-----

How to make .1 N sulfuric ACID

FAQs & TUTORIAL:
(to provide context, hopefully helping readers more quickly understand the Q&A's)

A 'molar solution' or '1.0 M' solution is defined as a solution which contains one gram-equivalent weight of the substance in question dissolved in 1 liter of solution (the water).

The atomic weight of a molecule of sulphuric acid, H2SO4, would be the atomic weight of 2 atoms of H plus 1 atom of S plus four atoms of O (the atomic weights can be obtained from the Periodic Table, or an appendix in the Metal Finishing Guidebook) as
2*1.008 + 32.066 + 4*16.000 ... or 98.082
-- let's round it to 98.

So a 1.0 M solution of sulphuric acid contains 98 grams of sulphuric acid per liter of water. Working with different strengths like 0.5 M (1/2 molar or 49 g/L) and different volumes is then a matter of simple arithmetic.

Since two protons [hydrogen atoms] are available to react in sulphuric acid, the normality of sulphuric acid is always twice its molarity, a 1.0M solution is a 2.0N solution.

Hardcopy of various editions is occasionally available
mfg_online
(affil. link)

A pdf is currently available from academia.edu

Q. Are you able to make .1N sulfuric acid from 50% sulfuric ACID? What would be the proper amount of D.I. to make this happen?

BLH Hanshaw
LAB TECH - Chandler, Arizona
^

A. Hi BLH. Yes, you can do this but if you could set the stage by telling us why you want to do it, the answer might be better. For example, usually when something is expressed as a low normality solution like that it's because it will be used in analytical work, and you don't want to be making a test tube size batch of 0.1N sulfuric acid from 50% sulfuric acid for an analytical titration, you want to buy lab chemicals :-)

As you see from the tutorial, a 0.1N solution of sulphuric acid is the same as a 0.05M solution, so it would have 5% of 98, or 4.9 grams per liter of acid. You would want to put the better part of one-liter of D.I. water in a large flask, then add 9.8 grams of your H2SO4 (because its 50%), and then add the remaining D.I. to fill the flask to the 1 liter mark.

^

thumbs up sign Thank you for getting back to me sir. The solution will be used for analytical testing. The reason I am seeking out the proper way to make the solution is because the wait time is too long for a bottle to arrive. Our vendor will not be able to have it delivered until 2nd week of DECEMBER. We cannot wait that long.

So in the meantime I am trying to find alternative solutions -- no pun intended.

BLH Hanshaw [returning]
LAB TECH - Chandler, Arizona
^

A. Good luck. Hopefully a reader will double check my numbers as I am not a chemist :-)

^