Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Rhodium electrodeposition is dull

2007

Q. Hello, I have a problem. I am producing rhodium sulfate. It's electrodeposition is perfect in color, resistance, brightness in polished pieces but, when used in dull pieces, it becomes dark in color when I scrub my fingers in this piece. What's wrong. What can I do?

luana macedo
Luana Macedo Vieira de Souza Leite
producer of rhodium sulfate
Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brasil

2007

A. Luna
Rhodium plating is always applied very thin. This is because of cost and stress in thick deposits.
Because it is thin, the brightness depends largely on the brightness of the substrate.
To make a dull surface bright by plating requires that the process has leveling properties and I would not expect any rhodium solution to do that.
It sounds like you already have an acceptable process

January 30, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi
We use pen plating for plating the rhodium over prongs of yellow gold. But the problem is, even after thorough cleaning, the rhodium remains dull and does not shine at all. It has blackness over it. Cam anybody suggest the solution?

Baljit Singh
- haryana, india

A. Hi Baljit. Rhodium plating is too thin to add brightness (specularity). If the prongs are not bright before rhodium plating they will not be bright after. You may need to nickel plate or white bronze plate before the rhodium. Good luck.

Q. Sir,

Thank you very much for the advice. Although I am not aware about the product for nickel plating through pen plating system. Kindly let me know, if there is any Nickel Pen-Plating Solution or if it can be prepared at home.

Baljit Singh [returning]
- haryana, india

A. Hi, Baljit. You can google for suppliers of brush plating solutions. While I will not tell you that you cannot prepare your own nickel plating solution, I can tell you that professionals don't do so despite their knowledge and high volumes ... so I don't think you ought to. And if you elect to use white bronze, that is a very complicated process which requires balancing three metals. Good luck.

Q. Hello sir; I am using white rhodium for fully polished surface of 18k gold but after plating white color rashes come like a burn surface. Voltage is around 4 to 5 and temperature 60 °C.

Dharmesh Pattani
Jewellery - United Arab Emirates

A. Hello Dharmesh,
You will want to make sure your Rhodium metal is sufficient in the bath. Plating at the same voltage as you do normally with a low metal content, you will see this condition. The sulfuric acid should also be checked to see if it is within range. Most rhodium bath solutions run at 2-2.5 g/l. Hope this helps.

Electronics plating - Winston-Salem, North Carolina USA

A. In addition to what Mark says lower both your temperature and voltage. Your plating out more hydrogen than you need to.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad