in supplying dye-stuffs to the home crafter. Carbona, the spot removal people make a dye remover. Probably the same as Rit. It can be found in grocery stores or at places like K-mart. I would not use bleach if I could avoid it. If you are removing dye from cotton fabric, the bleach will weaken the fibers a lot. It will totally dissolve silk.

Ronna Erickson
- Amherst, Massachusetts