plating, anodizing, & finishing Q&As since 1989
Mixed bleach with acid and inhaled it
Q. Hi I was at work and I mixed phosphoric acid with bleach by accident we inhaled a bit of it then left the room for fresh air. But my throat was not burning but scratchy like I was catching a cold. My chest felt like some one was sitting on me. I felt better after drinking several bottles of water and inhaling fresh air. I wonder should I go to the doctor. It has been several hours and I feel fine. What would the doctor do that I can't do at home.Anissa Pendergrass
Custodian - Louisville, Kentucky, United States
November 21, 2008
A. Hi, Anissa. Glad you are feeling better. You have inhaled chlorine gas but it is certainly possible that you are fine; unfortunately it's impossible for me to hazard a guess as to what your doctor might or might not discover from examining you. And I can't comment because without medical training. I don't even know whether your doctor would have a particular test or inspection he would want to do based on the accident and your medical history. If you have a regular doctor, just phone the office, tell them what happened and let them decide.
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey
A. Chlorine gas is very irritating. I mixed bleach with potassium permanganate and it was very irritating. I was better after a few hours.TSL Lofland
- marshall, North Carolina
August 12, 2022
August 12, 2022
Magazine: "C&EN" (chemical and engineering news)
Article: Accidental mix of bleach and acid kills Buffalo Wild Wings employee.
Incidents like this, which create chlorine gas, occur more than 2,000 times per year in the US.
Be safe ...
- Winnipeg, CANADA