-----

Choosing rotary dressing wheels to dress grinding wheels

I need to know the relationship between the Nickel coated diamond powder size on the rotary dresser wheel, and the grinding wheel grit size, and the finish obtained on the surface of the component (achievable tolerance).

I have searched on the net but there seem to be no research papers out there explaining this relationship.

I am looking at achieving a finish of +-0.003 mm on a profile of EN31 material.

Pradeep Sonawane
- Pune, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Pradeep.

Sorry, I don't know the answer. But I think you are complicating the problem by looking for a unified theory. Rather, I think you need to ignore the dressing wheel for a moment and pick the grinding wheel grit size based on the finish you are seeking. Then ignore the finish you are seeking for a moment and pick the dressing wheel based on the grinding wheel you are trying to dress.

thumbs up signThank you sir for the guidance.

Trial and error method is quite expensive because when I inquired about getting the rotary dresser from a company in china, I was quoted a price of 200 USD according to the exchange rate at that time.

From a technical point of view, your suggestion is brilliant and absolutely perfect.

I had done some research a year ago about how rotary dressers are made. What I got stuck with was answering how and why diamond was coated with nickel? I got an answer in this thread "31550".

So roughly it goes this way:
Diamond powder > Electroless nickel plating > Epoxy bonding on dresser wheel.

Pradeep Sonawane
- Pune, Maharashtra, India