topic 11303, page 2

Remove stains from Granite countertop, page 2

1     2

(For stains from acid, please see letter 6901)

Q. I have "Silver Cloud" granite counter tops that were installed in 2000. We usually reseal them about every 6-12 months, but I have put it off because I have several oil and butter stains that have been there for a long time. I've tried to remove them in the past with poultice, repeating the process several times with out luck. Is it possible to remove or even lighten these stains or am I done for?

Kerstin Gomez
- Boston, Massachusetts

Granite Countertops 101 (Kindle edition & for iphone, ipad, etc.)

Marble & Granite Countertop Secrets (Kindle edition & for iphone, ipad, etc.)

A. Try corn starch as a very safe and low impact way to remove an oil stain. I set a plate on my new granite countertop last week, unbeknownst to me it had some olive oil on the bottom ring of the plate. The plate only sat there for 30 minutes max, but that was enough. Several hours later I noticed a very obvious ring in the granite from the olive oil penetration of the surface.

I ordered a product at a local tile store that is supposed to remove oil stains which was to come in 48 hours later. In the interim I thought I would try a safer approach since there is always the risk that anything with an aggressive solvent might actually discolor the granite and make things go from bad to worse. I put corn starch on the stain based on a response I had read to this same question.

Put the cornstarch on and let it sit for 18 or 24 hours. A couple of times within that period I wiped the cornstarch with some pressure across the stain in order to encourage the oil to be absorbed by the cs. At the end I then vacuumed up the cornstarch and repeated the process for another 24 hours with more cs. 90+ percent of the stain is gone. Given the pattern and multicolor nature of my granite it is now only visible to me since I know exactly where it is. I highly recommend giving this a try before you put harsh chemicals or cleaners on the granite since the risk is zero with this method. If you discolor your granite with a more aggressive method there will be no turning back if the granite is discolored.

Ron Ryan
- San Jose, California

thumbs up signI never post on these things - but had such success I needed to pass on the information. My kudos to Ron Ryan for his suggestion of using Cornstarch. Like many others, I had new countertops installed last week - they are Salt and Pepper (light white/grey with a little black). Well it was Hanukkah this weekend and I made enough latkes to feed an army. Unfortunately, I didn't clean up around the stove until the last guest left.....only to find a nice 5"x7" discoloration from the oil next to the area where I was frying. I applied a poultice of flour, dawn soap and water and left it on overnight under plastic wrap. It only made the smallest difference. This morning I re-read for more suggestions and since I was really nervous about causing further damage - figured I'd try the cornstarch or some other powder (for some reason, it just seemed logical to me that these substances would work). Well....I'm happy to say that after only an hour or two under plastic wrap - the cornstarch has made a marked difference. It's not completely gone - but it is infinitely better. I'm leaving it there until tomorrow morning; saying a little prayer that it disappears completely by then.

Michele L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Suffolk, New York

Q. I have a rainbow stain around my faucet and soap dispenser. I have an undermount sink and I sealed my countertop a year ago. Is the stain trapped in the sealer or can I get it out? I also have water drop stains in other areas of my granite. Do you know how to remove them?

Rebecca Elkin
- Evans, Georgia 

thumbs up signThanks for such a informative website, I had no idea when purchasing stone that it stains so easily. Moved into our new kitchen on Wednesday, first oil stain by Friday. But after reading some entries on this site, tried a modified version and had success.
I thickly layered dry baking powder on top of the stain, and then covered with plastic wrap . Then I kept a hot towel over the cling wrap for several hours. There is only the faintest mark , which I would only be able to see .

Thanks again now my husband doesn't want to KILL ME !

Julie Refalo
- Australia

Q. I think I've gotten everyone beat! I have a gold/cream colored granite and it appears that I have strings of spaghetti forming throughout many parts of the granite. That is what it looks like - darker strands, then lighter. The granite has been sealed twice, once when it was installed and once by us. We've had it for about 18 months - I am afraid to seal it again as I do not want to seal these streaks in it forever. Any advice?

Kerri Nexon
- Succasunna, New Jersey

Stonetech Sealer

A. Granite countertops should be sealed on a regular basis. My place told me every 6 months, but I do it once a year or so. I cook with olive oil and let it drip onto the counters pretty much daily. And I don't always clean up at night! I've had my countertops for 10 years.

I didn't seal my new countertop in the bathroom, and am now looking for a oil fix. I was surprised no one mentioned that granite needs to be resealed regularly. I will now put my bathroom on the same schedule as my kitchen...

Lili Nona
- Stamford, Connecticut

A. I covered the stain with Tidy Multiple Cats Clumping Litter and covered the kitty litter (to seal it in) with Glad Press'n Seal wrap for a couple days. It worked great!

Kathy Pritchard
- Rosemount, Minnesota

A. My Problem stain:
Okay, I have a black granite vanity. I placed a brushed nickel soap dish on it. Well, it stained.

How I removed the stain:
I found this solution on the web. But can't remember where.

Anyway ... Use moulding plaster, about a quarter cup, and then mix in some bleach. But only enough to make a thick paste. Put the paste about 1/4 inch thick on the stain. Wait about 30 minutes, then wipe it away. Wash thoroughly, and that should do it.

Mike O'Rourke
- Newport News, Virginia

A. I too got an oil stain on my brand new colonial gold granite countertop. Tried various of the remedies found on this site to no avail...bought the stone-tech stuff [StoneTech Professional Oil Stain Remover [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]] and voila! stain gone. I did leave it on 72 hours...don't know if that made a difference or not. Hope this help someone else...

dian barker
- Alton Illinois

A. Oil and other stains can be removed from stone using a poultice.

For light olive oil stains, first try ammonia mixed into a paste with powdered chalk or corn or rice flour. Cover the stain with the paste, overlapping by about an inch, then cover with cling wrap and seal down with tape. This keeps the poultice moist, allowing the ammonia time to penetrate the stone.

Leave overnight, remove cover and allow poultice to dry, then brush off.

If that doesn't work or for heavier stains, repeat using acetate. For small stains, leave just one hour. For large ones (over 12 inches diameter) leave overnight. I have used this method several times and it works exactly as I had hoped - no trace of oil remained.

Dave Watson
- Sydney, NSW Australia

Q. Thanks for all the advice, but my first instinct (seeing as the oil stains are still a nice color:) was to soak my whole countertop with mineral oil (the kind you use on cutting boards)and just stain the whole thing; treat it like a cutting board and oil it a few times a year! does anyone know of a reason why NOT to do this?

Maiggen Dutka
- New Westminster, BC, Canada

Q. I have a bathroom vanity granite top bleached in one spot where a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone?) leaked. Its a dark browny grey top so very obvious. I urgently need to fix it or disguise it as am moving out. I thought of rubbing shoe nugget into it since the top is porous, but haven't been brave enough yet. Any other ideas? This is a great page of hints. ta.

Sally Ruth
- Canberra, ACT, Australia

A. Hi, Sally. I don't have granite countertops, so no experience, but that sounds like a worse idea than Maiggan's, and I didn't care for that one at all :-)

Acetone removes some types of granite sealers. I think you need to soak up any remaining acetone with one of the methods mentioned on this page, and then reseal the granite. Good luck.

A. So did the lady who suggested treating the whole surface with a coat of oil try it? I think this is a brilliant solution (of course I've thought of it also) - as in "if you can't fight'em - join'em". The colour change this would create is pretty much similar to what happens to the look of raw wood after finishing with an OIL treatment (heaven forbid) or varathane/clear stain which is used every day with wood products) and no one complains about that. We reno. houses and have lived with about 5 different colours of granite (polished & sealed) over the last 7 years and have never had a problem (I cook a lot) with oil until the one I have now (light gray/white/black speckled local looking granite). All of the granite has come from the same supplier. It turns out that this particular granite was not sealed properly according to the owner of the company so he is replacing it for us.

When he comes to do it I'm going to ask him to bring a sample piece so I can try an experiment on one half of it - covering it in oil and the other half with a good heavy coat of varathane. I'm hoping the varathane with fill the porous areas. It will also deepen the colour just like it does to wood but maybe it will survive "oil testing" afterwards also.

Carol Rainsford
- Duncan, British Columbia, Canada

Stonetech Stain Remover
16 ounces

A. I wanted to thank the people on this forum for the suggestions, and reinforce to new readers that this DuPont product, "StoneTech Professional Oil Stain Remover", REALLY works =>

I left a plate that apparently had olive oil on the bottom on my brand new granite counter tops. It sat for about 48 hours, leaving a dark ring that no amount of cleaning could get rid of. I tried cornstarch first for about a week and it barely made any difference. This was very stressful. Applying the DuPont product takes a lot of faith because at first the situation looks much worse; the solvent seeps into the rock and causes a lot more discoloration, and the paste looks like the world's worst glue spill. But a few minutes ago I cleaned up the hard, powdery paste that was left behind and the stain is 100% gone, making me feel a whole lot better. I promise you I don't work for DuPont, this is just a good product worthy of a recommendation!

Thaddeus Ladd, Ph.D.
- Woodland Hills, California

Q. I had a stain that I wasn't sure was oil, but I had tried leaving dry baking soda and baby powder to soak up the stain. Over time, it was getting slightly lighter, but I wanted it to be completely out, so I purchased the Stone Tech Oil Stain Remover, and tried it last Thursday. When we wiped off the flaky paste this past Monday, the stain had lightened, but to our horror there was ring around the outside of the circle where the paste was. It wasn't in the middle, it was on the edge of the circle. Has anyone who has used this product encountered this problem? It boggles my mind because everyone seems to have had no problems with the product. Then I looked at the packaging, and realized that this might be an older packaging, and possibly I was sold an expired product (there's a sticker on the bottom of the can that says 012105). Does anyone know if this stuff expires? Or does it normally look like this, and we have to let it dry for more than 72 hours? Or could it be that moisture is being stuck underneath the sealer that was surrounding the circle of paste and we need to expand the circle so that it eats away at the rest of the sealer?

Please help!

Tia D
- San Mateo, California

Q. Tia D,

We're having the same problem. Have a darker Kashmir Gold granite countertop. Contractor left WD40 can for a few minutes on the counter. We got an ugly dark stain after 1 week. DuPont Oil Stain Remover took that stain out; you don't even know it was there.

But we have another problem now! We have a ring around the area where the poultice was applied. We waited 1 week since removing the dried up poultice, but the ring is still there. It's fairly faint, but still there.

We even applied the Dupont mix over the ring area. Now we have a bigger ring around the area we applied the poultice to the second time.

Any ideas?

ED K
- Berkeley, California

A. My light colored granite counter top was stained with an olive oil mixture which set for 3 or 4 days before discovery. I was confronted with a dark circular stain which was very noticeable. After searching a trying different cleaning products I read about using a paste mixture of acetone and baking soda, spreading on the stain, and covering with plastic wrap and tape. I followed the directions and mixed a paste about the consistency of toothpaste and left it on the stain for about 3 hours until the powder was dry. The powder was wiped away and the area washed with water. At first the area was dark colored but after an hour it lightened and the stain was completely gone. WORKS GREAT.

John Tyler
- Clinton Township, Michigan, USA

A. I had a Bacon pan leave a nasty stain on my six month old countertops. Corn Starch with detergent, as suggested above, worked miracles. My large dark portion was back to new within 24 hours. My stain was the size of a medium cookie sheet so I mixed 3/4 box of cornstarch with a cup and half palmolive then spread on the large stain generously. Wiped off after 24 hours, cleaned with Windex.

Lynn Wagner
- East Northport New York USA

A. My brother and I own a granite counter top fab shop in Canada and we go and fix oil base stains on counter tops that have not been sealed properly. This fix works for all types of oil stains, and oil stains only, please don't try this on any other type of stain i.e. red wine, rust or coffee. It won't work and may set the stain for ever. If you scroll to the thread on this page posted on August 8 2008 from Shelly N from york, north Yorkshire U.K. you will find the remedy that we use all the time, but this only works on oil based stains. Follow her instructions very carefully and you will have success.Don't be scared, this works, I have done it a lot and it takes about ten minutes. It has never failed to work for me. Pay attention to the gently playing the flame over the stain, it's fast and painless and will allow you to sleep at night the next time you get an oil based stain on your granite counter top.
I don't even have to wish you good luck, that is how confident I am with this quick and effective fix.

There was a post earlier on that suggested that oiling the entire surface was a brilliant Idea..... wrong, I received a call from a client that had a butter stain on his light colored granite so he rubbed his entire counter with it and abracadabra his stain was gone and it looked fabulous. Three weeks later in the heat of summer his kitchen started to smell like rancid butter and it took me days to get his granite back to normal.
If you are getting new granite installed insist that it gets sealed at least 3 times, We do it twice in the shop and once after we complete the install. And on more porous stone we will even wax the entire surface. If you take a sample home to match to the rest of your decor, get the shop to seal it and then take it home and put a little oil on it and see what happens. Again don't panic and don't be scared.

Kevin Chesney
- Salmon Arm British Columbia Canada

A. Recently, I found a stain on the light-colored new granite in my guest bathroom. Wasn't sure what caused the stain but figured it was probably oil-based. Tried the flour & dish soap which faded it a little. But when I used the crème brulé torch [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] it got it all and made the entire stain disappear in a couple of minutes. Thanks to Shelley N (Aug 08) and Kevin Chesney (Nov 10)!

Jackie Sundquist
- Castle Rock, Colorado

A. I have a very large kitchen with a lot of granite. The granite is swirls of gray, black, white and peach. A house sitter left a bag of recycling for a week that had plastic bottles in it, and one of them contained oil. So, oil, beer, juice etc. spilled through a hole in the bag and sat there for at least a week.

I tried everything - the poultices, Dawn,Shout, etc. and I realized that we have a friend that drives old cars that leak oil. Every time he visits, we have oil spots on our beige driveway. We use a product called, "Super Clean Tough Task Degreaser" to eliminate the oil spots on our driveway. I think we bought in Home Depot or an automotive store (?). Anyway, I sprayed it on, sprinkled baking soda on top, let it sit for an hour and the huge stain disappeared! This stuff is amazing!

Mariel Baker
- San Diego, California

Q. Got a Listerine ring on a light colored granite top. Any suggestions?

Wendy Kerrigan
hobbyist - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Q. Grandson left a blue popsicle melt on a placemat on our black granite. It melted under the placemat and I didn't find it until 2-3 hrs later. It has left a whitish colored stain. I tried the cornstarch paste with cling wrap and no effect. Called a local granite shop they suggested lemon Pledge. That has not worked. Any suggestions? New counter top.

Beth Oergel
housewife, retired - Olympia, Washington

Q. I woke up this morning to find SELF TANNING lotion spilled on my new granite counter....any suggestions?

nikki arnasn
- wpg, mb, canada

Q. No, it wasn't me; it was my husband who dripped some hair dye onto our brand-new granite vanity countertop. I've postponed killing him until I find out whether the stain can be removed. Supposedly the granite was sealed after it was put in, even tho it still water-spots anytime water is splashed. The water spots aren't an issue; they dry after a couple of hours, but I'd really like to know how to remove the hair dye.

Pamela Madden
Homeowner - Mountain View

A. Hello everyone .
Most of the stain on a granite countertop or natural stone will go if you apply a wet piece of cloth with bleach and leave it there for a one hour or more. Make sure that the piece of cloth is wet enough.
Sealer should be applied every year by a professional.
Granite counters are beautiful and made for lifetime.
Best Regards,
Elva

Elva Paravani
- Canada

A. I tried the homemade remedies and they did not work. The Dupont StoneTech Professional Oil Stain Remover [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] worked for our countertop. If you are in Canada you cannot order it from Amazon or any American supplier. Instead, go to the Dupont site where you can search for distributors in your area.

Margaret Michael
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Q. I am probably the most unfortunate here...my daughter left what we thought was an empty MAGENTA ink cartridge right in the middle of my granite bar...now I have a large red spot! HELP!

Karen Boess
- Springfield, Missouri, USA

A. My granite countertops were white, brown and black (Deer brown). The installer told me to wipe it with detergent and a sponge. He never mentioned sealing them. After 2 years, the white was gone and they looked dingy. I bought 5 lbs of poultice for over $100, from a company I found online, for my small kitchen. It was supposed to be sufficient for my square footage but it came up short. It did about 2/3rds. It worked great! You had to mix it with lacquer thinner. However, for the remaining 3rd, I used Diatomaceous Earth (DE) (available at a pool supply store) and lacquer thinner. It worked equally as well at a fraction of the price. Mix the DE with lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] until it forms a paste that you can trowel on, cover it with plastic, tape the edges and 24 hours later remove it. Let the countertop dry, then seal it. Mine looks like new.

Scott Bullen
- Winchendon, Massachusetts

Q. I've got home tonight and noticed a lighter discoloration on my dark grey honed granite countertop. The discoloration looks foggy and opaque. I wonder if my cleaning lady put a bottle of a cleaning product on top. Wiped it off, but not totally removing the product. The stain has this circular shape just like when you clean something.
I'm afraid she's damaged my countertop and I'll have to pay for someone to come by and try to fix it.
Any suggestions?
thank you

vanessa oliveira
- new york, New York, usa

A. Hi all,

For a year and a half I've had a new, brown flecks in beige, granite in our kitchen. I think its name was Mexican something. I love it but was badly surprised to see it stain in the first few days, in spite of on-site sealing. What a shock.

There seems to be two approaches on removing stains: oil-based stain, or non-oil-based stain.

For non-oil based I use a 6% Hydrogen Peroxide solution/poultice. You will have to buy 12% at a health food store and dilute a small amount. Make a poultice with baking soda (or any of the other inert dry materials mentioned in the response threads, but nothing with color). Completely cover the grease spot and the cover with plastic wrap or cut up a plastic bag. Again, no colors. I use masking tape to tape the plastic over wet poultice. It should be a really wet paste, saturated but not running. Leave it on at least 24 hours. This covering prevents the liquid from evaporating, and allows the poultice to work. Remove the cover and clean up the wet residue.

Now it looks great. Wrong! The liquid has migrated down into the granite, releasing the stain, the poultice draws up the stain, but now you have a bigger stain. Someone mentioned that. Just wait patiently. It might take two or three days to dry out. After it is completely dried and the larger stain has disappeared, check the original stain. You might have to repeat the process a couple of time.

What is a poultice? Wikipedia lists two definitions, one for skin sores and the second: "It can also be a porous solid filled with solvent used to remove stains from porous stone such as marble or granite."

For oil-based stains use acetone and one of the inert powders. Follow the same rules.

Note: My countertop sealing varies throughout the countertop. Fortunately, around the sink it is sealed the best. Near the stove, not so good. I intend to reseal it and have been looking online for a better sealer. Don't know the answer yet. Also, don't know if you seal it two or three times if it works better?

Sealants usually take 24 hours to dry and DO NOT SET ANYTHING ON THE WET SEALANT. YOU WILL HAVE A PERMANENT STAIN THAT MAY NOT BE REMOVED.

Hope this helps, it is what I do

Frank Previte
- Spring, Texas, USA

putty stains on granite countertop

!  This is a new problem not previously discussed. My new granite countertops were installed Sep 24. When installers left, I reconnected the water and drain lines, using a work light under the cabinet. I got out from under the cabinet to turn the water on and noticed a shaft of light coming from the back right corner of the sink. Upon further checking, the sink wasn't centered properly and there was an actual gap which I could put my fingernail into. The installers had used a bead of silicone caulk but it wasn't completely dry or cured. So I was able to scooch the sink over to cover the gap but was then left with light shining out from THREE corners of the sink. My fix for that was to jam some plumbers putty up into each corner so that water wouldn't leak back under the sink corners! Little did I realize that there is OIL in plumbers putty! The countertop is in a downstairs kitchen unit and I did not go back down there until 10 days later. Now I have four corners of my sink area that are discolored and darkly stained. Racked my brain for two days trying to figure out why this staining was occurring - and seemed to be growing! Suddenly, had an epiphany - I had put plumbers putty into each of the four corners of the sink.

Immediately went downstairs and removed all the putty, and taped some super-absorbent towel pieces over all four areas. I will be trying some of the ideas listed here to get this minute amount of oil to wick itself back out of the corners. This is just a warning to others - sometimes the most innocent of fixes can get you into a nightmare world! It will take me hours of time and effort to try and get these stains back out of these unsealed, unpolished granite corners - and all the while, the contents of the sink cabinet will have to be removed, doors removed, etc. How could I have done this to myself? I thought I was smarter than this. I realize after reading this thread that I may never get this brand new beautiful countertop back to its original color. A word of warning - NEVER use plumbers putty around granite. Linda L.

Linda Lutz
- Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

A. Oil spots can be removed with a poultice made of 80% plaster (either molding plaster or plaster of paris) and 20% baking soda. Mix with mineral spirits to a toothpaste like consistency and cover the spot with poultice. Cover poultice with plastic and seal with masking tape. 2-3 days later, razor blade the dried solution off top. Boom... stain is gone. Repeat as needed and be sure to seal area a day or two afterwards to help prevent this from happening again. Please be advised that sealers or impregnators only slow down the absorption of oils, they do not stop it. It gives you time to clean up oil; but if left on, the oil WILL penetrate the stone and darken it. Granite is still a beautiful and natural material for counter tops and yours is unique from any other in the world.

David Aiello
- Walkersville, Maryland

Q. I just had my granite counters put in and Palmolive dish soap left a greenish blue ring on it! I tried the baking soda paste and left it on overnight and now I have a dark area. Will it go away and the stain is still there. Thanks.

Toni Clawson
- Sterling, Virginia

!! Acetone strips sealer off counters and will leave dull patches, looking like it's been etched (which it has).

My understanding was the sealer's job is to 'bead up' whatever gets spilled on the counter, giving us a window of time to wipe it up to avoid staining. I can see how leaving oil on stone counters overnight might lead to a stain, but are all of these comments about oil stains in that category? If not, it sounds like the sealer may not be doing it's job? Either the wrong sealer and/or improperly sealed?

Kate Steele
- Detroit, Michigan, USA

Q. Ok here is a new one. I got a granite wood stove and I had a bouquet of artificial flowers near it. Well it melted on it and I had to scrape some flowers off with a razor blade but it still left black scorched marks.. How do I remove this?

Stephanie Conti
- Petersburg, New Jersey

Q. Can you suggest me a cleaner. I put oven spray on granite bench top; it looks like a whitening has come up. How I can fix that? If any expert can help on this, thanks. Black granite damage. So give me any suggestions; thanks.

Kuldeep Kaur
cleaning - Brisbane, Australia

Q. I have a black Granite countertop while cleaning my bathroom I set a bottle of cleaner on it that contained bleach when I went to take it off it had a white ring where the bottle was sitting. I have tried everything and can't get it to go away any suggestions?

Karen Engelkens
- Fulton, Illinois, USA

A. For those white heat spots I ended up having someone come in to rebuff & seal the granite on those spots I now always throw a dish towel under my pots & pans when placing them on the granite. Now I am having an oil drama since my husband cooks his own breakfast his bacon grease is killing my counter. I am gonna try the stone cleaner then seal that area with a good stone sealer to stop it from absorbing until I can get to clean it up.

Deborah Jones
- LaGrange Ohio USA

Hi Deborah. Buy him one of those screen-style grease spatter shields for his frying pan. They work pretty well (unless he lays it on your granite counter while he flips the bacon).

Q. Bathroom cleaner has gotten onto black marble floor, leaving white spots. How can I remove the marks?

georgia Gillen
- uk

I have a black granite kitchen top which I accidentally left oven cleaner on. Now the countertop has a white cloudy appearance. I know that this is one of the substances I definitely shouldn't put on granite, but does anyone have any advice how to remove the stain? I haven't seen anyone else post this question yet.

-Miles

Armstrong Barkley
- Amsterdam, Netherlands

I tried using the StoneTech stain remover after reading reviews and watching videos. The original small stain is gone but in its place is a much, much larger stain in the shape of the remover (only bigger - it's bigger than my hand!). Is this common? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the solvent that is still drying?

Also, there are flecks of the stain remover in the pores of the granite. Has anyone had this problem and been able to remove them? Thanks.

Leah Reich
- Berkeley, California, USA

A. I tried removing grease stains from my unsealed granite by putting lemon juice (just squeezed some from a lemon) directly on the stain and then added talcum powder and made a paste. I allowed it to sit for half and hour and removed it. It was amazing! I applied a second application on an especially difficult stain. This really worked well for me.

Heather Wharton
Homeowner - Las Vegas, Nevada

Acetone

We moved to new condo and have light-colored granite countertop. It got oil stain so for that I used baking soda and water poultice to remove it but when I wiped it off after 24 hours, the stain became larger and rough to touch. It is looking now big darkened and rough to touch stain surface. Can you please help me out how to remove it and make it smooth like before?

Thank a lot!

Kinsy Shah
- Edmonton, AB, Canada

thumbs up signThe paper towel/acetone application did the trick! I tried everything & this worked beautifully the 1st time!! Thank you~Thank you!!

Kay Carlson
- Sarasota, Florida USA

Q. Just moved to our new condo we renovate everything and we install granite countertop for our new kitchen. I didn't know that oil can stain granite so after cleaning the new chopping board I applied olive oil and lean it against the wall of our kitchen and allow it absorb the oil when my husband removed the chopping board he was shocked and upset since it was new. I tried to mixed cornstarch and dawn green color soap and cover it with damped folded paper towel but stain still there I bought Stonetech oil remover and let it dry for 2-3 days and when my husband roved it, it was totally clean ... really happy with the result

Sheryll M.
- Chicago, Illinois

Q. I went to work to clean house and brought with me a bottle of The Works to try to clean their shower with as they get a blue hue left on things from the water and this product has worked wonders on rust, calcium buildup etc. I had the bottle in the shower with me while I rinsed everything off so I didn't expect there to be any residue on the bottle. When I got out of the shower I set it on their granite counter top & minutes later when I moved it I noticed two rings in the shape of the bottom of the bottle. I wrote the company to ask for any help and they pretty much said that the damage was done but to try a baking soda & water paste and let that sit for several hours and then use a granite polish. Does anyone else have a remedy for this as I know when the people get back from their vacation they are going to want to kill me if I can't fix this. I feel horrible about it and am doing everything I can to find a solution.

11303-4
Dannielle W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
House Keeping - California, USA

Q. I accidentally left a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner on the counter top and it leaked. It left a ugly whitish ring. =>
How can I get it out? Not sure what poultice would work in this situation. :0(

SHIRLEY TROTTER
- Oregon, USA

A. I would try making a paste of equal parts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water, mix in baking soda to form a paste. Apply with a soft rag and let sit for 5 minutes. Wipe off with clean damp rag, rinse and dry. Hope this helps.

Mark Baler
Process Engineering - Phoenix, Arizona USA

A. I've said this in other threads, and possibly somebody above me here has said so as well, but it bears repeating:

What people think of as a "stain" on any given surface will usually be one of two things:
1) Residue, a foreign material that has dried onto the surface.
2) Etching, when the influence of a chemical has physically removed material from the surface.

Residue is no problem, usually some combination of water, soap, or solvent will remove the material.

An etched surface is another matter entirely. Think of it like gouging a wooden tabletop with the corner of something solid and heavy. The original, smooth surface is GONE. The proper fix is to sand down the area of the gouge until you've created an entirely new smooth surface. It involves a lot more work, and the correct abrasive materials for the given surface. The more polished the original surface was, the more an etch mark will stand out. Even just a very slight etch can completely change the way light is reflected and scattered from the surface in the affected area.

Etched surfaces are very much an "ounce of prevention, pound of cure" situation. Be careful with your chemicals, folks! Many household cleaners are quite corrosive to surfaces other than that which they are intended for.

ray kremer

A. You could always pour the bottle contents on the rest of the granite top and wash it off when it matches the stain.

Mark Lees
- A god forsaken rock in the middle of the Irish sea

Q. I placed a white plastic cutting board on dark blackish countertop.. not sure if granite or?? but there is now a light mark around the frame of the cutting board.. as though it bleached the countertop.. since it is not oil stain will the cornstarch therapy be correct or something else.. any suggestions appreciated

Lin Chapin
- w palm beach florida

Q. Hi everyone,

I so appreciate everyone's advice on this thread and was hoping for some expert advice!

I have a light colored peach granite with dark spots throughout.

After living in my new home for a year, the top half of my countertop has maintained it's color (light peach color), but the bottom half (where we do all the chopping, pouring, etc.. has turned a darker color. It's no longer a bright light peach color but now it's a darker dull color. I suspect it's water damage. We found out later on our granite was never sealed.

After much research, I considered trying Granite Poultice but after reading some of your advise, it seems that perhaps cornstarch will help with my deeply embedded water stain?

Any advice you all can provide would be absolutely wonderful!
Mabel

Mabel Henry
- Staten Island New York, USA

Q. I have a light colored granite and have only had it about two months. I have spots all over it that won't clean off. They kind of look like water ring spots but also in places it's much larger.

11303-5b   11303-5a

Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it? Please!

Sandra Wilcox
- Salina kansas

Q. I had stained granite counter tops. I read about using acetone. I had some Acetone Fingernail Polish remover. So I tried it on a small area. It worked. So I purchased acetone at my hardware store & did the counter. Now it is dark where the acetone was.
Do I just do acetone on the rest of the counter? Or is there something else I can do?
I'm under the gun. I need to sell my house!

Cyndee Greene
- Guerneville, California USA

A. Hi Cyndee. There are a good number of comments about using acetone on granite countertops in this thread. Acetone is a solvent that helps remove oil stains, and should not affect the granite per se to my knowledge (although I've never had granite). However, being a solvent, it will remove some "sealants", which is probably what happened.

Whether you can use a granite sealant on just the discolored area precisely enough to match the rest of the counter is hard to guess at. I suppose I'd get sealant and try it on the spot in question ... then if it doesn't match close enough, use acetone on the whole countertop. Good luck.