Dry film Q&A's; Mil-PRF-46010

An ongoing discussion from 2000 through 2015 . . .

(2000)

RFQ: I am in need of a dry lubricant that has very low VOCs and passes Mil-L-46010 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. We currently are using the Nordson electrostatic rotary atomizers (RA-20s) to spray the material. Therefore, we are unable to use a water-based material without doing a major overhaul to the system. Is there anyone out there that has found a compatible low VOC lubricant and uses it in such a system? I currently use an Acheson product and I am investigating EM coatings, Dicronite, and Tioga. Any others?

Jenny S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Indianapolis, Indiana
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2001)

RFQ: Looking for lubricant, solid film air-cured corrosion inhibiting spray per MIL-L-23398 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil].

Tom L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Massachusetts, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2001)

A. Here are two manufacturers that market a product that meets MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]. They are E/M Corp. in Peachtree, GA and Sandstrom Products Co. in Port Byron, IL.

Bruce Moncrieff
Superior Graphite -

(2001)

A. You could try using Boron Nitride formulations produced by Saint-Gobain advanced ceramics.

C.F. JACOB
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

(2001)

A. Moly X-Spray is a dry film lubricant. This product contains a toxic chemical subject to the reporting requirements of section 313 of Title III of the Superfund Amendment and Reauthorization Act of 1986. Each regulated chemical is present at a concentration that DOES NOT EXCEED the below specified upper bound concentration value.

Information Taken from "SECTION II. HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS" of this products MSDS, prepared January 2001

1. Isobutane/Propane blend CAS# 75-28-5 TLV: 800 ppm PEL: 800 ppm CAS# 74-98-6 TLV:1000 ppm PEL:1000 ppm

2. Hexane CAS# 110-54-3 TLV: 50 ppm PEL: 50 ppm

3. Acetone CAS# 67-64-1 TLV: 750 ppm PEL: 1000 ppm

4. Isopropanol CAS# 67-63-0 TLV: 400 ppm PEL: 500 ppm

"SECTION V. HEALTH HAZARD DATA" of Moly X-Spray's MSDS reads:

TLV: Not established - See Section II CARCINOGENS: N/A etc.

Moly X-Spray is a superior dry film lubricant that meets and exceeds the reporting requirements.

Randall Miller
- Germantown, Maryland

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

(2001)

Q. What is Mil-L-46010 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] dry film lube? I have a print in which that spec. is called out. I need to know a process or product.

Mike Seifert
- Wautoma, Wisconsin

(2001)

A. Hello Mike!

The current version of that specification is MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]F, and the 20 page document is available for free at assist.daps.mil. But it really sounds like you want the Qualified Products List that the military sometimes publishes for their specs. Here, you're in luck- you can get QPL-46010-13, a one page document listing two products. That doesn't mean you can't use others- just that the ones listed are OK by the DoD folks, and you may have to prove to them that others are acceptable.

Good Luck!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

----
Ed. note 5/29/12: That mil specs page has moved around many times over the years, but is currently at assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/.
Ed. note 11/2/15: moved again; this time to http://quicksearch.dla.mil/

Dry film lube in single aerosol cans

(2005)

Q. Do any of you know a source for small quantities, such as aerosol cans, of moly or PTFE dry film lube?

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg,
      South Carolina

1/2 lb. Moly Paste Anti-Seize

(2005)

A. Hi Jeffrey. Bicycle shops have spray cans of teflon, as this is the lubricant of choice for bicycle chains. Auto stores may have it. You can also order Molybdenum Spray [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

(2005)

A. Any industrial supply house such as Grainger or MSC. A wide variety of manufacturers sell dry film lube in aerosol cans. Also check out LPSlabs.com for technical information on these products.

Bryan Parker
- New Mexico

DOD-L-85645 cross references

(2005)

Q. Since DOD-85645 dry lube has been deactivated, what is a MIL Spec equal?

I hear that MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] Rev. F is an equal, but I have nothing to confirm.

This is Tungsten Disulfide in a lamellar form.
Hardness- 1.0 - 1.5 Moh's scale
Molecular weight: 248.02
Thickness: 0.000020 inch (0.5 microns) max.
Temp. range: -350 °F to +1000 °F.
Thanks for any information you may be able to give me.

Allan Case
- Gardena, California

A. DOD-L-85645 is inactive for new designs as you point out. There is an analogous SAE specification AMS 2530 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] which links to DOD-L-85645 Type 1 and can be used going forward. We provide a coating that conforms to this, Dicronite dry lubrication, which can be sourced from facilities around the world.

Wesley

Wesley DeKlotz
- San Jose, California, USA

(2007)

Q. Per the MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] QPL, I'm spraying material 9002. We do not have the other two products listed. We are having some difficulty having it adhere to the parts. We have Stripped (abrasive blasted) the parts twice now. Should I order the other materials listed in the QPL? What material do you recommend?

Amanda Yeager
engineer - Phoenix, Arizona

A. MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] is a qualifying specification, it qualifies the product out of the can. There is not an application specification for Dry Lube.

You didn't state what you are trying to get the Dry Lube to adhere to, I'm assuming you are applying it to steel. We phosphate before applying the Dry Lube and have no problems with adherence. If you can't phosphate prior to Dry Lube dip your alkaline dip your parts to remove any organic residue that maybe left on the surface.

Hope this helps.

Justin Brooks
Rock Island Arsenal - Rock Island, Illinois

Need a High Volume Immersion Dry Film Source PRF-40610

RFQ: I have an opportunity for high volume (500,000 pieces) anodized work that requires dry film per MIL-PRF-46010 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil].

I do not have a source for the dry film as of yet. This must be an emersion process to be cost competitive.

David J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
Metal Finisher - Minneapolis, Minnesota
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

December 12, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I want to coat dry wax film on silver plated stainless steel 316 nut. Please help me with the procedure of coating.

Abdullah Bhola
product designer - Mumbai,Maharashtra, India

A. Hi, Abdullah. I am a little unclear about what kind of coating you wish to apply and why -- but I am thinking you are probably interested in a Dry Lube? The appendix of the referenced spec, Mil-PRF-46010, includes application instructions.

Suggested OVEN for baking parts after Dry Film Lubrication

Q. We are a small-mid size company in NJ.
Some of the parts that we manufacture require Dry lubrication coating per MIL-PRF-46010.
We need help in selecting the right oven to do this.
Job run would typically require a oven space 12" x 12" x 12".

Can you please help?

Julio Valerio
- Paterson, New Jersey, USA

LU204
(pkg. of 12)

Q. What ASTM or MIL spec would LU204 fall under?

Thank You.

Charles Thurber
machining - Thousand Oaks, California USA

A. Hi Charles. This is a graphite spray, and I'm not sure that it falls under any ASTM or MIL specs. Could you please try to explain your situation that motivates this question. Thanks.

Q. We are new to the process called Solid film lubricant as per MIL-PRF-46010H and when I read the standard I found a few queries in coming months and planning for an NADCAP audit. Please help me out.

Questions as mentioned below:

1) Tiolube 20/20 is the lubricant we are using on Stainless steel and steel., This is a water base SFL; my question is whether sandblasting is a must for the process on stainless steel and steel? And should I need to record viscosity using a viscosity meter?

2) MIL-PRF-46010H calls for many tests and my customers ask for testing like thickness, load carrying capacity, salt spray, film adhesion, solids content. My question is should we do all the testing in periodic (monthly) as MIL-PRF-46010H does not show any line telling periodic tests.

3)MIL-PRF-46010H 4.4.2.2 says 2 steel disks and six sets of pins and vee blocks and not understanding what is all that exactly meant, all those are readily available (or is there any dimension)?

Hrishikesh MK
Manager - Bangalore, Karnataka, India