Factors that affect Faradays Law of electrolysis

(2001)

I am currently doing a project on Faraday's Law of Electrolysis and I am desperately trying to find out what conditions Faraday did the experiments under, and mainly what factors may affect the rate of consumption of the metals in the system.

Does the flow rate of the electrolyte affect the consumption of anodes? Temperature? Conductivity of electrolyte?

I know the current passing through the system affects the consumption rate, but I can't find any papers that tell of any other factors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Hodgson
- Sedgefield, Cleveland, England

(2001)

Hi Michael. I think that was Faraday's point: one Faraday of electricity (96,487 amp-seconds) deposits one gram molecular weight. Which is to say that all the other "factors" you are looking for are not factors at all.

Of course, his law does assume 100% efficiency, i.e., that all of the electricity goes to depositing metal and none of it is wasted liberating hydrogen from water. Some plating solutions are close to 100 percent efficient, and most are well over 70%, but chrome plating is an exception with efficiency closer to 12%