a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

Manufacturing of phosphating chemicals

(2001)

Q. I am formulating hot zinc phosphating chemical by phosphoric acid + ZnO2 + nitric acid + nickel chloride. I am not getting good deposit in 1:20 parts water bath. Please guide.

Harish Chander Chitkara
Synthetic Polymers - Chennai, India

(2004)

A. Dear Sir,

I would like to guide you. Please provide the ratio of these chemicals in 1 liter or per Kg basis. The answer lies in the correct ratios and the correct chemicals. You seem to be missing on both the fronts. Cheers!

KRISHNANAND SHARMA
Powder Coating - Banaras, U.P., India

Developing Phosphating Chemical for wire industries

(2005)

Q. Respected sir,
I am facing to develop a new type of phosphating chemical but still have a problem for developing it, please suggest related books and literature about same topic.

Touseef Ali Khan
- Karachi

(2005)

A. Dear Mr. Khan,

Please refer the following book:

W. Rausch, "Phosphating of Metals" [link is to info about the book at Amazon], published by Finishing Publications Ltd.
Now this book comes with CD-ROM Database Update! with 3,500 abstract records.

For a recent review on phosphate coating, you can refer to
http://www.ipme.ru/e-journals/RAMS/no_2905/narayanan.pdf

Since "Reviews in Advanced Materials Science" is an e-journal, I believe that the article will be accessible for many readers.

T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan
T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

(2006)

I want to know the real formulation of Zinc Phosphate for wire Industries.

Touseef Al I Khan
- Karachi,Pakistan

(2006)

A. Hi Touseef. You posted a similar question last year and you received a link from T.S.N. Sankara Narayanan to an outstanding paper he wrote on the subject. I suspect that something might have been "lost in the mail" and you are not aware of his response. Please don't miss it!

Although you can get some general hints in the standard texts like The Metal Finishing Guidebook, you might be better with a specialty book like the Rausch book he suggested, or Samuel Spring's "Preparation of Metal for Painting" [link is to info about the book at Amazon].

Q. I want to know what is the formulation of tri-cation phosphate chemical.

Jagdeep Singh
plating shop employee - Punjab

September 29, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Respected Sir

I am trying to Manufacture Zinc Based phosphating Chemical but the problem is facing from my buyers is that the coating life is of very small period .

Please suggest me better additives or better Chemical Compound to increase coating life.

Hanish Mehandru
Product Designer - New Delhi India

Hi, Cousins.

Unfortunately, asking how to formulate a better phosphatization bath is a bit like asking how to make more tasty cookies: it can quickly scatter the thread in many directions and render it incoherent :-)

Please post your formulation, or refer to the article by TSN Sankara, or the dozens of threads on line here about the formulation of phosphatizing processes. Please search the site using the link near the top of the page and scan them, get hold of the books and the on-line papers that have been recommended, and ask specific questions about any remaining questions you have, and you may get some answers. Although people cannot throw away their business advantage by publishing the secrets to their own successful formulations, if you describe specific difficulties they are usually generous in offering very important hints.

Good luck and Regards,

Dear Sir,

I want to know the real formulation of Zinc Phosphate for Electroplating Industry.

Rina goswami
PLATING - MEERUT, U.P., INDIA

Hi Rina. My dear friend Joe Mazia (dec.) designed such formulations for Parker+AmChem before there was an internet, and he kept several large file drawers full of patents on the subject. So after you've read a couple of books about Phosphatizing and understand the generalities, a great source of good information would be the patents, and it is so much easier today with them all being on line.

But by all means, start with TSN Sankara's terrific paper. Good luck.

Q. How can I manufacture, or what is the process of making, metal treatment chemicals such as phosphating, iron phosphating, chromatising; and suggest chemical names which are used for metal treatment or pre-treatment please. I will be thankful to you.

What is process for making powder coating for metal treatment chemicals?

Parag khatsuriya
- vadodra, gujarat, India

A. Hi folks. Please obtain and read the books & papers that have been suggested, then download a number of patents to understand the acknowledged weaknesses of certain formulations and the claimed advantages of the various tweaks. Then readers may be willing & able to offer help on specific questions.

But many people have spent their whole careers designing improved processes of this sort; and the idea that others can enter and successfully compete in a field they know little about, with an answer from an internet forum, would be silly. Best of luck.

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: