-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

on this site
current topics

60,000 Q&A topics -- Education, Aloha, & Fun

topic 57491

SPCC vs. SGCC vs. SECC steel for computer cases

July 28, 2011

Q. For computer casings, there's 3 types of material, which are SPCC, SGCC & SECC. Can anyone help to explain to me what is the difference for these 3 types? In terms of what are their differences?

Wee Ming Low
IT Distributor - Malaysia

July 29, 2011

A. Hi, Wee.

Unfortunately, acronyms become detached from their source and then people don't even agree about what they stand for, especially when the original source is in a different language :-(

But, we have a thread that says:
- SPCC is "commercial quality, cold rolled carbon steel" per Japanese standard JIS G3141, so you might want to obtain that specification.
- SGCC is probably hot dip galvanized. Although some say that the "CC" stands for chromate coated, I disbelieve that and assume it means "cold rolled, coil" or "cold rolled, commercial quality".
- SECC probably means electrogalvanized (zinc plated).

So it sounds like SGCC would be appropriate for parts that you are going to paint or plate yourself, SGCC would be for maximum corrosion resistance (unlikely for typical computers), and SECC would be for sheet metal that you won't further treat. Good luck.


Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. - Pine Beach, New Jersey
Striving to live Aloha

August 11, 2011

A. Dear Mr. Wee,
All of them are based on the Japanese Industrial Standard for flat steel. SPCC is for cold roll steel commercial quality. For computer casing it should be SPCC-S.
SGCC is hot dip galvanized steel sheet commercial quality annealed.
SECC is electro galvanized commercial quality annealed. You will have a problem painting SGCC.


Kwee Voo
- Karachi, Pakistan

March 30, 2012

Q. Hello
We are asked for a quote where material is described: "SECC E16/E16 or SGCC"
Aren't those two qualities different (electrogalvanized and hot dip galvanized)?
What would be an alternative materials according to EN standard?

Jovtika Dali
- Lithuania

November 3, 2019

Q. What is equivalent material for SGCC ?

Where can I source for material SGCC ?

GC Goh
Wong Engineering - Kedah, Malaysia

November 2019

A. Hi, Exactly what does the acronym "SGCC" mean to you? Please explain in words exactly what product you want, then people can help you source it. Thanks!

If your question is actually "what does it mean", you must obtain clarification from the person/company who used the term; asking 3rd parties what a partial abbreviation/acronym means to the party of the 1st part results in the nonsense you already see on this page, where it might or might not mean "Japanese Industrial Standard JIS 3302 'SGCC'" or "steel galvanized chromate coated", or "steel galvanized cold rolled coiled", or "steel galvanized cold rolled commercial quality", or the same but with 'annealing' implied and/or 'hot dipping' implied:-) As a starting point please make certain that your customer means "SGCC per JIS 3302" because then there is actually no 'equivalent', there is compliance or non-compliance with what the spec says. Good luck.


pic of Ted Mooney
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET - Pine Beach, New Jersey
Striving to live Aloha is possible thanks to our supporting advertisers, including this shop:none


Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread SEARCH for Threads about ... My Topic Not Found: Start NEW Thread

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental Compliance

©1995-2020, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.