-----

"How to remove PVD coatings (Zirconium Nitride / ZrN)"

An ongoing discussion beginning back in 2000 ...

2000

Q. I have a problem to remove the ZrN coatings applied by PVD.

Please inform about the right way for stripping ZrN.

Esteban Cabrito Martinez
Esteban Cabrito Martinez
- Guipuzcoa, Spain
^

2000

A. Hi Esteban

You can remove PVD ZrN coating films with a solution of HF (10%).

JosÈ Francisco Costa
- Aveiro - Portugal
^

2003

A. You can remove ZrN coating with Dico stripper. We buy this in Germany. It is a stripper that I use in my factory. It is made of ammonium hydrogen difluoride.

Helder Lima
- Braga - Portugal
^

Q. Hi, I couldn't get any information on Dico Stripper. Maybe it's a long time. Can you share if there is new information on this removal? I need support for the removal of PVD coatings.

Kerim Erbil
Roca Tr Bath - ESKISEHIR,TURKEY
^

A. Hi Kerim. Yes, 13 years is a long time; plus 'Dico' may have been a typo and, even if not, it's such a common name that I could find nothing in a practical amount of time. But you need to specify exactly what PVD coating you need to strip from what substrate material, and what type of part (for example is it a tiny finely-detailed component such that abrasive stripping is impossible, or is it a sheet of building siding which came out the wrong color?)

Meanwhile, thread 5007 offers a lot of help, as does:
https://www.pfonline.com/articles/stripping-pvd-coating
and
https://www.iom3.org/materials-world-magazine/news/2007/jan/01/stripping-processes-hardwearing-coatings

^

Q. Dear Mr. Mooney,
First of all, thank you very much for your response.
We want to strip PVD Coating from two different base materials.
1) Base material (brass)
2) Stainless steel Equipments of PVD machine (hangers, satellite table, shields etc ...)

We use Zr, Cr / W targets.
We are using Nitrogen and Acetylene gases.
Sincerely Yours

Kerim Erbil [returning]
- Odunpazari, Eskisehir, Turkey
^

^- Privately respond to this RFQ -^