Please Help with Anodizing of Titanium Difficulties

(2000)

I would like any feedback we could get on the processes involved in anodizing titanium we are still not achieving an accurate or consistent result. Should we be using a titanium wire as the anode holding the piece into the bath to avoid any deposition onto the cathode.

I am a jewelry manufacturer in Australia and I realize from reading many of your past letters a lot of your members have considerable knowledge in the plating of titanium. We are trying to get consistent results in various colours anodizing wedding rings.

We have a variable 100 volt rectifier x 5 amps which we do not have control over. The solution we are using is 10%water, 10% sulphuric acid and 80% phosphoric acid (we have had slightly better results using a weaker solution). The cathode is platinized titanium mesh and the anode (ring)is being connected by 3 mm copper wire.

Unfortunately when we perform the process the amperage increases much quicker than the voltage the maximum voltage I can produce before the D.C overload cuts in is about 20 v, and although we may reach 20 v the anodizing is only a faint yellow. Do we need to be able to adjust our amperage down (this is what I think is the major problem I would just like some more feedback), is there a particular cathode to anode ratio we should work to. Any assistance helping us to get an accurate and consist setup would be greatly appreciated. Regards

Aaron Jackson
- Australia

Ed. note: Sorry there's been no response, Aaron. I guess this subject was covered too many times and people got winded. Put 'titanium anodizing' in the search engine and you'll see dozens of answered inquiries, including your own letter 5888. Good luck.