RESTORING ALUMINUM PONTOONS

CLEANING PONTOONS IS A [big] JOB, WOULD LIKE SOME ANSWERS ON THE BEST WAY TO SOLVE THIS CLEANING JOB.

CHUCK S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- BROWNSVILLE, TEXAS

Clean the pontoons of oxidation, algae, grease, or barnacles? An answer of 'yes' not allowed:-)

pooky
tom pullizi signature

-- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I need to know how to clean the pontoons on our pontoon boat. It has been out of the water all winter.

Nancy G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
homeowner - Manchester, Kentucky

Pontoon and Hull Cleaner

Barnacle Remover

Hi, Nancy. Probably start with barnacle remover =>
if it's a salt water boat and has barnacle accumulation.

Then clean with a hose (or preferably a pressure washer!).

Then use aluminum pontoon cleaner =>

Good luck with it.

Hi, I am in need of a cleaner that will remove or dissolve the buildup on the pontoon below the water line. This boat has not been out of the water since 1994 and the buildup next to the skin is as hard as a rock.

10727

I have been using a scraping tool as well as a power wire brush but at the rate I am going it will be over a year before I finish. I need something that will dissolve this what I call calcium buildup or at least soften it so that it can be removed.

Andrew Glover
pontoon boat owner - Arleta, California

Hi, Andrew

I believe you are right that these growths are primarily calcium. Aside from pontoon cleaners made for the task,you could try CLR [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or Lime-A-Way [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Stronger acids like Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] will very likely work, but are hazardous materials requiring protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], goggles [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], good ventilation, and a lot of care. Good luck.

Marine Aluminum Restorer and Polish

I bought a used pontoon boat.

It appears to have had barnacles on the boat, causing pitting in the aluminum tubes. The previous owner painted the bottom, but I cannot tell if anti fouling paint was used without primer.

I want to know if you can tell from the photos if
1) Barnacles caused the pitting, not the paint (that is what I think since the pitting is above the water line, and I saw the barnacles in the pitting area before they were removed)
2) If it can be seen if there is a primer, or a way for me to tell.
3) How do I know if this is a problem, and I must immediately remove it?
4) If it has to be removed, with what method.

Thank you in advance.

Matt Stocke
Hobbyist - Pentwater, Michigan USA

----
Ed. note: Some good threads about aluminum pontoons include letters 21588 and 31788.