-----

"Tin Plating Process for Bearings or Babbitt Metal"

Current question:

Ed. note: Please!
No abstract questions.
Huh?

Q. Hi dear. I'd like to know about process of metal plating of babbitting. Can you help me please?
Thank you very much.

Reza abdi
Engineer - Tehran iran
^

Babbitt alloy

A. Hi Reza. Marilou has offered what seems like a workable process for tin-lead; however, there are many different babbitt alloys. Wikipedia offers a good intro to them.

I think the first steps are probably to determine which babbitting alloy you wish to deposit, and to investigate whether electroplating or flame spraying is more appropriate to the application.

(If you will be continuing the discussion, please introduce yourself and your situation. We don't even know for example if you're rebuilding an old car, involved with micro-machine research, or a marine engineer rebuilding the engines of a Suez-canal-blocking super freighter or super tanker. Discussing things in the abstract introduces so many ifs, ands, & buts, and so many broad fields that it can discourage readers from participating). Good luck.

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

.

Q. Dear Sir:

A client of ours would like to set-up plating line of Tin plating. I would like to solicit some advice or comments if this is the proper flowchart or process for Tin plating of a Babbitt metal used for shell-bearings of crankshaft. I don't have knowledge and experience on this kind of process. The following is their proposed Tin-Lead electroplating line processes:

P.S. I work in a government agency. I'm conducting Electroplating Processes seminar/workshop for the local industry in the Philippines.

Marilou E. Canones
Metals Industry Research and Development Center - Manila, PHILIPPINES
^

A. Hi Marilou. I can say that the process does not seem weird or improperly sequenced except that you usually need an acid-activation step between electrocleaning and plating. And usually you'll want a double rinse between all the steps except the two cleaning steps.

I don't know much about babbitt plating, but a quick read did confirm that a thin layer of soft tin plating after the babbitt metal deposition is often appropriate.

It is, of course, necessary to know what the substrate metal is before we can say that tin-lead can/should be deposited directly on it.

^

help wanted ad
Mfg Engineer - Chem Engineer [Santa Rosa CA]
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee WA]