-----

"Titanium clear sealing"

Good evening everyone.
I have a finishing problem on a Titanium plate which after being machined-polished tends to oxidate and become brownish. I am looking for some clear permanent lacquer to treat it.

The plate is cut and very light sanded, the end finishing is very smooth and platinum-like but after a few days the oxidation makes the pure titanium color brownish a little.

In addiction it takes easily fingerprints and to clean them up you make a disaster with any tested cleaning solution (a little better with pure water and robust rubbing).

The combination of fingerprints polishing and brownish oxidation creates brown shades on the platter surface which are very difficult to remove.

The solution I thought is to lacquer the plate with some clear permanent lacquer, non yellowing, UV and friction resistant (or it will soon spoil).
The finishing I need is Jewelry Titanium (like Ti watch or ring).

If someone can help I'll be grateful. Cheers.

David Suppo
product designer - Turin, Italy
^

We think that the cause of pigmentation is thin film of amorphous and/or deformed titanium on the surface. Such film is always formed after mechanical polishing of titanium alloy. Such thin layer of deformed metal is very easily oxidized, forming porous layer of titanium oxide, where you see yellowish spots or fingerprints. This thin porous layer can be removed electrochemically or chemically. See attached photo of electropolished titanium surface.

Contact us if you need help.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Lab

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner
^

There are some new nanotechnologies that you can try, like anti-fingerprints or easy to clean products, all of them very easy to apply and to check if it works

Ricardo Burstein
Bnei Berak, Israel
^