Sulfur springs turned my silver jewelry black. How to fix?

(-----)

A. I recently visited a hot springs and my ring also turned Black. I got home and cleaned it up, now it's back to New. I used gentle abrasive cleaning powder that brought the shine right back if not better.

TePaea
- Auckland, New Zealand
^

Closely related historical posts, oldest first ...

2007

Q. Okay well there are hot springs where I live and I went in them and my silver neckless and two rings turned black. is there any way I can get them clean again? Or at least not black?

Jess Clemons
student - Ventura, California
^

2007

A. Yes, easy. See thread 4785 for instructions on how to do a simple electrochemical process with aluminum foil and washing soda that reverses the tarnishing process. This will work even on spots you can't reach to polish, and there is no loss of silver as there is in polishing processes.

^

A. Toothpaste! Get a cotton ball and squeeze some toothpaste on it and rub your jewelry. I would use a white toothpaste and something that is a stain removing paste.

Christina Bracewell
- Deltona, Florida
^

thumbs up sign  Thanks for the tip. Cleaned my ring perfectly. I'll remember to take it off next time I take a mineral soak.

Charlene Mitchell
- Oceanside, Ca
^