Thickeners for Picking Paste

(2000)

Q. I'm interested in knowing what kind of thickeners I can use with strong acids, like nitric acid, to prepare pickling paste or a paste with phosphoric acid to phosphatize metal surfaces. I'm working with resins for coatings and paints in general, and this kind of knowledge helps me in preparing surfaces before painting. As I'm in Brazil, commercial names are difficult to find, so, I'd like to know the chemical names or the name of raw materials suppliers All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sergio Henrique Klein
- Novo Hamburgo - RS - Brazil

(2000)

A. Letters #188 and #3206 address what you are looking for. Good luck.

A. Dear all,

For thickening weak or strong acids you can use Ethomeen C12 from Akzo or Cecajels from Ceca. Cecajel 210 for many Weak and Strong acids (HF, Phosphoric, Citric); Cecajel 300 for Sulfamic acid; Cecajel 250 for Hydrochloric acid.

Hope this helps.

Ron Vos
- Hoofddorp, Netherlands

A. Hi Ron. Sergio asked for the chemical names of raw materials rather than commercial names, but thanks for doing what you could. I think fumed silica and barium sulphate are the most common generic thickeners, but probably not the equal of commercial products :-)