Anodizing Titanium

(2001)

I want to anodize titanium using a alkaline anodizing bath. Who can give use the formulation of a alkaline anodizing bath. I want to get a gray coating.

Please help me.

Thamara
UFF - Volta Redonda/RJ, Brazil

(2001)

What is the application you have for the grey finish on the titanium parts? When I used to anodize titanium parts I used a supersaturated bath of trisodium phosphate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. The grey comes with too much current density and occurs when the process starts to break down. The grey I got was always by accident and it seemed to etch the surface requiring repolishing of the piece and then reanodizing. If you are looking for a visually pleasing shiny grey color as seen on some jewelry it is most likely niobium instead of titanium. I obtained this grey by heating the niobium with a torch and then lightly polishing with jeweler's rouge [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. With more information I might be able to give you better answers.

Howard Bailey
- Dresden, Germany

(2001)

Mr. Bailey, I think you are describing decorative anodizing of titanium, which is done from acid baths. The alkaline anodizing that Thamara is seeking is done for engineering purposes (reduction of tendency to gall). Although it's covered by spec AMS 2488 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet], the shops who know how to do it keep fairly mum.

(1999)

Does anyone know where I can get technical information on anodizing Titanium?

Ray Handwerker
- Marlboro, New Jersey

(1999)

I remember a recent discussion on titanium anodizing right here on finishing.com but you could also consult the Metal Finishing Guidebook or any other standard surface finishing manual. A simple method of titanium anodizing involves a solution of sodium hydroxide and is very easy to perform. There are other electrolytes that can be used also. Good luck.

Megan Pellenz
- Syracuse, New York

(1999)

Does anyone know how to chemically process two different type of surfaces on a small component. On this small component, one part is highly polished and the other part is a rough acid-etched surface. The transition is precise and immediate.

Dr. Norman Kwan
biomed. implants -. St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

(1999)

Polish and then mask off the polished part and etch the part that is to be rough. The shape of the part will partially determine the type of masking. You might consider masking and abrasive blasting the part that is to be rough. Process will depend on what you are calling "rough" and what the base metal is.

(1999)

Consider reviewing the following U.S. Patents: 3,959,091; 3,989,876 and U.S. Statutory Invention Registration H1207. Each of these articles discusses various methods for chromic acid anodizing of titanium.

Blair Smith
aerospace - Windsor Locks, Connecticut

I am interested in what electrolyte is used to anodize titanium for subsequent adhesive bonding.

Paul D. Stransky, CEF
retired - N. Grosvenordale, Connecticut

Depends what you want out of the bond. If it is structural then you may like to look at an alkaline system such as AMS 2488 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. If it is simply to get things to adhere you could consider sulphuric acid anodising, gives a very thin blue coating, nanometers thick.

You may consider other methods as well, such as wet abrasive blasting the surface or alkaline peroxide oxidation. The wet blast will not give a durable bond for hot or humid conditions, nor will the sulphuric acid anodising. If bonding for operations in hot and/or humid conditions you do need either alkaline anodising or alkaline peroxide oxidation.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

I have had success using a fluoride phosphate and using a chem film coating to improve adhesion for aerospace paint on titanium.

Jim Dedmon
- Ventura, California

I am working in a scientific Iraqi center, becoming interested in surface engineering especially in anodizing process, so my question is: to anodize pure titanium, what is the effective procedures used? How can we decide what are the optimum requirements to pre-anodizing treatment. Thanks

Dr. Shrok Abdullah
Ministry of Science and Technology - Baghdad, Iraq

March , 2009

Hi, Dr. Shrok. A good starting point is probably AMS 2488 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. Good luck.