-----

"Watts Nickel Bath Info"

2000

Q. We have 3 drums of surplus nickel strike solution (we discontinued the process). I need to know the makeup of a typical Watts-type nickel plating solution for profiling for disposal. Or if somebody wants the solution...it uses Rolite nickel salts and you can have it and pay only the freight.

Rick A
- Gaffney, South Carolina
^

2000

A. In short:

There may also be some organic additives in small quantities, like wetters, brighteners, etc.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida
^

Q. What would be the chemical equation for nickel electroplating with nickel watts bath?

Shanmuga Nathan
student - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
^

"Science of Leonardo"

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. The simplest answer is Ni++ + 2e- --> Ni0, Shanmuga. But I may not fully understand your question. 'Equation', like other words, means little except in context.

One of the most fascinating things that I've read recently is "The Science of Leonardo" by Fritjof Capra .

Davinci was probably the greatest genius of all time, and he believed that the best "equation" for a horse was his pencil sketch of a horse. It took me quite a while to "get it", even with Capra carefully leading me, but 'equation' often means a simplification that helps us understand without losing too much. Hopefully the 'equation' for nickel plating which I offered you -- dissolved ions of nickel, with electrons subsequently added, equals nickel metal -- is the equation you are looking for. Good luck!

^

Ed. note: Please!
No abstract questions.
Huh?

Q. Could you suggest a best Nickel, manganese, cobalt plating bath/electrolyte composition over copper substrate. Also, its preparation method like removing of impurities.

Kindly help...

Chandrasekar M S
student - Mumbai, India
^

"Electrodeposition of Alloys: Principles & Practice"
by Abner Brenner

Affiliate Link

A. Hi Chandrasekar. Please introduce yourself and your actual situation because I don't want to "talk down" to someone who may know far more than me, but different metals have different electromotive potentials making alloy plating of this sort very difficult. It is not a matter of mixing a few simple chemicals; rather, at best, extremely tight control of pH, temperature, concentrations, and complexing agents is required. Brenner's "Electrodeposition of Alloys" runs to 1400 pages but barely scratches the surface for this alloy :-(

^