What is the best method for painting lead? (Ice fishing jigs)

(-----) 2007

I would like to start making my own jigs for fishing, but I don'nt know how to paint lead jig heads.
I'm told that you have to bake them but I don't know what temp, how long I should bake them for or even what the best method for painting them would be. So far, all the information I have found (not much) is that I should use powder paint. But I am not sure if I can't use dip paints or a airbrush to paint lead, let alone the painting process. I sure hope you could help me out. Thanks.

Brandon Histand
Hobbyist - Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America
^

2007

Thermoplastic powder (Nylon) appears to be the one that mf of lead weights go for.

Terry Hickling
Birmingham, United Kingdom
^

2007

Sorry, I forgot to outline the DIY application method.
If the lead weight (LW) does NOT require trimming when removed from the mould then whilst still very hot, dip into powder. The powder will melt and on cooling to RTemp, the coating should be satisfactory for yourb requirements. If the LW requires trimming then the LW will require re-heating to a point that the powder melts.
The powder requires to be fluffed up in industrial applications, they have a two-part container. A layer that allows air to pass up through it into the powder layer separates this. The air agitates the powder sufficiently to separate the grains but not so powerful as to create dust clouds. DIY equipment might be made using a cylindrical tin into which a separation layer consisting of a metal frame to which a cloth or lab filter paper can be attached. To input air into the bottom chamber you might try an air pump similar to those used by the tropical fish keeper - it may work but I have not tried. An alternative would be to immerse the hot LW into a container containing powder and shake to create a cloud.

Terry Hickling
Birmingham, United Kingdom
^