Allowance for Hot Dip Galvanize on External Threads

I have to turn threads on 3/4" rod then have them galvanized. Is there a rule of thumb to tell me how much to allow for the coating? How much over do I need to cut them?

Rick Emerson
Steel Fabricator - Harrington, Delaware

Sir:

My article, "Coatings on Bolts," in METAL FINISHING, Pages 42-47, Oct. 1992, which can be obtained from a large library though interlibrary loan for the page copy charges; it may be of interest to you.

There is a company that uses an automatic galvanizing device to galvanize threaded rod that should provide uniform and good threads.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota