How to Anodize Aluminium?

(2001)

Dear Sir,

I have my own little Engineering work shop, and often I manufacture parts made of aluminium. I am a Toolmaker by profession and very much take pride of my work. I honestly believe if I knew exactly the procedure from a to z in detail, if possible how to anodize aluminium either in a clear or coloured finish, the product I finally produce then would be of a superior quality to my clients. Can you help me out with this? I live in Malta which is in the heart of Europe, but due to the fact that we are a very small island, aluminium anodizing is extremely difficult to do.

Hoping to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Leslie Bajada
Unicut Tooling - Swieqi, Malta

(2001)

I see no reason you should not be able to anodize on Malta if you want to, Leslie. But you are looking for the whole procedure from A to Z, and people have spent their whole careers in this, which they won't be able to summarize as a response to a website inquiry. The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys by S. Wernick, R. Pinner, P.G. Sheasby pretty much covers the subject from A to Z, whereas a lighter introduction would be Robert Probert's "Aluminum How-To". Good luck.

(2001)

Taken from a strictly theoretical point of view, anodizing is not difficult. In practice, the many different aluminum substrates present a finishing challenge to even very experienced anodizers. In addition, the anodizing itself is only half (or less) of the entire process. Surface preparation of the aluminum is extremely critical. There are many factors involved in producing an attractive, uniform, repeatable finish. Finally, all stages of the process deal with hazardous materials and subsequent disposal of hazardous waste. I would imagine (and hope!) that on a tiny island the pollution regulations would be tight. Don't want to discourage you, just encouraging thoughtful preparation.

Victor Waldman
- Naugatuck, Connecticut

(2003)

This might be helpful, Was on a Paintball website and was originally in a CHEVY hotrod magazine.

Anodize at home

Jay Mac

Note: Splatter Times not responsible for damage, injury or any other results of following these procedures.

Based on the number of companies selling, and people looking for, anodizing services for their gun's aluminum bodies and parts, I wanted to provide this info to the paintballing community. I first came across the process in Super Chevy magazine, in an article about anodizing your own parts and brackets, for a custom touch on your hot rod. (* Original article by Bruce Hampson.) Often anodizing is considered and/or presented as a difficult and expensive procedure. As it turns out, it really isn't that hard or that pricey.

[continued]

Stan Collier
- Lexington, Kentucky<

(2003)

Thanks for your effort, Stan, but we can't simply reprint a copyrighted article. Readers are invited to read the article at www.paintballtimes.com/anodize.htm

(2004)

Try this article astro.umsystem.edu/atm/ARCHIVES/FEB02/msg00511.html

Paul Storrie
- New Zealand