Rz to Ra; Surface texture conversion

(2000)

Q. Could someone please help me out with a conversion factor. I need to convert Ra to Rz. If my print states a machined surface to be controlled to a maximum of Rz125, what would be the Ra equal? My measuring equipment has parameter settings of Rz.J, Rz.I and R3z. Which setting would I want if the characteristic tolerance is Rz125? Help! Please.

Todd D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Toledo, Ohio

A.
Rz (din) = Ra*7.2
Rz(ISO) = Ra*7.6

Ra=Rz(din)/7.2
Ra=Rz(ISO)/7.6

san [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- shanghai china

Q. Convert Rz value to Ra.

Subramani MOHAN KUMAR
MACHINING - HOSUR, TAMIL NANU, INDIA

Q. Please guide me how to convert Ra 2 to Rz?

B Mohosin
Automotive - GURGAON, Haryana, India

6753ext

A. Hi Mohosin. The best advice is don't! Just MEASURE the surface's Rz instead. Although you can convert meters to inches or pounds to kilograms, because they are both units of length, you can't convert inches to pounds or meters to kilograms. The best you can hope for is some degree of correlation. If I tell you that my sister is 62 inches tall, you cannot tell me her weight; the best you can say is something like "It's reasonably safe to believe that she weighs more than 70 pounds and not more than 200 pounds."

The problem here is that going from Ra to Rz or vice-versa is a 'rough correlation' not a 'conversion' because Ra and Rz don't measure the same thing. For correlations to be relatively safe depends on which direction you want to go...
If you know the Rz, you can divide by somewhere between 4 and 7 to estimate the Ra that you will be able to pass with reasonable safety.
But if you know the Ra, you should multiply by probably 15 to 20 to estimate the Rz value you will be able to pass.

In other words, you can estimate that the Rz of your part is probably about 30 or 40, but even with such a conservative estimate you may not be able to promise it :-(