Which Electroplating Solution is Best?

(2001)

Q. Hello. I am doing a science project in electroplating and my mom found this wonderful site. I was wondering, since I have seen two basic ways of doing this project, one with vinegar, ethylene glycol and salt, and another with CuSO4, which gives the best results and which would be the best to use? I have no problem getting any of the supplies, it's just I haven't found any information on which solution is best. Thank you for helping.

Lee Foreaker
- Plymouth, Massachusetts USA

(2001)

A. I would go with the copper sulfate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], since a mixture of acetic acid, ethylene glycol, and sodium chloride will not electroplate anything (no metal to plate).

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2001)

Yes, having some metal to plate out is certainly an important consideration smiley!

But actually, Lee is probably referring to letters 064 and 2492, which describe using these chemicals with copper anodes.

Several people have reported good results with that formula, Lee, and it does have the advantage that you are not buying, using, and disposing of copper sulphate which has a high concentration of soluble copper and is therefore a powerful biocide that should be treated with more respect than the average science experimenter wants to expend.

(2001)

Thank you very much. This will help a lot in my project. I thought I would end up using the vinegar, salt, and ethylene glycol solution, but I just wanted to make sure. Well, Thank you again!

Bye :) Lee

Lee Foreaker
- Plymouth, Massachusetts USA