Dye sublimation coating

(2001)

Q. Has anybody found a source for an acrylic coating (polyester based?) that can be used to coat ceramic or metal so that you can apply a dye sublimation image to it (375 - 400° F)?

Jose Morales
PMI - Cayey, Puerto Rico

Sublimation Coating for hard materials

Sublimation Coating for cotton fabric

(2002)

Q. I have not found any supplier for your coating, if you have found any, I would appreciate to learn about it.

Mohamed Elabi
- Cairo, Egypt

A. Hi, folks. According to coating consultant Carl Izzo, Nov. 2005, in Products Finishing magazine: two-component polyester coatings are suggested (typical automotive clearcoats). For small jobs, polyester casting and coating resins are available from craft stores. For larger projects, mix the components and use a conventional spray gun (using it up quickly and cleaning the equipment because of the short shelf life) or use a two-head spray gun. I have no personal experience in this though.

Readers:
This site is for camaraderie and TECHNICAL information exchange. People tried to be helpful by posting testimonials of their experience, but this led to sellers prowling for inquiries where they felt justified posting ads. And the next seller felt that their ad had to be longer and more extravagant to get any attention, and the race to the bottom was on. Eventually we had to go back to the beginning and delete all of those ads and testimonials :-) So we removed them, and can print no more, sorry. We will simply list without comment any URLs that were/are submitted:

Rave hair spray
(Pkg of 6 cans)

A. Hey, don't go out and buy the expensive sublimation coatings. I've been doing months worth of research. You really aren't going to believe this but go purchase Rave 4X hairspray =>

..(yeah, I'm serious). I've successfully used it on porcelain tiles, wood and most recently a 100% cotton T-shirt. When I used the T-shirt I washed it three times in cold water (didn't use hot) and dried it. NO COLOR FADE. The reason I did this research is because it takes me a week to get the coating in and as a business just starting out I couldn't afford to have a lot of it in stock.

Angela Muir
- Leeds, Alabama USA

Q. Hello, I would like to know how Rave 4x mega is used, Drying time to allow, Any Curing for hard substrates? I would like to give it a try. would just like to know what the process is for substrates I would like to use, Metal, Ceramics. Thanks.

Nelson Russell
- Lawrenceville, Georgia