23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Scratched Copper

Hi ... I have a copper countertop in my kitchen. Alas, a housekeeper scratched it with a scouring pad of some sort. Is there anyway to repair the surface, without resorting to sanding it down? Maybe some miracle compound?

Pat O'Brien
- San Jose, California, USA

Hi Pat,

Please go and have a look at the response to letter 6637.

I didn't know that modern kitchens had copper countertops. Ignorance is bliss. Thank heavens we don't otherwise it would be me who would have to look after them!

... re that response, I guess you could use S.O.S. pads duly laced with abrasive BUT always scour in the same direction to get a 'brushed' finish, s.v.p.

HAPPY scrubbing!

2006

I am going to install a copper kitchen counter. What can I use to finish the counter so it doesn't require constant cleaning or polishing?

Mike Fleming
home owner - Bradenton, Florida, USA