Best process to color stainless steel eyeglass frames?

Q. Hi ... I am creating a collection of eyewear made entirely of stainless steel.
The pieces will be stamped out overseas and brought back to the US to be colored. I am having a hard time trying to find a way to color them. Does anyone know what the process is called or what questions I should ask? I want to know that I can have the front painted red (for example) and the back painted purple. I contacted a powder coater who told me it would be to thick and we wouldn't be able to put the screws or lenses in afterwards. I spoke to an electroplater who told me that they only do basic colours (black, gold, antique gold, etc) and should try to speak to a jewelry plater. I spoke to an anodizer that told me that it wouldn't work (can't remember the reason).
So they need to be chip free (at least for 4 years) and can withstand heat, wear and tear, sweat, etc. and be hypo allergenic. I know it can be done as I sell a very colorful collection, but what is the process?
Thanks for all your help in advance

Andrea Gotti
Designer - New York, New York, USA

A. Andrea,

In the posting Letter 24520 I have placed a photo of the colors that can be obtained on stainless steel. The anodized film does not change the dimensions, stable in heat, open air, tear and sweat.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner

Q. Hi All,

I am in the process of creating glasses from stainless steel and certain parts are silver soldered. I would love recommendations on how to get a great finish on both the frames and ear pieces. They have solder residue, heat discolouration and are dull in general. I was thinking a polishing mop, but would love your advice. Based in the U.K.

thanks in advance!

James

James Green
Maker - London, England

A. To my knowledge most eyeglass frames are polished in mass finishing equipment. The finishing media is usually dry organic products with a polishing compound for normally long periods. If your solder is rough, you may need to go to a more abrasive media product first. Equipment is determined mostly by quantity.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Nova Finishing Systems Inc.
Hatboro, Pennsylvania