Metal Finishing Guide Book -- How to Get It?

An ongoing discussion from 1996 through 2014. If the history doesn't interest you, skip to the end because things have changed . . .

(1996)

Q. Can I buy a copy of the Metal Finishing Guidebook & Directory without subscribing?

George Pinneo
TRW

(1996)

A. I believe that the guidebook is considered a special edition of the magazine, so I would say that a subscription is the way to purchase it. But you may want to get in touch with someone from Metal Finishing.

tom pullizzi monitor
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township,
   Pennsylvania 

(1996)

A. The $95 (or whatever) will pay for itself in no time.

Besides that, Metal Finishing and the rest ( Plating & Surface Finishing, "Products Finishing", et. al.) are almost as good a way to keep up on the industry's developments as this Web page!

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies
Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona 

You're only saying that because it's true. -pullizzi

(1996)

A. You can buy just the guidebook from the publisher. If they have any at the time. I think the cost is about $25 so I agree with the other responses that a subscription is a better value. I had to do it when someone "borrowed" my copy of the latest handbook.

Gordy Seppanen
materials engineer - Minneapolis, Minnesota

Metal Finishing cover
Pictured are the following editions: 1955, 1961, 1963, 1982, 1997 part 2, 1998 part 1, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004 part 1, 2004-2005 part 2, and 2005 part 1.

A. Hi, all. The Guidebook is an annual publication, and the larger on-line used bookstores have copies of the Metal Finishing Guidebook (follow the link) from various years. Sometimes there is an article in an older edition that is absent from the latest edition. Not to mention that old editions all have an index but many newer issues don't :-)

(Take a hint, Elsevier: a reference book without an index is simply ridiculous). On top of that, the Table of Contents of the 2005 issue leaves out many articles and has wrong page numbers on others -- what are we supposed to do with no TOC and no Index, look through every page every time? :-)

One final thing that bears mentioning is that older issues tended to have formulas and operating conditions, and newer issues have increasingly migrated towards proprietaries, so some newer articles are often more pap than substance. All in all, I would go for a 2002 or earlier edition since they have an index, a proper table of contents, and articles with more real data in them. Good luck.

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

(2001)

Q. Dear Sir:

Could you please send me the web address of Metal Finishing Guide Book which I had read on line but now I could not get it. Please give me the on line address.

With Regards,

David Pappachan Vazappilly
Gold Covering Works - Cochin, India

(2001)

A. Hi David. It was www.metalfinishing.com but you're right that you can't get it, the guidebook was on line for a short time but is no longer. Do yourself a favor and get a used copy at this page: Metal Finishing Guidebook. The web is volatile, on-line reference books can be a maddening frustration, and life is much too short to waste it trying to save your company $10 or $15.

Metal Finishing Techniques for Artists, Craftsman and Sculptors

(2002) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Gentlemen,

I wish to know more about metal finishing as it applies to the hobbyist. Specifically, how to get a brushed look on aluminum sheet, how to get a metal look of welded steel without employing conventional coating techniques, how to best protect this look for optimal wearability, how to anodize aluminum.

In the interest of brevity my question then is "Is there a finishing book that addresses metal finishing concerns for the hobbyist that is considered 'the standard'?"

In advance, I do thank you for this service and your approach in answering same?

DONALD C. BARNES
- Rochester, New York

A. Hi Donald. We appended your inquiry to this thread because the Metal Finishing Guidebook is indeed "the standard". Good luck.

(2004)

Q. Where can you purchase the Metal Finishing Guidebook and Directory?

Kevin W.
Student - Columbus, Ohio

(2004)

A. You could certainly try your library first; but if you want your own copy, you can get it with a subscription to Metal Finishing magazine, or buy a copy from a used book store.

(2004)

ESTIMADOS SEÑORES: POR FAVOR UNA DISCULPA POR NO ESCRIBIR EN INGLES:

NECESITAMOS SABER SI EXISTE EN MEXICO ALGUNA LIBRERIA QUE VENDA EL METAL FINISHING GUIDE BOOK. EN ESPECIAL REQUERIMOS DE INFORMACION SOBRE TODO TIPO DE DESENGRASANTES PARA HIERRO, DECAPANTES DE PINTURA, GALVANIZADO Y FOSFATIZADO. AGRADECEMOS POR ANTICIPADO SU ATENCION. ESPERAMOS SU RESPUESTA.

ATENTAMENTE. ING. JUAN MANUEL PEREZ ESCAMILLA

JUAN MANUEL PEREZ ESCAMILLA
REACON - PUEBLA,PUEBLA. MEXICO

A. Hi Juan. Yes, the Metal Finishing Guidebook covers these subjects. It comes as part of a subscription to Metal Finishing magazine, and it can be delivered to Mexico. If you don't want to wait until January for the next edition, you can get copies of old issues from the used book stores.

Q. Also, I need some information about how to get this book. I'm from Spain and I work in a metal company.

Roberto Sanchez
- Valencia, Spain

Blacksmith seeking primer on Metal Finishes

August 21, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am a professional Blacksmith making a piece that is exterior in a sea air environment (Alaska). I am struggling with my finishing options. I don't know enough about Powder Coating (I have been told it is only good for interior pieces), which has been offered to me at a good deal. I am looking for a book or website that covers a general survey of metal finishes (steel focus) with pros and cons. I hope to find something to use as a reference throughout my career. Any Help?

Jeremiah Backhaus
- West Bend, Wisconsin, USA

A. Hi Jeremiah. Although there may be some powder coatings that are only suitable for interior use because they are of low quality, or are not designed to be UV resistant, or because the substrate was not properly pretreated, powder coating can be a pretty robust finish for exterior use. There are dozens of good metal finishing "primers", and some of the best are listed on our "must-have" list, but we appended your inquiry to this thread because I think the Metal Finishing Guidebook is the single best one for your purposes.

Readers: some of the info has changed over the years, so let me summarize the situation as of this month -- Elsevier closed down Metal Finishing magazine and its Guidebook in December 2013, so the Guidebook no longer exists except in the form of used copies. They can usually be obtained from Amazon and other used book dealers, and the link we offered above still works.

Shortly before Elsevier shut down Metal Finishing they made available a digital version of the Metal Finishing Guidebook. That link obviously will not work forever, but is still working this month, so download a soft copy while you're waiting for your used copy to arrive. Good luck.

----
Ed. note: Jan. 2016 -- The MFG is still available on line, but because my new computer has a double resolution "retina display" that was not anticipated when the page went on line, the page keeps warning me that my computer is set to "zoom in" and is preventing navigation from working. It's not, it's all working fine except for the aggravating pop-up-and-get-in-the-way warning messages :-(
Digital has advantages over hard copy, but some irritating disadvantages as well :-)