How to make Gold Plated Roses, or Where to Buy Wholesale?

(2000)

Q. Hi my name is Brad and I have been an electroplater for 9 years now and feel that it is in my best interest to start my own company. I would like to Gold and Silver plate Roses, the kind that is a valentine's day specialty, in other words the real thing. I know it can be done but have been unable to find any resources or literature to help my dream progress. Not even our supplier has any idea. Please Please please, if you have any information that you think would help me please forward A.S.A.P

P.S. the more detailed the better, from making the rose conductive,
To cleaning,
To plating (any special needs, or simply bright nickel)
To Gold Plating (acidic, cyanide, etc.)
To drying, and anything else I missed

Brad.

Bradley Jones
- Melb, Vic, Australia

(2000)

A. Hi, Bradley. Please start with the FAQ here on plating organic materials. Then talk to the suppliers of the lacquers and metallizing solutions. Try a search from our home page for additional related letters here. Try a computerized lit search at your library perhaps. Then get back to us. Thanks.

(2001)

RFQ: Dear Brad,

Did you ever learn how to plate roses? I am looking for a supplier, do you know of anyone that might be able to help me.

William M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Naugatuck, Connecticut
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2003)

RFQ: Hi, looking to purchase wholesale gold plated and silver plated roses in a gift box. Need quantities and prices. Would like to be able to get in a long 50 or 60 cm length partially open and the closed bud.

Robert S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
^- Sorry, this RFQ is outdated
     View Current RFQs

(2001)

A. Hello Brad,

Like you I have been in the electroplating industry for the past 7 yrs. I have been doing the gold/silver roses for about 2 years now.

Just to give you the basics, going from conductive plating to non-conductive plating is a very big step as far as prices for solutions and the paints used to make the rose conductive. One route is to call a company that sells the silver conductive paint (the cost is about $50.00 a gram). Or you can go the easy route like we do for our roses and order the metal form which is a copper conductive paint that sells for $48.00 for 8 oz. As far as sealing the roses some people use lacquer, but the rose tends to absorb the lacquer and that kills the rose, so what we use is an epoxy resin to seal the roses. Once you have the rose sealed, then apply your conductive paint either by brush or spray. Once the conductive paint is fully dry place in a cold copper solution over night. this will cause a micro thin shell of copper to be deposited on top of the conductive paint. On day two remove from the cold copper solution and inspect for coverage and any missed spots in the conductive paint (if you find missed spots in the paint then you need to repeat the cold plate solution.)

Now it is finally time to do the actual plating, or in this case electroforming, because you want to deposit a strong even plate on the rose. For the copper I strongly recommend that you order bright acid copper. Find a solution that is the best copper solution to improve the low current density areas. It is expensive but not as expensive as buying 10 different copper solutions that don't work. After the copper comes the bright nickel solution, you want this to come out of the bath as bright as possible without polishing, because gold plating solutions will mirror the surface they are plated over (i.e., dull nickel = dull gold). Then the gold is plated over the nickel.

And there you have it -- 4 days later and one gold rose. As far as times of plating and current values this is something you need to figure out on your own by trying different things. Don't get upset if you don't get it the first time or even the 10th time; you will get it though and when you do you will be one of a handful of people in the world that can do this.

Michael J.Pierce
- Battle Creek, Michigan

----
Ed. note: Thanks, Michael. Very informative!

(2003)

Q. Hi Folks,

I just discovered this discussion. I too am interested in gold plating roses, except, I'm a complete novice in plating. I have lots of questions. What equipment, processes, facilities, chemicals do I need; where can I get them; what kind of epoxy is used to seal roses; where can I read up on this stuff etc. I just want to do this for a hobby for friends and relatives. Also I want to plate other natural materials such as bugs, spiders, leafs, etc.

I will appreciate any info.

Gunter Kurz
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

A. Hi Gunter. If you can't follow Michael's suggestions because you aren't yet familiar with plating processes, equipment and terminology, please try the Metal Finishing Guidebook. This is a great technical and commercial introduction to electroplating. It's been available on-again & off-again on line, but getting a hard copy is worth the effort.

(2006)

I have been plating gold roses since 1991. Every year I am plating, with my own hands, up to forty thousand roses, not only gold rose, but also platinum roses. I have supplied over 2,000 companies in the world with our rose products. If anyone interested in how to do it, please ask me. I would be very glad to share the information.

Maoyou Liu
- Los Angeles, California, USA

Ed. note: Please publicly share all that you feel comfortable sharing, Maoyou -- we'd greatly appreciate it! This forum is for public discussions, and some readers find it rude when threads they were getting interested in are hijacked to private discussion. Plus the forum is made possible for us all to enjoy by our supporting advertisers; we can't spend their money steering the readers off to their competitors. Thanks for your understanding.

(2002)

Q. I am successfully electroplating fresh roses. I need to increase the efficiency and out put. Currently I suspend individual roses in the electroplating bath(copper, nickel and gold). Could some one help me device a better system (rack?) so that I can get better plating and manage better numbers. Any suggestion on current distribution and other caution parameters will be helpful as I am an amateur electroplater.

Thanks in advance,

Rajpal Singh Kochhar
- New Delhi, India

(2002)

thumbs up signAnyone who can successfully gold plate fresh roses is no amateur, Mr. Kochhar :-)

(2003)

Q. Dear Mr Rajpal Kochhar,

I understand that you are electroplating roses and other organic objects ... Can you, kindly, tell me what conductive material or paint to coat the objects to make it suitable for electroplating.

Thank you in advance,

Boutros Karam
- Beyrut

(2003)

Q. Hello Kochhar,

Can you please advise me how did you do gold plating on fresh roses? I have heard that first it should be silver paint and then bright copper, bright nickel and final gold. And also advise me how to get mirror-like finish on fresh roses?

Thanking you,

Dipen Pattni
Dipen Pattni
jeweler/goldsmith - Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania

(2003)

A. Years ago I used a lacquer (Heavily thinned) with copper fines, cyanide copper, Acid copper, Bright nickel then gold. As far as racks, I used a box rack with tiny hooks. I tied copper wire on two ends of clovers/ parsley (that's what I plated).

If you keep the same amps per square inch of both anode to cathode and amps per item that you were presently using, you should be close to the same as presently running if all other.

Understanding that what you start with is what you will finish with, acid copper is fine grained and has great leveling properties.

Chris Snyder
plater - Charlotte, North Carolina

(2006)

Q. I would be interested in the technicals of plating flowers. I am a precious metal refiner and looking to branch into plating. I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks

Joseph Owens
- Chattanooga, Tennessee

(2007)

It is difficult for us to know exactly what info you have vs. need, but for a general understanding of electroplating please get hold of a book on our Books page; perhaps start with the Metal Finishing Guidebook. Good luck!

(2007)

Q. I have a business in the UK plating non metallics baby shoes, etc. I have tried to plate roses but find it impossible to fully cover the low current density areas such as in the groins of the petals with acid copper plating solution can you advise me how to overcome this problem.

Eric Bradbury
plater - Lancashire, UK

----
Ed. note: Please carefully re-read Michael's suggestion on that specific subject. Thanks.

Q. Did anyone ever hear any more detail from Maoyou Liu, of Los Angeles, California, USA please?

I would be very interested in knowing how her process works, if anyone knows and can update this thread that would be great.
Thanks in advance

Anthony Bennett
- U.K.

Hi, Anthony. She was invited to publicly share anything she was willing to; but people who are in a business generally can't tell the world their techniques without endangering that business. Still, Michael P's suggestions sound right.

Q. Hi I have looked at the process of gold plating a rose, first the epoxy is readily available online, and it's inexpensive,however I have noticed that you can buy a metal epoxy, am wondering if you would still need the conductive ink which is quite expensive.

Can anyone answer thanks.

Alex Fullarton
- Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Q. Hi! Hopefully someone will be able to help with my inquiry. I have 2 four leaf clovers that I found in my grandfathers items that I would like to have gold plated and possibly have a necklace made out of them for my sister and myself. I had originally thought of buying a resin kit and making a trinket that way. He passed away several years ago so the clovers are very dried and delicate. Taking or sending them to someone in the current condition would be out of the question. How could I prepare them before taking them or sending them to someone to have them plated. Would a coat of epoxy be appropriate and if so what would be the appropriate application? Thank you!

Rena Mutter
hobbyist/customer - Lafayette Tennessee

To minimize searching and offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined multiple threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

(2005)

Q. Hi everyone! I have been working on gold plating things like car emblems, fixtures, plumbings, musical instruments, etc. But ever since I saw a web site that sells gold roses I have been losing my sleep nights trying to understand how is it possible. I would like to be an expert in this business (gold plated roses). Shall anyone help me to initiate?

Thank you very much!

Adilson Elias
Homeowner Gold plating - Itatiba, São Paulo, Brazil

(2005)

A. Dear Elias,

Doing gold plating on real roses is very hard because first you have to do silver paint, then after it dries you have to do bright acid copper plating, then bright nickel plating, and then gold plating.

If you want to do thick gold plating then you can do directly on copper.

I have been using this stuff, and it is real very hard job: it takes at least 8 hours to finish 1 rose.

Once if you try, it'll be good to know how much time and how hard the job is.

Dipen Pattni
Dipen Pattni

(2005)

A. Hi Adilson,

Firstly, I am not a plater ... but saw something interesting when we were last in Hawaii many moons ago.

They had gold plated leaves in the mall area ... and nearby was a plating shop.

Being interested (mainly in combating air pollution for chemical plants, etc.) I entered those premises ... I didn't get to see anything but was told that they only spend, I think, 5 minutes in a 'gold' bath.

This may well not work on roses, but quien sabe?

Food for thought, anyhow.

(2005)

thumbs up signI would like to thank Mr Pattni and Mr. Newton for their answer. I am still looking for new tips.

Adilson Elias [returning]
- Itatiba, Sao Paulo, Brazil

(2005)

A. HELLO AND HERE IT IS.

WE DO GOLD BATH IN OUR MANUFACTURER IN BRAZIL AND IT WOULD BE VERY DIFFICULT TO DO IT IN A PLANT LIKE YOU ASK.
WE HAVE MANY TYPES OF ROSE PLATED 18K THAT ARE VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND IF YOU LIKE PLEASE ASK ME ANY OTHER QUESTION THAT YOU MAY HAVE.
SINCERELY,

Julio Tardielo
- Miami, Florida, USA