Need zinc brightener and nickel brightener

1998

RFQ: Sir:

I need information on (1) companies that sell zinc and nickel brightener; (2) How much is it per litre or gallon?; (3) Can I get these chemicals in powdery or liquid form and what is the process of converting the chemicals from powdery form to liquid form; (4) Do you know of any company selling Duozinc concentrate.

Please supply me with the requested information as soon as possible.Thanks.

John

-----
Ed. note: Full name and town, and company name if applicable next time please, John. Thanks.

1997

A. Dear John: Most vendors receive inquiries such as yours quite frequently. There are many well meaning individuals who would like to plate various objects, usually as a hobby. I must urge you and others to use extreme caution. Always make very sure that you are qualified and trained to use some of the chemicals that we use in various chemical baths. Some are irritants, some are toxic, and all must be handled with the utmost care.

Finally, John, as with all responsible platers, you must legally discard any wastes that you generate. In most cases, that means either waste treatment and the legal discarding of any sludges. We as members of the Electroplating community work very hard every day to be good neighbors. Gone are the days of industry several decades ago, where waste treatment was a thing of the future. Stay with plating, learn all that you can. And, yes -you can join the American Electroplaters Society to learn more about plating.

ed budman
Ed Budman  eb sig
- Pennsylvania
With deep sadness we advise that our friend Ed passed away Nov. 24, 2018

1999

Q. Sir, I need information on following chemicals 1. Pyridinium Propyl Sulfonate 2. Propargyl Alcohol 3. 1,4 Butyne Diol As we are manufacturers of Electroplating chemicals and equipments, including brighteners, we need information on the above mentioned chemicals, please do the needful. Thanking you, Gautam Kumar.

Gautam Kumar
- New Delhi, India

1999

Q. Dear Sirs, I am a research student (chemistry). I am curious to know what chemicals are used as brighteners in zinc & nickel electroplating?

Vijaykumar S Ijeri
- Mumbai, India

1999

A. Hi, Vijaykumar. The relevant chapter of ASM's Metals Handbook, Volume 5: Surface Engineering, will give you very good insight into this subject, including the wetting agents, the carriers, and the primary and secondary brighteners. But that is pretty much old news, basically for research. Today nearly all plating shops use proprietary brighteners which are trade secret. Good luck.

Q. Sir I need to formulation of alkaline brighteners

sanjay singh
platers - Faridabad

A. Hi Sanjay. Sorry, I'm not aware of any public domain knowledge on this subject. Are you talking about alkaline non-cyanide zinc plating or what?